TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?
Absolutely!!! I'm in lala land 52 36.11%
Maybe...but not today. 53 36.81%
No, not with any of the current creators and members. 19 13.19%
Heck no, no denial issues here. 8 5.56%
I may not like it, but a Re-boot is possible within the decade 18 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_True_Believer
If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.
But if it was called "Mutt Williams and the...." , wouldn't that be Mutt's "own series"?

So basically what's gotten you so upset is the idea that Indy might appear in the movie? Why would that be a bad thing? I thought you like Indiana Jones.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
drwynn
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc
I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!

Yes...could be. But, at least the move to bring Connery in as Indy's father had a very intrinsic/instinctive logic to it regarding the whole origin of Indiana Jones. Spielberg himself said it only made sense for the original James Bond to portray Indy's father...since Spielberg wanting to do a Bond film was the entire motivation for creating/filming the first Indiana Jones picture.

I don't think that same kind of "balance" can be said for the decision behind Shia being in the latest or further installments...aside from the fact that Spielberg adores Shia and LaBeouf is the new "It" man in Hollywood.

And...I'm as big a fan of Lucas as most aspiring actors and filmmakers or even general film fans. I have great respect for him and what he's done...but, I swear...sometimes I think that he or someone close to him scours the Internet searching for the things fanboys hate the most...and then he simply goes out and does those things just to spite them and show that he has...

"UNLIMITED...POWER!!!!!"

Sorry...bad Emperor Palpatine reference!
drwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #28
gallandro
IndyFan

Seriously, some people on this board need to get a life. This is nothing new, there were already rumblings that Shia would take over the mantle from Indy after this adventure. If you don't want to watch it then don't go... jeez.

It's not like this isn't the first time this has happened with an iconic film character. Republic Picture's, Son of Zorro (1947), continues the adventures of Zorro with one of Don Diego's descendants. Two years later Zorro's grandson takes over the whip and black mask in Ghost of Zorro.

As for the cries that the Star Wars Prequels show Lucas has lost his mind.... WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Sorry they weren't the prequels you wanted but the success of the films both domestically and internationally show that the whining, rants of a small but very vocal minority were ignored by the general public.

Yancy
gallandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

The more I think of it, the more I can also see it working. New era, with a new young hero, with Indiana Jones present (not "reduced") as a paternal, guiding force for our new hero.....why not?

Seriously, lets forget Lucas, who everyone loves to hate and chooses to berate every time he opens his mouth, said this. Why not?

This would not be like forgetting or replacing Indiana Jones like he's obsolete. He'll always be there and be given all the respect he deserves. But in life time moves on, and new heroes come along.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #30
Agent Spalko

This ain't f'n Zorro the Gay Blade... this is Indiana F'n Jones and only Harrison is allowed to wear the fedora.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #31
H_Donovan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
That's not Indiana Jones 5. That Mutt Williams 1.5. Ford should flat-out refuse such a demotion.

I agree. I would not like seeing this series move towards a replacement. Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones. He is the lead or nothing else.

I hope Ford talks Lucas out of this. Even if Indy V were to have Ford as the lead actor, I'm not sure I want it then.
H_Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
drwynn
IndyFan

Shia LaBeouf as the lead and Indy as HIS sidekick? I saw this idea as a possible eventual reality...especially given the marketing trend for the new film; Shia's/Mutt's image seemingly everywhere that Indy's is. Do we really need to see Mutt's face right next to Indy's on the majority of marketing stuff? I mean...I can see why they're doing it (especially if Mutt truly does end up turning out to be Indy's film)...but, people have been waiting 19 years for a new Indy film. Shouldn't the focus be on just Indy? That's the character that's realy going to draw people into the theater...not Mutt Williams-Jones-Ravenwood.

Someone very close to me made a great observation yesterday while we were shopping for Indy-themed party supplies. She was sifting through the Indy plates, cups, napkins, and tablecloths...stacking them up in the cart, when she turned to me and asked;

"Isn't the new movie called 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'?"

I replied, "Yeah, why?"

She answered, "Because...the way they're promoting the film makes me feel like it should be called, 'Mutt Williams and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'."

That really sort of sums it up for me. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying I'm upset about the whole marketing drive...I just don't entirely understand it.
drwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #33
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
This ain't f'n Zorro the Gay Blade... this is Indiana F'n Jones and only Harrison is allowed to wear the fedora.

Who said Shia will wear a fedora?
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #34
nitzsche
IndyFan

Anyone who did not see Shia being groomed for his own adventure series is totally oblivious and ignorant.

Of course it's not going to be called Indiana Jones V, because Shia's character is not Indy.
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #35
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Who said Shia will wear a fedora?

I don't care, Shia ain't the star of Indiana Jones.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #36
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:
This is Indiana F'n Jones and only Harrison is allowed to wear the fedora.
Well, what about Sean Patrick Flannery? And what about the guy what gave the fedora to Indy in "The Last Crusade"?
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #37
A_True_Believer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper
But if it was called "Mutt Williams and the...." , wouldn't that be Mutt's "own series"?

So basically what's gotten you so upset is the idea that Indy might appear in the movie? Why would that be a bad thing? I thought you like Indiana Jones.

Of course I like Indiana Jones, and I would definitely go see a Mutt Williams movie, but to see such an iconic character play second fiddle just doesn't sit right with me. I'd rather them make a Mutt movie completely without Indy.

This is turnng into a rather interesting debate. I like this.
A_True_Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Well, what about Sean Patrick Flannery? And what about the guy what gave the fedora to Indy in "The Last Crusade"?

You know what I mean. It's about Indy not Mutt.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #39
nitzsche
IndyFan

Quote:

That's why he is not Indiana Jones. He's a different character. Isn't that a fascinating concept? He's a different person, so he has a different name. Ingenious!
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #40
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:
His character isn't Indiana Jones.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #41
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

Quote:

Geez...Larry Literal. I'm sure Spalko meant "wear the fedora" as a figure of speech to mean being the lead in an Indiana Jones or Indiana Jones offshoot type film.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #42
Agent Spalko

"Mutt Williams: The Adventure Begins" guest starring Harrison Ford. **** that.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #43
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:

But any further movies won't be Indiana Jones movies, they'll be Mutt Williams movies.

I look at it as similar to the situation with Iron Man. Just because Robert Downey Jr. will make a cameo as Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk, doesn't mean it's another Iron Man movie.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #44
Skipper
IndyFan

I certainly would welcome a new movie, but I doubt it will happen. And it kind of bugs me that Lucas is talking about this to reporters before Indy 4 even opens. Now the media is going to be obsessed with "Indy 5" instead of the focus being solely on "Indy 4."
Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #45
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
But any further movies won't be Indiana Jones movies, they'll be Mutt Williams movies.

I look at it as similar to the situation with Iron Man. Just because Robert Downey Jr. will make a cameo as Tony Stark in The Incredible Hulk, doesn't mean it's another Iron Man movie.

And that's why I won't be going to see them. Indy just died for me. They might as well have killed him off in Indy 4.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #46
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab Swordsman
Geez...Larry Literal. I'm sure Spalko meant "wear the fedora" as a figure of speech to mean being the lead in an Indiana Jones or Indiana Jones offshoot type film.
OK, Phil Phigurative.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #47
gallandro
IndyFan

Really, Agent Spalko, maybe you just need to move on to something else. You obviously hate Lucas and anything associated with him... you're obviously NOT going to like Indy's new adventure.

Save yourself the $8-10 dollars for your ticket, $5-9 dollars for drink and popcorn, and the gas money to get to a theater and go see Iron Man or something.

Yancy
gallandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #48
Indy4fan
IndyFan

What the *************** ************* $#&*#$*)@&@_& @_$$^*)$^_*$^ _*@^@_ @&_!+% Lucas!!!!!!!???? SHIA AS LEAD? NOOO!
Indy4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #49
The Man
IndyFan

Damn it, Indy, why didn't you pull out sooner on The Bantu Wind?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #50
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

I'm very much on the fence here. This DOES have the potential to work. I'm not saying it will work, but it could.

It'd be like ignoring and forgetting and replacing Indiana Jones as if he were some old, obsolete model. It'd be showing him complete disrespect.

Not necessarily. Indiana Jones will always be loved and cherished. But as life moves on, new heroes come and old heroes go, but those old heroes are remembered. New era, new hero, new adventures.

Shia Le Boeuf is too annoying to be the new hero

We'll have to wait to see the movie to judge that. They'd be different kind of adventures, presumably, less gung-ho fisticuffs and more ingenuity.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote