Emperor's Tomb is like the Ark of the Covenant

Dust McAlan

It looks really pretty at first, and when you open it and get a good long look at what's inside, you exclaim "It's beautiful!" But the longer you look, the more you just sit there and spend time with it, the more it loses its charm until suddenly the beauty turns into flesh ripping ghosts and your face explodes.

I've never been so frustrated by a game in my life. I honestly just stopped caring. Just five minutes ago. I tried to finish it, died and died and died and died and thought "You know what? **** this. This isn't even a real Indiana Jones adventure. This is The Mummy's distant cousin." I uninstalled that **** quicker than Lucas retconning who shot first.

Dr. Wolfwood

I don't remember it being that hard - except for the fact that I had to dig out my slowest laptop in order to play it again about six months ago (apparently, the programmers didn't realise that computer technology would progress further than what it was at the time they made the game).

Certainly there were some annoying parts, like the jumping from one ledge onto another with a void below, and I seem to remember some big annoying crocodile creature level that frustrated me to no end...

Oh, now I remember how I got through it! I actually went into the game directory where the level files are located and replaced some of the impossible levels (after I had got frustrated with them) with easier levels from the beginning of the game... :eek:

DocWhiskey

Dr. Wolfwood said:
I seem to remember some big annoying crocodile creature level that frustrated me to no end...

When I played that level, there were so many expletives spewing from my mouth that...well...uh....yeah, I swore A LOT.

The terrible platform jumping, the horror! The horror!

I tried to replay the game recently but came upon that level and just turned off the console, made out with a rusty chainsaw, and proceeded to bath my face with salt.

I HATE that level.

The Tingler

"This isn't even a real Indiana Jones adventure. This is The Mummy's distant cousin."
Not that distant anymore, considering the next Mummy film is pretty much identical to Emperor's Tomb. Even the alive Terracotta Warriors have red lava-lines across them.

Quickening

This game is really easy even on the "Hard" difficulty level. Can't understand why so many people seem to have trouble with it. Indiana grabs onto any ledge all by himself when you jump so all you have to do is make sure you're facing the right direction and press the jump key properly.
The crocodile level is only risky in the first minute because you have to swim into the little side chamber and even by using the skulls the croc could be close behind. But after that it's just a case of using the skulls to get him in the chamber and trap him there. Once that's done, it's pretty much impossible to die in that stage.
Emperor's Tomb has its weaknesses but the platforming and difficulty are not among them. It was made for the brawling and it's great at that. It just lacks a coherent plot and decent puzzles. I uploaded a playthrough to youtube once on my last channel. It's gone now but I may do it again.

Dr. Wolfwood

Quickening said:
Indiana grabs onto any ledge all by himself when you jump so all you have to do is make sure you're facing the right direction and press the jump key properly.

Perhaps it would have been easier, but the slowest computer I could find to play it on was still so fast that Indy tended to "twich" a lot even at the slightest key press and thus timing the jumps became an ordeal.

Don't know if it might be a bit easier on a console...

IAdventurer01

Dr. Wolfwood said:
Perhaps it would have been easier, but the slowest computer I could find to play it on was still so fast that Indy tended to "twich" a lot even at the slightest key press and thus timing the jumps became an ordeal.

Exactly how slow is this slowest computer? My system's no slacker and I have no problem with it running too quickly.

Quickening

Dr. Wolfwood said:

No it's the way it's meant to be.

Ive just made a video going over the crocodile section and talking a bit about the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQFn7fdHSm4

Dust McAlan

Quickening, I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to set up ET on hard mode and see if it's any more or less difficult. The only way I can think that your video is showing a true hard mode is if the PC version has a difficulty bug. I played that same area on normal, and those shotguns slaughtered me. There's got to be some kind of logical explanation for this.

I dont know much about games but I am going to purchase a playstation 3 and was assuming that I can play emperors tomb on that console even though it was made for playstation 2,is that correct?

Dust McAlan

ninepinejones said:
I dont know much about games but I am going to purchase a playstation 3 and was assuming that I can play emperors tomb on that console even though it was made for playstation 2,is that correct?
PlayStation 3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games, but only if you buy the 60GB or higher. The 40GB system isn't backwards compatible for some dumb reason.

The Tingler

And if you buy it in the UK, Europe, or indeed anywhere other than the US or Japan, you have almost zero chance of getting backwards compatibility.

Even the Xbox version is supposed to have glitches in backwards compatibility on the 360. Y'see, this is why I prefer PCs.

PloKoon

bennihana123 said:
Gunplay is very very annoying in that game. I hope they fix it for Staff of Kings

Don't trip, that's being done by a completely different studio- Lucasarts themselves instead of some middleman company sponsored by Lucasarts (If I'm correct, not 100 percent sure it was done by a 3rd party or not).

:whip:

Gear

DocWhiskey said:
When I played that level, there were so many expletives spewing from my mouth that...well...uh....yeah, I swore A LOT.

HAHAHA

I felt the same way with GTA II, the missions were you save the boys from the shoot out at the gas station. I was.... a little upset, until of coarse I figured out how you were supposed to get through it...

Dust McAlan said:
PlayStation 3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games, but only if you buy the 60GB or higher. The 40GB system isn't backwards compatible for some dumb reason.

Thank you, good information.

Dust McAlan

The Kraken is a lot easier once you figure out how to shake off the jellyfish. I played the game on PC, so left clicking a lot until the jellyfish disappear is the way to go. Then you can get in a good shot.

Quickening said:
This game is really easy even on the "Hard" difficulty level. Can't understand why so many people seem to have trouble with it. Indiana grabs onto any ledge all by himself when you jump so all you have to do is make sure you're facing the right direction and press the jump key properly.
The crocodile level is only risky in the first minute because you have to swim into the little side chamber and even by using the skulls the croc could be close behind. But after that it's just a case of using the skulls to get him in the chamber and trap him there. Once that's done, it's pretty much impossible to die in that stage.
Emperor's Tomb has its weaknesses but the platforming and difficulty are not among them. It was made for the brawling and it's great at that. It just lacks a coherent plot and decent puzzles. I uploaded a playthrough to youtube once on my last channel. It's gone now but I may do it again.

Dude, you were Quickening666? Loved your videos man. Left you a comment once too on your Rise of the Triad video. Was bummed when your channel was taken down.