TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
JasonMa
IndyFan

Hong Kong?

Planning our first trip to Hong Kong in a couple of months. Anything particularly Indy-like I should plan on seeing while I'm there?
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Pale Horse

Go to Quarry Bay and have Bird Nest Soup.

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
Planning our first trip to Hong Kong in a couple of months. Anything particularly Indy-like I should plan on seeing while I'm there?

Nobody here has been to Hong Kong.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Nobody here has been to Hong Kong.
Well, if you don't want to admit to being a Hong Kong Rangers fan given their season, I can't blame you
Old 03-30-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, if you don't want to admit to being a Hong Kong Rangers fan given their season, I can't blame you

Nobody should support the Rangers. Or do what Pale suggested unless you want to eat something with the consistency of glue.

The China Clipper lounge on the 30th Floor of The Peninsula. Book the Fly & Dine package, because it's otherwise off limits.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Nobody should support the Rangers. Or do what Pale suggested unless you want to eat something with the consistency of glue.

The China Clipper lounge on the 30th Floor of The Peninsula. Book the Fly & Dine package, because it's otherwise off limits.
Sadly that's a little outside my price range. Too bad, because I'd love to see that lounge.

Actually considering going to a Rangers-Dreams game while I'm there.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Pale Horse

Quote:

You're no fun. LOL
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 AM   #8
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Sadly that's a little outside my price range. Too bad, because I'd love to see that lounge.

Don't spend all your money on the Disneyland Hotel*. If you email them, they might have an option for a flight only.

Quote:
Actually considering going to a Rangers-Dreams game while I'm there.

Don't forget to stand during the national anthem. It's going to be hotter than Angelina Jolie circa 2000 (or Shakira circa Hips Don't Lie), so be sure to allow yourself plenty of time in air conditioning. Bring Lamisil.

* - By staying out in Sunny Bay you're going to waste a lot of time commuting back and forth.

Get your truck back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale House
You're no fun. LOL

There are plenty of other weird things to eat that don't taste like glue. Century eggs and turtle jelly for example. Sea slugs too.

I'll write something more involved a bit later.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Don't spend all your money on the Disneyland Hotel*.

* - By staying out in Sunny Bay you're going to waste a lot of time commuting back and forth.
We're spending the first half of the week at the Island Pacific on Hong Kong Island. We'll move out to Disney for the couple of days we're going to spend at the park and to do the Big Buddha before flying home.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
...to do the Big Buddha before flying home.

Don't do this. There's absolutely nothing interesting or historical about it. Seriously, don't. Go visit the Wong Tai Sin Temple in Lung Cheung. Don't forget the Yarrow sticks. The Chi Lin Nunnery & Nan Lian Gardens are worth a visit too.

Hell, Ching Chung Koon in Tuen Mun is a better use of your time. Part of Enter the Dragon was filmed there.

Don't take the Victoria Peak Tram either. Catch the #14 bus near the Central Ferry terminal. It'll cost you significantly less, and you'll see a fair amount of the city.

Tai O village is one of the few remaining fishing villages in Hong Kong, and is worth a visit for the traditional stilt housing. They offer a pink dolphin tour too.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Don't do this. There's absolutely nothing interesting or historical about it. Seriously, don't.
Well we were going to do it anyway, just for the gondola ride, but we just found out that the gondola will close for maintenance the day we arrive through the day we leave. So now we're considering other options (including your suggestions).

One question my wife had, if you have some advice, is where to get the best evening/nighttime views of the city. We're trying to decide if we want to go up Victoria Peak during the day or at dusk and/or if there's a better option for evening views.

Thanks for all the tips so far, they've been quite helpful in our planning!
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #12
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

Dress appropriately...

Hong Kong (1952)

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote