Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Seeing the cover just makes me more sad. The cover actually fits in with the rest of the novels (for some reason, the AotD cover does't follow suit in looks, though I suppose it did match with the adult novel of KOTCS).

It's pretty annoying to know that my fave Indy author has a novel that currently looks as though it will remain unread. I can't imagine what that must feel like for an author. He sounds frustrated.

IAdventurer01

Just more proof on how the whole affair was botched. It's odd what the game we got out was so mediocre and yet the game and novel that was cancelled still looks so good! :(

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
You can read the game scripts here.

Now that we have a cover I'll have to add it to the list of novels, as "coming soon" with Del Rey contact info.

Stoo

Violet said:
Seeing the cover just makes me more sad. The cover actually fits in with the rest of the novels (for some reason, the AotD cover does't follow suit in looks, though I suppose it did match with the adult novel of KOTCS).
Must agree, Violet. This is a GORGEOUS cover and makes a great match with the Bantam series. I'm in love with it. So nice to see Indy amongst the snowflakes but rather sad to know the book is just beyond our grasp!:(
Rocket Surgeon said:
In any event, for our posterity:
Also for our posterity, the artist's name is: Christian Guldager

P.S. Thanks for the finding the article, Mitchie-Poo!:hat:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Must agree, Violet. This is a GORGEOUS cover and makes a great match with the Bantam series. I'm in love with it.

It is nice, isn't it?:D

Here's some more of his work before turning pro...unless it all went down hill!!

_art_christian-guldager_swashbuckling-indy_380x540.jpg

_art_christian-guldager_the-eye-of-horus_380x539.jpg

_art_christian-guldager_the-lost-family_380x536.jpg

_art_christian-guldager_the-temple-of-the-forbidden-eye_380x540.jpg

_art_christian-guldager_deep-trouble_380x540.jpg

Last edited:

indyclone25

Christian Troels Tvernø Guldager is not a bad artist , if he stuck with it and learned to really use paint well ther would be no reason that he couldn't do a very well done painting. he like my artwork and i sent him a sketch card of indy. i will have to ask him by email and see if he really did it . i'll get back to you guys with the answer.:D

you can see more of his artwork on his facebook page along with covers of other books he has done .
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Christian-Guldager/126699076404

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Staff of Kings is Cristian's work. The other art is from the late nineties therefore giving him ten years to improve!

I suspect the lesser work was done in his late teens that would explain the variance in art.

Kredepops

Thanks all, glad you like my artwork for SOK. The artwork above is indeed almost 13 years old (I was 18 at the time) and in acrylics (which I abandoned mostly in favor of painting digital). I do work full time now as a freelance illustrator, doing covers for novels and illustrations for kids books.

I'm from Denmark, but this last year I've been doing covers for 7 Realms publishing in the US (I was very kindly introduced to them by Rob MacGregor). I've been doing a series of covers for their Indy/adventure-inspired novels 'Dodge Dalton' which you may like. All available on Amazon.com.

Anyway thanks for all the kind words about my SOK cover, there may be a possibility for a limited edition print next year for those interested.

Oh, I've also done two covers for Dale Dassel's excellent novel adaptation of Fate of Atlantis. One cover is viewable now while the other will be revealed when the novel is done this spring.

whipwarrior

Shhh, that information is only for Top Men! :cool: LOL But seriously, Krede's artwork is awesome beyond words. In addition to painting the cover to Rob MacGregor's recent novel Double Heart, Christian also did a really slick gothic-style cover for Rob's upcoming e-book Romancing the Raven. Krede is quickly on his way to becoming the Drew Struzan to Rob's Steven Spielberg! :)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Kredepops said:
Thanks all, glad you like my artwork for SOK. The artwork above is indeed almost 13 years old (I was 18 at the time) and in acrylics (which I abandoned mostly in favor of painting digital). I do work full time now as a freelance illustrator, doing covers for novels and illustrations for kids books.

I'm from Denmark, but this last year I've been doing covers for 7 Realms publishing in the US (I was very kindly introduced to them by Rob MacGregor). I've been doing a series of covers for their Indy/adventure-inspired novels 'Dodge Dalton' which you may like. All available on Amazon.com.

Anyway thanks for all the kind words about my SOK cover, there may be a possibility for a limited edition print next year for those interested.

Oh, I've also done two covers for Dale Dassel's excellent novel adaptation of Fate of Atlantis. One cover is viewable now while the other will be revealed when the novel is done this spring.

Lovely to see you here, a real talent and fan.:D

Lao_Che

Just from glancing the eBook thread.

Has anybody tried asking LFL if they'll release the book as a digital download? That way they don't fork out for publishing a book they don't think they can sell enough print copies of (although CELEBRATE INDY BOOKS ON KINDLE WITH THIS EXCLUSIVE ORIGINAL NOVEL has a nice ring to it ;) ), can gauge the market, and we get to read it.

Then you can start pushing for all the out of print stuff like the Young Indy books etc.

Icybro

Lao_Che said:
Has anybody tried asking LFL if they'll release the book as a digital download? That way they don't fork out for publishing a book they don't think they can sell enough print copies of (although CELEBRATE INDY BOOKS ON KINDLE WITH THIS EXCLUSIVE ORIGINAL NOVEL has a nice ring to it ;) ), can gauge the market, and we get to read it.

I suggested releasing it as an ebook in my letter to Lucasfilm, but Lucas Licensing President Howard Roffman suggested it was the publisher's decision. I suggested the same to Betsy Mitchell, the Editor-in-Chief at Del Rey, but she never wrote back.

But, that was a couple of year ago(!); ebooks have continued to take off since then, and Betsy Mitchell just retired a couple of months ago. Maybe the time is right to try again.

Plaristes

Icybro said:
But, that was a couple of year ago(!); ebooks have continued to take off since then, and Betsy Mitchell just retired a couple of months ago. Maybe the time is right to try again.

Do it! :whip:

Icybro

Plaristes said:

I did! I sent a letter a couple of weeks ago to Howard Roffman at Lucas Licensing. I enclosed a check for $200, suggesting (as politely as possible) that it be used to pay an intern to upload the novel using Amazon's Kindle self-publishing service. (According to MacGregor, the book's done, so there can't be much more to the process than that, right?)

I just received my response today (from his secretary):

"Mr. Roffman asked me to let you know that we are unfortunately not in a position to publish the novel, electronically or otherwise."

No elaboration. And they returned my $200. It's awfully nice of them to respond, even if it wasn't the answer we were hoping for.

I guess that's that . . . unless somebody else wants to try? They can't refuse our money forever! :gun: