Green Lantern

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
The Green Lantern has never captured my imagination, so this is one film I'll definitely go nowhere near.

I never had any interest in Green Lantern growing up at all, in comics or any other medium.

But this sneak preview looks very promising.

Judge it on its merits, not your history with the character!

:)

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
The Green Lantern has never captured my imagination, so this is one film I'll definitely go nowhere near.

Oh, come on, dude. The new trailers look really cool. And it's a really sweet universe, too. Give it a shot! :hat:

RedeemedChild

kongisking said:
Oh, come on, dude. The new trailers look really cool. And it's a really sweet universe, too. Give it a shot! :hat:

Kongisking is right. The WonderCon 2011 trailer has me tingling with excitement for this movie. Pirates of the Caribbean and Green Lantern are going the be the mainstays this summer!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

The DC universe apart from one corner of it (Gotham City) has never matched Marvel in my opinion.

Lance Quazar said:
I never had any interest in Green Lantern growing up at all, in comics or any other medium.

But this sneak preview looks very promising.

Judge it on its merits, not your history with the character!

:)

But what will we see? A man in green tights threatening people with his ring. The trailer looks like the same old stuff, without the weight of an interesting character to give it any ballast. :)

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
The DC universe apart from one corner of it (Gotham City) has never matched Marvel in my opinion.

But what will we see? A man in green tights threatening people with his ring. The trailer looks like the same old stuff, without the weight of an interesting character to give it any ballast. :)

Montana lets give the minds at DC Comics a chance to show us what they can do before we judge their work. You can't pass judgement on something based on what you've already seen in the past. The whole DC Comics vs Marvel Comics thing is no better than the idiotic argument of the Nintendo 3DS vs the Sony NGP in my humble, yea, very humble opinion.

I don't know how to make it any clearer but the Green Lantern is one amazing franchise. I'd also recommend you watch 'Young Justice' as that is one majorly good show along with NBC's The Cape. Oh, and btw I'm not a sole DC Comics fan. I'm enjoying Marvel's The Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes on iTunes.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:

I agree with you on this, but I still am willing to give Green Lantern a go, if only because Ryan Reynolds is totally awesome.

RedeemedChild

New Trailers!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KX0moL7c3tM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k34S296JIe0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k34S296JIe0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

kongisking

I liked that trailer quite a bit. The scale of the universe they are making looks sweet, and seeing all those alien Green Lanterns...wicked!

RedeemedChild

lanterns_of_ooo_by_shwigityshwonshwei-d32n8he.png
:p

RedeemedChild

Yes, I really got a nice feeling out it to when I found that picture.

So, are they going to feature the Green Lantern movie tie-in video game at the E3 next month?

Captain Craig

This is the superhero movie I'm most worried about doing well. I think the comic fanboy inside me will be pleased overall.
Not sure if it's going to connect with general audiences though.

Thor has opened well and will be over $100m by this weekend.
So, one comic hero down and 3 to go. Green Lantern worries me the most.

roundshort

Saw the Big Screen tralier for this one at Hangover 2, (awesome movie) and I have to admit, it looks like it might be ok. It also looks like such a convaluted backstory with so many characters that it will be 2 hours of story devlopement and 10 minutes of fun...

But the movie looks better than I thought it would.

Captain Craig

I attended an advance screener last night, here goes.

This will contain spoilers, if you don't want to be spoiled skip this post but do know this: THERE IS NO POST CREDIT SCENE IF YOUR CURIOUS---HOWEVER, THERE IS A SCENE ABOUT 45 SECONDS INTO THE CREDITS.

Grade: C

The movie opens with a narration about what the GLC is, what it's comprised of, how many sectors it covers and just what it is they fear: Parallax. How a noble Lantern managed to trap and entomb this entity in a far off sector of space :cut to our first scene:

At this point we open on a small moon where a crash landed alien ship is and 3 survivors are walking the surface. Their weight causes a hole to open in the surface and they fall through, down into the moon itself. As they stumble up they realize they are in a cavern and come face to face with the just described Paralax. Parallax is able to abosorb their fear and break free of his prison :Six Months Later:

We jump to OA, meet Sinestro, see a brief shot of the planet. He contacts Abin Sur whose on a rescue mission to help vicitims of Parallax whose been roaming the galaxy amassing power and destroying civilizations. Parallax finds Sur, attacks, mortally wounding him and he takes off for "the nearest inhabited world" :cut to Hal Jordan waking up next to a babe:

We meet Hal, he goes to Ferris, we meet Carol and are shown a scene of why Hal is fearless, brave, couragous, stupid or all of the above.

I really don't intend to do a full play-by-play, my feelings are that the movie is choppy, uneven and at times unsure of what it's trying to be. Is it taking the material serious and giving us a movie that is intense and serious OR is it going to be a rom/com/action campy flick? There are times when I felt it was working then abruptly shifted gears in tone.

I know on this site and a few others the Thor comparisons were made early based just on the plot synopsis and having seen the movie I think they are there in a few other areas. Sadly, they didn't put it together as well as Thor(and Thor wasn't perfect per se) but Thor did do it better.

Hector's Father, a senator=Odin
Hector=Loki
Hal and Thor are opposites: Earthman to Alien world, Godly alien to Earth

The movie needed more character development, badly imo. I don't buy Hal's friend in the movie as someone that would be close pals with Hal. No chemistry.

The one area of the film I was surprised about was Blake Lively as Carol honestly. She didn't look like Carol but I bought her hard nosed, steel reserve attitude that Blake brought to her. I did feel like Carol and Hal had a past.

Hammond has one really big action sequence near the end but I never fully bought into him as "evil" per se. Again, were they going for the sympathetic tragedy angle with him?

The movie kept telling me Hal was irresponsible, reckless and a possible aloof player but I never SAW those things. One chick in bed doesn't make you a player. Being late to work the one time we saw isn't irresponsible. He wasn't reckless in the faux dog fight, it's his job, like he said to "push the limits and test the prototype".

The screener was in 3-D and it was fairly effective for at least half the movie.

How was the CGI? He worked in more places than it didn't, I'll say that. They did manage to clean up a lot of it as most of us suspected but sadly with that much really alien landscaping and creatures when it's all there in a clump it shows in this case.

My girl-friend that I saw it with made the comment about Parallax at the end that she's seen that affect before, in FFour2. Which didn't cross my mind but really she's right. A giant malevolent force destroying civilizations as it absorbs them in it's mass to gain power & strength. It's seen doing this in the trailer so it's not a spoiler imo.

Summary: Forced, Uneven, Lacks Good Flow, Disjointed but good action scenes, some good 3-D for a change(cough Pirates,Priest).

Goodsport

RedeemedChild said:
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k34S296JIe0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k34S296JIe0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

A lot more here. :cool:

-G

oki9Sedo

God, I thought this was a disaster.

I'm very easy going and accepting with regards summer blockbusters btw. Indeed, I enjoyed every single tentpole film that came out this summer. But I this was absolutely diabolical.

And lets face it, he was a s*** superhero to begin with anyway.