Accurate Webley WG replica ~ Finally!

adventurestuff

Hey all,

Well, after about a year of working on it I finally got an accurate Webley WG mold made from an original. It's been a long road but I'm pretty happy with the results. Especially seeing that there's not too many options out there for the screen accurate WG. Here's one I did a minimal effort finish job on. I still haven't found the lanyard ring. If anyone has any hints or suggestions on how I might do that part it would be appreciated. I'm working on another one which will be much cleaner and have the finish details with weathering etc. I'll post pics of that one when I get it done.

Here's the first try:

IMG_7584.jpg

W.E.

Montana Smith

That looks really good, adventurestuff.

I presume it's resin, but it has a very realistic metal finish. I would really love to own, if not an original, then a metal replica.

I have a heavyweight Colt .45 replica that I've had since the 1980s, bought from a wholesale warehouse, back when it was still okay to make and sell accurate replicas (with working cylinders etc). They weren't even especially expensive, and I kick myself now because there were a big variety of revolvers to choose from, and they probably had Webleys and Smith & Wessons.

Mr. Fusion

I was able to obtain one of your 2nds on eBay last week. I really like it. I attempted to fix the hammer, but it failed. It broke, but I was able to glue it back on and it looks just like it did when I received it. I've begun to paint it, but I was unable to find the paints you recommended. I am no good with spray paint. So I sprayed on a base and will hand paint to finish. I'm very pleased!

adventurestuff

Wg

Yeah, the one I used to mold these copies is a loaner. I have to send it back after I'm finished with the parts mold.

I'm very much in the market for an accurate WG model. I see a lot of the MK IV and V models on that site but no WG models.

W.E.

Webley

adventurestuff said:
Hey all,

Well, after about a year of working on it I finally got an accurate Webley WG mold made from an original

That looks nothing like me.:p

Mr. Fusion

Webley said:
That looks nothing like me.:p

Cute.

Well, I've been working on painting mine. It looks pretty good, I think. A bit too grey maybe. I'd like some opinions. In the first picture I photoshopped out the wooden tabletop. I doubt it shows any extra detail. I just got bored.:eek:

JMKsWebleyWG312.jpg

JMKsWebleyWG35.jpg

JMKsWebleyWG38.jpg

I'm hoping to take some pictures of it with my full gear. Maybe I can get some in sunlight tomorrow if it's light enough.

S. Dakota Jones

It looks amazing!

I have the Denix webley and it looks the part enough for now. I even used it to weather/mold my Raiders holster as well as my ToD/LC one. I just couldn't stand one of them looking like they had carried a pistol in them and not the other lol. I didn't go all out though, just enough to tell it's had a large revolver in it. Left plenty of room for HE2/m1917 details when Todd gets more of his in :whip:

Mr. Fusion

jsarino said:
These look great...thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

S. Dakota Jones said:
It looks amazing!

I have the Denix webley and it looks the part enough for now. I even used it to weather/mold my Raiders holster as well as my ToD/LC one. I just couldn't stand one of them looking like they had carried a pistol in them and not the other lol. I didn't go all out though, just enough to tell it's had a large revolver in it. Left plenty of room for HE2/m1917 details when Todd gets more of his in :whip:

I really wish Todd could have made a deal with Tanaka to make the Webley.

Djd1

S. Dakota Jones said:
It looks amazing!

Personally I think it's a mistake to go over the top in moulding holsters. I've owned a few original WW1 and WW2 British army webley holsters and not one of them has had this look, or anything like it. I think the Raiders holster is just fine as they had it.

Montana Smith

Djd1 said:
Personally I think it's a mistake to go over the top in moulding holsters. I've owned a few original WW1 and WW2 British army webley holsters and not one of them has had this look, or anything like it. I think the Raiders holster is just fine as they had it.

I concur on that. The original Webley type holsters I have don't have a detailed impression of the gun they contained, just an area of stretched leather where the cylinder would have been.

The only holster I have that has a detailed impression left in it is a Price Western Leather designed for the Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special:

10114040173_e51ddc6828_o.jpg

10114039233_1a6472aae3_o.jpg

Djd1

And I rather think Montana that those were made like that for concealment and generally taking up as little space as possible

Montana Smith

Djd1 said:
And I rather think Montana that those were made like that for concealment and generally taking up as little space as possible

I would think so. The leather is very stiff, unlike that on the Webley type holsters.

S. Dakota Jones

Djd1 said:

I don't disagree at all. I just didn't like them looking so "brand new" or unused. I do like the more "vague" impression on my Raiders holster than going all out. Mostly I just wanted the impression of a revolver being carried in it while waiting for one.

Also, I figure there would be (some)more distinct impressions from fights, rolling around and always getting wet, etc. They don't look like the holsters shown above by the way lol.