Ronald Reagan

Maj. Eaton

Aaron H said:
Also remember that this is only President to win 49 out of 50 states in an election. (the only President to win all of the states was Washington, but there were only 13 of them at the time, so it is hard to make a compairison)

That fact alone should testify to the greatness of this beloved leader.

May he truly be in his "shining city on a hill". God bless the Reagan home.

Considering the State of the Union at the time, even I could have won 49 States...

Though I may not agree with his administration, he was an honorable man with principles, not unlike a certain Jones fellow I met many years ago.

monkey

To me, the three greatest US Presidents of the twentieth century, and the three who truly defined America in that century, were Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Ronald Reagan.

(I'm going to age myself here...always dangerous) I was in my second year of college when Ronald Reagan was first elected in 1980. I'll tell you honestly, many people were worried. They were worried about how a former actor, and a man who some perceived to be a 'right wing' "nut" was going to manage the United States of America; which by the way, was at perhaps its lowest ebb in decades in terms of pride, prestige, power, and purpose.

But Ronald Reagan rose to the occasion like no one anticipated. Not only did he restore America's Pride, Prestige, Power, and Purpose, but, as Margaret Thatcher, that Iron Lady herself said, he "won the Cold War without ever firing a shot".

We can all pause to thank Ronald Reagan for preventing the "Nuclear Winter" from ever visiting itself upon our Earth.

I was a member of the US Military during the 1980's, and I cannot tell you enough how much Ronald Reagan restored our Pride and sense of Purpose during that time. That legacy lives on today. You could clearly see it if you glanced for a moment into the eyes of those Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen who stood stoicly around his casket today. And you can see it in the eyes of every US serviceman and Servicewoman around the world.

God Bless Ronald Reagan

"Mr. Gorbachav, Tear Down This Wall!!"

THEY DID!!

Joe Brody

. . . I was a couple years younger than you Monkey but what I remember most from Reagan's first term (aside from him crushing the air traffic controllers) was the ballsy decision to put the Pershing II's in West Germany. In my opinion, that decision, more than anything, proved that Reagan was a true leader -- not afraid to make the hard choices.

[. . . and when I look at the recent aggressive behavior/posturing of some of the decision-makers from the Reagan Administration in the present administration, I have to wonder if there is not some untold story of Reagan being a source of restraint and good judgment. Starting with Grenada Reagan was painted as a reckless cowboy both here and abroad (sound familiar?) but when I look back at those years, it's clear that most of his foriegn policy decisions were the right ones.]

Luckylighter

Poem

Does anyone know the name of the T.S. Eliot poem the chaplain read yesterday during that service? I'm really curious because I've always liked Eliot, and I never heard that one before. It was an appropriate for a man like Reagan.

It really bothers me when I hear schmucks like Martin Sheen make dumba** comments like, "50 years from now, people will look back and realize that Bill Clinton was the greatest president we ever had."--actual quote from a Playboy interview.

I don't want to start a politcal thing here, but c'mon. Compared to Reagan? Reagan had morals, Clinton did not. End of story.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Re: Poem

Luckylighter said:
Does anyone know the name of the T.S. Eliot poem the chaplain read yesterday during that service? I'm really curious because I've always liked Eliot, and I never heard that one before. It was an appropriate for a man like Reagan.

Well, I am not entirely sure about that. It is from T.S. Eliot's best known play Murder in the Cathedral You can start by looking HERE for some initial information on it. It's Act 1 Scene 8. The minister paraphrased it a bit. Here is the passage he took it from:

"You know and do not know, that action is suffering,
And suffering is action. Neither does the actor suffer
Nor the patient act. But both are fixed
In an eternal action, an eternal patience
To which all must consent that it may be willed
And which all must suffer that they may will it,
That the pattern may subsist, that the wheel may turn and still
Be forever still."

Luckylighter

Re: Re: Poem

Pale Horse said:
Well, I am not entirely sure about that.

I just meant the part about "Neither does the actor suffer...", since Reagan was an actor and all. I wasn't going somewhere deep with that post, really, but...er...moving on.

Thanks for the info Pale Horse, it was driving me nuts trying to find that poem. You rock!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Since this thread originated, they've completed the Air Force One Pavillion at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley. I thought they were going to have to lose a wing or two, but it's all in that huge climate-controlled room with a spectacular view of the hills. Below the plane is a snack bar designed as an Irish pub named "The Ronald Reagan." The photo on the wall shows the President enjoying a pint of Smithwick's in Ireland. An ideal place to toast him (if only they served drinks).

(Also it's a good place to practice shouting, "get off my plane!" :) )

James Byrne

Ronald Reagan is Indiana Jones

I met Reagan at a Muhammad Ali weigh-in at Dublin in 1972. Somebody asked him about Ali and he said:
"I don't comment on draft dodgers".

Indy fans will get a kick out of the old movie HONG KONG. Reagan is wearing the same gear that his buddy Chuck Heston wore a few years later in SECRET OF THE INCAS.

James Byrne

Hong Kong

I would be interested to read opinions on the Reagan movie HONG KONG from Indy fans. Its quite astonishing how much Ronnie resembles Indy in this movie. Anyone seen it?

Stoo

James Byrne said:
I would be interested to read opinions on the Reagan movie HONG KONG from Indy fans. Its quite astonishing how much Ronnie resembles Indy in this movie. Anyone seen it?
Even though this is an Indiana Jones message board, you may be barking up the wrong tree, James, since "Hong Kong" bears no relation to video games, comic book super heroes or Disney films (which is what the present crowd seem to be interested in).(n)

Admittedly, I've yet to see "Hong Kong" and you're probably one of the few here who have (outside of maybe, Stephen Jared). The only Ronnie Reagan films I've seen are:

-"Dark Victory"
-"Bedtime for Bonzo"
-"Angels Wash Their Faces"
-"Knute Rockne"
-"Million Dollar Baby"

For a long time, I've been wanting to see "Hong Kong" (as well as "Sante Fe Trail" because he plays a civil war-era Custer). Lucky you.:)

WilliamBoyd8

I did see the Reagan film "Hong Kong" many years ago and immediately
noted the resemblance to Indiana Jones.

I never voted for him when he became a politican.

:)

Raiders90

Horrible human being who only gave a crap about his elite and the "Moral Majority", mediocre and wildly overrated president.

Forbidden Eye

Raiders112390 said:
Horrible human being who only gave a crap about his elite and the "Moral Majority", mediocre and wildly overrated president.

You do know you have 100 posts so you can finally get your precious avatar right?

Anyway, to get on topic (or at least to the reason why this thread was bumped) haven't seen Hong Kong yet, but want to. Is it true that there is an Asian boy who could be a precursor to Short Round?

James Byrne

Reagan as Indy

Stoo

The HONG KONG dvd I have just bought on the net is in pretty bad shape. It looks like its been recycled from a third generation video taped off the telly 30 years ago. If you want I'll burn a copy for you .... but I warn you ... its dire quality.

I knew the quality wasn't going to be up to scratch, but I wasn't bothered, because I just had to see this movie, having seeing a few stills of Reagan in his Indy gear. The resemblance is amazing, honest.

Let me know if you require a copy Stoo, its the least I can do for sending me a copy of VALLEY OF THE KINGS.

Stoo

James,

I would love a copy, my friend, and poor image quality is not an issue for me (as I'm a big fan of The Who and, over many years, have amassed a large collection of rare concerts/TV show appearances where the picture is terrible). If it's rare, image & sound quality doesn't bother me in the least...First and foremost, I just want it and only worry about upgrading later.:)
WilliamBoyd8 said:
I never voted for him when he became a politican.
I remember when he was elected and all the criticism surrounding the fact that he had been an actor.
Forbidden Eye said:
Anyway, to get on topic (or at least to the reason why this thread was bumped) haven't seen Hong Kong yet, but want to. Is it true that there is an Asian boy who could be a precursor to Short Round?
Yes, apparently it has an Indy-ish Reagan with a woman & and an Asian kid on a plane. Pretty danged close to "Temple of Doom".
Forbidden Eye said:
You do know you have 100 posts so you can finally get your precious avatar right?
Raiders112390 should get an avatar. I'm curious to see what he chooses. 4 more posts and James can pick one, too...:)

WilliamBoyd8

The California Republican party ran several film actors for office in the 1960's.

With the success with actors George Murphy winning a Senate seat in 1964
and Ronald Reagan as Governor in 1966, Republican officials approached
several other recognized movies stars, including James Stewart, John Wayne,
Rock Hudson, Shirley Temple, and Audie Murphy, about running for office.

Stewart, Wayne, and Hudson declined as they wanted to keep making movies.
Shirley Temple ran for Congress in Palo Alto but lost; she ran as a pro-Vietnam war
conservative in a college town (Stanford) district.

Audie Murphy was killed in an airplane crash while flying to meet advisors
who were going to straighten out his finances.

WilliamBoyd8

Another former president plans to run in 2012.

He wants to finish his fourth term.

He has had experience with depressions.

James Byrne

Fans of Lee Marvin will be disappointed if they are seeking to find him in his earliest appearence. Lee is listed in the IMDb credits of HONG KONG as a hotel guest or something, but I couldn't spot him in the movie at all. Maybe he was just edited out of the final print.
Fans of Indiana Jones should absolutely try and get a copy of this flick. Your mouths will drop to the floor when you first see Ronald Reagan.
Fans of SECRET OF THE INCAS might like it too - but its not really in the same class as HONG KONG was filmed on the Paramount back lot, with stock footage of Hong Kong lumped in.