New Indy Adventure Game?

indyjones2131

So we know that Lucasarts has teamed with Telltale games (Sam and Max) to create brand new Monkey Island Adventure Games in the spirit of the old series.

That's TWO Lucasarts adventure classics that have been remade by Telltale. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Full Throttle and Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle get the same treatment, but...

WHAT IF...

They did the same with Fate of Atlantis? Not a remake, but a new Indy adventure game! Hell, get Hal Barwood involved!

They need to do something to make up for the mistreatment of Indy recently.

Lord_glavin

it'd be awesome if they came out with a 'special edition' like they are doing with the secret of monkey island.

updated 1080p hand drawn images? yes please!

indyjones2131

Yeah a remake would be OK if the style was done well, but I was really talking about a new game entirely.

Obviously, Telltale would have to tone down some of the humor they are known for...

Lord_glavin

As long as they look at what were the strengths of FoA and Last Crusade and implement those I think new adventures, heck even an episodic game, would be pretty cool.

As long as the characters are solid characters, the story is solid and the puzzles are solid then I think they should go for it. If you really want it to happen though, buy a copy of the new monkey island games, if more people buy those Lucasarts will be more willing to remake and make new adventure titles.

Vote with your wallet I say

tocksic

Telltale wouldn't be my choice for an classic Indy adventure. I would pick Deep Silver (Secret Files Tunguska) or Unknown Identity (Black Mirror). They make great classic adventures. The games look great, the stories and characters are interesting and they have the right sense of humor.

Irfaan

indyjones2131 said:
So we know that Lucasarts has teamed with Telltale games (Sam and Max) to create brand new Monkey Island Adventure Games in the spirit of the old series.

That's TWO Lucasarts adventure classics that have been remade by Telltale.

Actually, Lucasarts are deveoping/publishing the Secret of Monkey Island remake from what I know, and they gave the license to telltale games to make one series of Monkey Island games (so far).

Nevertheless, I would love to see a new Indy game in the style of Fate of Atlantis as well, or a FOA remake with similar features to Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition remake!

indyjones2131

Yeah Telltale wouldn't be my #1 exactly either, but if they get Hal Barwood involved and keep the Indy tone and feel it could be good. Besides, considering the popularity of FOA and the success of Sam and Max and the buzz of Monkey Island, Telltale would be the most likely developer.

Morning Bell

I'd love to see another Indy adventure game but it doesn't seem to be a big priority. We were lucky enough to FINALLY see SoK get released, so the odds of us getting another big Indy game anytime soon is pretty unlikely.

Still, just the thought of another Indy point-and-click adventure makes me giddy as a schoolboy.:)

DocWhiskey

Konami is remaking TMNT: Turtles in Time.

It was an arcade sidescroller beat 'em up and then was released on the SNES. They're keeping it the same but just updating the graphics with a 3-d look, but it's still a sidescroller.

I wouldn't mind a FoA update like that.

The Tingler

That's Konami though, they like their old games...

Still, with the Monkey Island remake anything's possible.

Just not another Indy adventure game. Sorry, not gonna happen. Apart from this, but that's not coming for a while.

Irfaan said:
Actually, Lucasarts are deveoping/publishing the Secret of Monkey Island remake from what I know, and they gave the license to telltale games to make one series of Monkey Island games (so far).
Yep, that's right. LucasArts cancelled Staff of Kings to remake Monkey Island. :whip:

Trennas

A new Indy adventure game would be super sweet, but I'm not holding my breath for it. And seeing how Staff of Kings was rushed into publication, I'm guessing neither is LucasArts. Still, a lot of things can happen, so who knows?

It did made me wonder about the Fountain of Youth project. I'm looking forward to that more than ever, but they haven't updated things in a while so I have no idea how far they've come?

Also made me think about an old little project of myself. I started preparing an Indy Neverwinter Nights module a few years ago, but due to excessive lack of time never got around to actually work on it. I did manage to make this:

nwn_indy_01.jpg
nwn_indy_02.jpg

He even has his satchel :p

Maybe now that I have a bit more time, I might pick it up again :)

Perhilion

it'd be great if we got that sort of remake of FoA, but I don't think it'll happen. Lucasarts seems to have stopped giving a crap about Indy.

Nurhachi1991

Staff of Kings was a good game it wasnt great but it wasn't horrible.

I highly doubt Lucas arts will never make another Indy game again it's just going to take them about another 10 years :rolleyes:

bennihana123

I think Staff of Kings could have been released on the PS3/360 if they hadn't shifted all their focus on The Force Unleashed.
Yet again: Star Wars > Indy.
I do think a FoA remake could be likely.

The Tingler

Can't look at YouTube at work, I'll get back to you!

It did made me wonder about the Fountain of Youth project. I'm looking forward to that more than ever, but they haven't updated things in a while so I have no idea how far they've come?

Very far, and that's our best hope for a decent Indy adventure game, but you've got to remember the team's only doing it in their free time, so it could be a long time. The demo was awesome though.

Trennas

I know, its a gigantic task to create a game in your spare time (or even in your not spare time, speaking from personal experience), but it's hard to see the progress if there are no updates. Still, I hope they're still happily creating away, because I'm very anxious to see it :)

That trailer looks somewhat interesting. Might be worth checking it out :)

lornconner

I can fill you in a bit on FOY.

It's a project that's been going on for some time now, in the Fate of Atlantis style - there have been numerous changes in story and contributors since the project was first conceived several years ago, but I was brought onboard as the lead writer 4-5 years ago.

Since then, we've produced a demo which was well-received, and our artist Misjaa Van Latuum has produced some stellar artwork (some of which has been revealed, some which hasn't.)

During the demo production phase, we learned a lot. While writing the script, I was trying to write the descriptions of the scenes, objects that could be interacted with in the scene, as well as alternate dialogue choices, all verb interactions, etc.

This made writing each individual room very, very difficult. A little over a year ago, I geared up to re-write the script, movie-style. It became more important to flesh out the entire plot and major dialogue, which would allow the artists to work as I moved forward, and then go back and write out the branching dialogue/puzzles/verb interactions, etc.

This allowed us to work simultaneously, and my output on scripting exploded.

Internally, Misjaa has produced all but 3 of the backgrounds in the background, our Indy sprite has been pretty much locked, etc.

However, I've also hit some turbulence in real life - my girlfriend became unexpectedly pregnant, and I've been scrambling to get things ready for a new family (signing on a new house, making decisions about the building process, etc.) This has taken me away from active production until things get settled, but the rest of the team continues to beaver away at the build (one of the advantages to getting a little bit head in the scripting).

If you're interested in viewing some of the stuff related to the site, go to http://www.barnettcollege.com

I'm hoping after the baby comes and things get settled that I can jump back into scripting some more of the adventure!

Lorn