TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What year do you think Indy V will be set?
1960 1 4.55%
1961 0 0%
1962 2 9.09%
1963 0 0%
1964 1 4.55%
1965 4 18.18%
1966 0 0%
1967 3 13.64%
1968 7 31.82%
1969 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Guess the year Indy V will be set

Now that we know Indy V will be set in the 1960s, guess the year.

My guesses, in order of what I think is likely:

Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
RaidersLovers
IndyFan

1970, if we make the same between the crusade and the skull.
RaidersLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Indy got his first real six string, bought it at the five and dime. He played it til his fingers bled, it was summer of 69. He and some guys from school had a band and they tried real hard. Shorty quit, Willie got married. Should have know they'd never get far....

(Okay, I got the obligatory Bryan Adams reference out of the way... carry on.)
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersLovers
1970, if we make the same between the crusade and the skull.

A. Steven Spielberg just confirmed it would be set in the late 60’s.

B. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out in 2008 and was set in 1957, Indy 5 hits theaters in 2020. So 12 years between the films = 1969.
Face_Palm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'm going with 1967. We shall see.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Raiders112390
IndyFan

It's gonna be so weird seeing "1967" "1968" or "1969" in the opening.

I really hope they don't push a feminist agenda, wherein Indy is portrayed as a sexist dinosaur and his young female assistant knows more about archaeology than he ever could and takes the spotlight from him every step of the way.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390

I really hope they don't push a feminist agenda, wherein Indy is portrayed as a sexist dinosaur and his young female assistant knows more about archaeology than he ever could and takes the spotlight from him every step of the way.

You forgot misogynist
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Gwydion
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390

And then he shags her.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Gear
IndyFan

Late '60s? Hmm, the era of a new age search for spiritual enlightenment, submerged remnants speculated to be Atlantis make headlines, activist groups in the West become more militant, cults, imfamous conspiracies, LSD used as a sort of new kind of "Blood of Kali"?... etc.

If written well, could be.. pretty far out.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Given Ford's age, I went late '60's and picked '68 because it was the most historically significant. Just ask Jaromir Jagr.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Raiders112390
IndyFan

If it does take place in 1968 that would actually be cool. Indy would have had a full 60 years of adventures under his belt, taking into account the Young Indy series (whose first adventure is set in 1908) and we'll be exactly 30 years from Last Crusade. A 60 year adventuring career. Not bad.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #12
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
Late '60s? Hmm, the era of a new age search for spiritual enlightenment, submerged remnants speculated to be Atlantis make headlines, activist groups in the West become more militant, cults, imfamous conspiracies, LSD used as a sort of new kind of "Blood of Kali"?... etc.

If written well, could be.. pretty far out.

INDIANA JONES AND THE LORD OF SUMMERISLE
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
Moedred
Administrator

I sounds like Spielberg says "It'll be in the sixties, something late in the sixties" but I'm not totally sure.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Gear
IndyFan

Sounds non-committal from Steve.

That being said, as much as I love the Beatles, if they go with the 'meeting topical figures' route, like YIJC and LC and aesthetically and musically KotCS, , they shouldn't pass up the opportunity for a Doors pass by, somehow. If they're gonna go that route. And, of course, if it fits in. You guys know why it could be great.

Break on Through the Fourth Wall (?)
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:27 AM   #15
DoomsdayFAN
IndyFan

1969 seems appropriate. Plus, if you factor in other events in the world at the time, I think it could make things interesting.
DoomsdayFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #16
Moedred
Administrator

Using math:
Quote:
Let us assume that sequels to Raiders of the Lost Ark that come out x years later, are set x - 6 years after it. According to this method, Indy 5 will actually be set 34 years after Raiders, marking it firmly in 1970. Apollo 13, Kent State, the Beatles breaking up — whichever screenwriter eventually writes the final draft would have a lot to work with.

However, we can go further. Using a linear regression model, I attempted to plot the pace that time passes in the Indiana Jones universe compared to our own. With x being years since Raiders in the real world, and y being years since Raiders in Indy’s world, I found that the line of best fit for Indy-time came out to y = 0.818024x - 1.87695. (That’s right: Indiana Jones only ages 82 percent as fast as we do.) Under this model, Indy 5 will be set in 1966: the height of the British invasion, the escalation of the Vietnam War, the last year of legal LSD.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:07 PM   #17
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Using math:

Quote:
However, we can go further. Using a linear regression model, I attempted to plot the pace that time passes in the Indiana Jones universe compared to our own. With x being years since Raiders in the real world, and y being years since Raiders in Indy’s world, I found that the line of best fit for Indy-time came out to y = 0.818024x - 1.87695. (That’s right: Indiana Jones only ages 82 percent as fast as we do.) Under this model, Indy 5 will be set in 1966: the height of the British invasion, the escalation of the Vietnam War, the last year of legal LSD.

I'm delighted by this approach.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #18
Pale Horse

I'm delighted that a Professor is delighted by the Socratic Method.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:39 PM   #19
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Using math:

Are we forgetting he drank from the grail?

Lets just have that be the reason to explains he's alive and well in the 21st century. Lets just make a hilarious modern-day slapstick comedy starring Indiana Jones! Can you imagine Dr. Jones reacting to an iPhone? It'll be hysterical! And in touch with the millennials! Gotta make sure that generation doesn't find themselves out of their comfort zone!
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #20
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Are we forgetting he drank from the grail?

Lets just have that be the reason to explains he's alive and well in the 21st century. Lets just make a hilarious modern-day slapstick comedy starring Indiana Jones! Can you imagine Dr. Jones reacting to an iPhone? It'll be hysterical! And in touch with the millennials! Gotta make sure that generation doesn't find themselves out of their comfort zone!
First off, I know you're joking there, but the Grail's effect's immediately diminish once Indy passes the Great Seal. And why the fear of millenials? They went in droves to see Crystal Skull, so why won't they go see Indy in the 60s? It's starting to become more than a little nonsensical.
Addendum: You might be referring to "Gen-Z" when you talk about millenials. I've made that mistake before, but the iPhone generation (as you allude to) is mostly made up of those born after 1994 into 2004.
TheFirebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:00 PM   #21
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird1
First off, I know you're joking there, but the Grail's effect's immediately diminish once Indy passes the Great Seal.
That's not how the Grail works. Indy has every benefit from the drink he had beyond the seal as he had within the temple.

The catch with the Grail is that in order to achieve immortality, you have to go back for more. As in, you can be a mortal in the open, wide world, or immortal stuck in that hole.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #22
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
The catch with the Grail is that in order to achieve immortality, you have to go back for more. As in, you can be a mortal in the open, wide world, or immortal stuck in that hole.

Is the water the key, then, to immortality or is it whatever liquid touches the grail?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:22 PM   #23
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
That's not how the Grail works. Indy has every benefit from the drink he had beyond the seal as he had within the temple.

The only real lasting "benefit" from the Grail is that it can heal you (used on his dad, who literally died thirteen years later) and that it can give you immortality (which is voided by crossing the Great Seal). So what benefits did Indy have from the Grail that I missed? It does nothing more for him at this point, and to suggest otherwise is to contradict what we've heard about the Grail in Indy lore.
I suppose I could've been clearer in my wording, however. What I was trying to say (and what I thought was clear, but on second reading probably isn't) was that Indy doesn't inherit any of the extreme longevity benefits that were promised with the Grail after passing the Seal.
TheFirebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote