Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
I remember the pirate captain from that wearing tights and having a big red beard...

Haha! That sounds like Barbe Rouge in the Asterix comics, who'd rather scuttle his own ship than face the Gauls!

I only saw the first Pirates film, and thought it was all down hill after the great moment when Johnny Depp stepped off the mast of his sinking ship onto the pier.

The Sao Feng I have is bald with a drooping moustache, wearing long green robes.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #27
Joosse
IndyFan

Barbe Rouge was probably the inspiration for this one. His name is Crimson Jack, and Han Solo refers to him as 'Redbeard' all the time...

Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #28
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Barbe Rouge was probably the inspiration for this one. His name is Crimson Jack, and Han Solo refers to him as 'Redbeard' all the time...

Ah, those Star Wars pirates. I was originally thinking of the other Star Wars pirates with ships on the water, all very retro. The water world of Drexel II.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #29
Joosse
IndyFan

I know the ones you mean.

Don't they go there right after the encounter with Crimson Jack?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #30
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Do you mean Sao Feng? Or is there another Chinese character in the line?

There's another Asian figure from the "Dead Man's Chest" line called "Tai Huang" who actually bears a not-terrible resemblance to Lao Che.

He'd make a pretty good head for a Lao custom, but, unfortunately, he comes with a hat glued onto his head.

Some of the other Zizzle figures make decent fodder for Indy-verse characters.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #31
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I know the ones you mean.

Don't they go there right after the encounter with Crimson Jack?

I think the stories interlink, if I remember correctly. They were some wacky ideas back then, but I have fond memories of them - evemn Jax Jaxxon the giant green bunny rabbit!

Going back on topic, I recently bought a Harry Potter Gryffindor Common Room as Indy scenery. It was a bit disappointing, nowhere near as good as the Great Hall. The floor is made of cardboard and mine was warped. One day I'll probably plank it with real wood, which will conveniently slide under the raised fireplace. On the plis side, it did come with four straight back chairs, two tables, a sofa and two piles of books, all in perfect Hasbro Indy scale.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #32
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
There's another Asian figure from the "Dead Man's Chest" line called "Tai Huang" who actually bears a not-terrible resemblance to Lao Che.

He'd make a pretty good head for a Lao custom, but, unfortunately, he comes with a hat glued onto his head.

Thanks, Lance. Here's reviews of the four series of these figures on the OAFE site:

http://www.oafe.net/rustin/potc_zizs1.php

http://www.oafe.net/rustin/potc_zizs2.php

http://www.oafe.net/rustin/potc_zizs3.php

http://www.oafe.net/rustin/potc_zizs4.php

No picture or review of Sao Feng there, though.

The review of Tai Huang says: "His hat is a separate piece but is glued on, though it seems like it could just as easily be removable, making the glue an odd choice." So that sounds hopeful for customizing.

I have the coffin as perfect Indy fodder.

Last edited by Montana Smith : 01-03-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #33
Joosse
IndyFan

Well, they would bring out a version of Elisabeth Swan without any pants, now wouldn't they...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #34
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:

that's the one. I was just planing on getting anothiner henry senior, and a tai huang, taking the hand's off of henry and the head too, and painting his entire body flat black, and doing his shoes over in a glossy black, painting his boatie white and the buttons on his shirt white, changing the bowtie's shape with some sort of material that will harden, using the same material I would add on the hankerchief thing and his flower that's on his lapel. then cutting off the hat on tai haung and use something to build up the head, then working on the goatee to make it more subtle. Then poping the head onto henry's body and putting in tai's hands... and there you have lao che! sounds a lot easier than it will be

LANCE, on what thread in rebelscum did you see the custom lao?
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #35
Joosse
IndyFan

I thought about doing a headswap with a Henry senior and the hatless Indy to get myself an Indy in professor gear, but thought better of it...
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #36
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao che & sons
I was just planing on getting anothiner henry senior, and a tai huang, taking the hand's off of henry and the head too, and painting his entire body flat black, and doing his shoes over in a glossy black, painting his boatie white and the buttons on his shirt white, changing the bowtie's shape with some sort of material that will harden, using the same material I would add on the hankerchief thing and his flower that's on his lapel. then cutting off the hat on tai haung and use something to build up the head, then working on the goatee to make it more subtle. Then poping the head onto henry's body and putting in tai's hands... and there you have lao che! sounds a lot easier than it will be

It sounds very industrious Lao Che! Part of the job will probably be a tiny bit easier, as it seems that Tai Huang's hat is just glued over a complete head.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #37
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:
It sounds very industrious Lao Che! Part of the job will probably be a tiny bit easier, as it seems that Tai Huang's hat is just glued over a complete head.

"thank god"
-henry jones sr.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #38
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
LANCE, on what thread in rebelscum did you see the custom lao?

I'm afraid I don't remember, it's been a while. Couldn't find the thread with a search.

It was one of the primo Indy customizers from 2008-09. There were a handful of guys cranking out a bunch of Indy figures when the line was still new.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #39
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't remember, it's been a while. Couldn't find the thread with a search.

It was one of the primo Indy customizers from 2008-09. There were a handful of guys cranking out a bunch of Indy figures when the line was still new.

but it was in the creative:customizing thread was it not? Just don't want to start a wild goose chase
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #40
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
but it was in the creative:customizing thread was it not? Just don't want to start a wild goose chase

Yeah, but call up Sallah, you'll have to DIG!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:

Going back on topic, I recently bought a Harry Potter Gryffindor Common Room as Indy scenery. It was a bit disappointing, nowhere near as good as the Great Hall. The floor is made of cardboard and mine was warped. One day I'll probably plank it with real wood, which will conveniently slide under the raised fireplace. On the plis side, it did come with four straight back chairs, two tables, a sofa and two piles of books, all in perfect Hasbro Indy scale.

I really wish we could get those HP playsets in the US. The "common room", which was called the "room of requirement" during its initial release for the past film, looks especially cool. And, of course, the great hall looks sweet.

Sounds like the newest release has better accessories!

Any chance you could take some better pics, only found a few small ones on-line?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #42
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I really wish we could get those HP playsets in the US. The "common room", which was called the "room of requirement" during its initial release for the past film, looks especially cool. And, of course, the great hall looks sweet.

Sounds like the newest release has better accessories!

Any chance you could take some better pics, only found a few small ones on-line?

There are two versions of the circular playset - the first one (Room of Requirement?) had viturally nothing in it, and a blue floor, whereas the Common Room has the furniture. But bear in mind that the floors are cardboard, and seem prone to warping. I'm only using the furniture and books, and have boxed the room itself back up, and shoved it in the attic pending inspiration to plank the floor.

The Great Hall:

Last edited by Montana Smith : 01-03-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #43
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
There are two versions of the circular playset - the first one (Room of Requirement?) had viturally nothing in it, and a blue floor, whereas the Common Room has the furniture. But bear in mind that the floors are cardboard, and seem prone to warping. I'm only using the furniture and books, and have boxed the room itself back up, and shoved it in the attic pending inspiration to plank the floor.

Thanks for the pictures!

I really dig that HP stuff. The common room looks terrific. It would be great (with a little painting, I think) to make a private chamber inside a castle or a cathedral or the Vatican or any other cool Indy-esque location.

And I really dig the furniture and props!!!

Score another one for you lucky Brits!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #44
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Harry Potter Gryffindor Common Room tables, chairs, sofa and books in the Great Hall:

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #45
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Very cool, Montana!!! Thanks for the pictures.

As great a playset as it is, that Great Hall is just crying out for a repaint. That anemic, monochrome beige has got to go!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #46
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Very cool, Montana!!! Thanks for the pictures.

As great a playset as it is, that Great Hall is just crying out for a repaint. That anemic, monochrome beige has got to go!

It's more of a tan sandstone colour (I know what you mean, but it's not as washed out as the flash makes it appear).

A repaint would be a big job, as I would paint the walls black then go over with drybrushes of increasingly lighter grey. That's what I've done with 28mm reisn scenery, but this is somewhat larger in scale. As it is, it makes for a contrast with the grey Armies of Middle Earth Helms Deep, light grey Akator and Uncle Milton trap scenery.

As an instant diorama location I really like the Great Hall, and wish there was more like it available.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #47
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

You might not need to repaint the whole thing, just give it some weathering.

I have that Helm's Deep castle and I'm quite fond of it (though, truthfully, it's been languishing in the garage since the day I got it.)

Much better color scheme, though some additional detailing on it couldn't hurt!

But, the Great Hall is indeed great. I will be keeping my eye on those UK ebay auctions just in case one falls within my price range......though it's a long shot!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #48
featofstrength
IndyFan

anyone found a good fridge for Crystal Skull Indy? Ive been looking for one, most in hobby stores and doll house furniture, but nothing that make or scale.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #49
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength
anyone found a good fridge for Crystal Skull Indy? Ive been looking for one, most in hobby stores and doll house furniture, but nothing that make or scale.

I've thought of the fridge, but most doll house scales seem to be 1/12 or 1/24. Then there's the problem of finding a retro 1950s fridge. This could be a job for some sculpting genius to make one out of resin, and cast them up.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #50
fenris
IndyFan

Can anybody here help me with finding a leather jacket for my 12" Hasbro Indy figure?

I got the whip-action model, so there's no jacket.
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote