Crystal Skulls? 2012?

otto rahn

Jeremiah Jones said:
Well the current archaeolgical line with the crystal skulls is that they're fakes, the only one that was ever considered the real deal, the Mitchell Hedges skull was reanalysed about two years ago and determined a fake (Plus the little snag about finding a record of it for sale in a French shop two years before it was supposedly found in south America)

The whole Mayan thing is just how their calender worked, in phases of thousands of years. Maybe something will happen, maybe it won't

The worlds always been changing, and yes it could all come to an end someday, but I imagine that by the time whats left of Earth is consumed by the sun as it becomes a red giant, the surface will barely register the scars that were left by humanity.. we'll be long gone I'm afraid.
The Mitchell-Hedges skull a fake ? That's dissapointing, but not unexpected.

Indy's brother

Morning Bell said:
As fascinating as the crystal skulls are, I don't see any evidence that finding all of them will have any bearing on mankind's destiny and the 2012 date, while fun to talk about, is pure speculation at best. It's simply when the Mayan calender changes and there's no reason to believe that anything big will happen. Granted, it COULD, but I doubt that it will.

In The X-Files it was revealed that December 22, 2012 is when an alien invasion and colonization of earth will occur. Now THAT would be interesting.:D

Feels strange replying to a post that's nearing 2 years old, but all the same, this is an interesting bit:

The Mayan prophecy to do with 2012 was that it would signal the return of ?The Nine?.
?The Nine? are mentioned in an inscription on Monument 6 of the Mayan site of Tortuguero, in the Mexican state of Tabasco. The monument was erected in 669 AD and is one of the very few pre-Conquest sources that mention 2012. Various translations or partial translations of the inscription exist. This is the most common one: ?At the next creation, the Bolon Yokte Ku, or Nine Support Gods, will return.? However, the actual word ?return?, sometimes translated as ?descent?, is not intact on the monument. Still, it is a safe conclusion to make that the missing word is return. Why? Because other Mayan sources reference the return of these deities at the ending of each baktun. Hence, they are expected to emanate on Earth in 2012 too.

I wonder if our alien overlords will come for conquest or to usher in a new age. I'm betting on conquest. That's usually what happens when a more technologically advanced culture interacts with it's lessers. All hail our alien demigods! Human sacrifice! Slave camps! Interspecies breeding! Tribbles! I hope they all look like that hot green chick from the latest Star Trek movie......(y) :hat:

WillKill4Food

Short Rounded said:
Historians and Archaeologists say that the 13 crystal skulls will be found and brought together when we need the knowledge most.
Story-tellers and pseudo-scientists, maybe. The whole hullabaloo about 2012 is as invented as Indiana Jones. But hey, it makes for a good fable (or maybe not).

Short Rounded said:
Now, does that mean we will find all of them by December 2012?
Jeremiah Jones answered that exceptionally well. No need to rehash it.

Short Rounded said:
What is the scientific proof that the world will end?
As tenuous as the concept of "scientific proof" is, the worst assumption that you (and others) make is that there is something there to begin with. People of Mayan descent today find nothing significant about the year 2012, but that should not be surprising considering that the ancient Mayans did not either.

teampunk

otto rahn said:
Damned shame we don't have any Mayan priests around to explain why their calendar runs out in 2012.
there are millions of myans living in mexico and central america. not a single one of them believes the worlds going to end next year. they are more worried about getting enough rain for their crops.

Gear

Can you imagine if geoengineering technology was used against the people in 2012? I can just picture the media puppets going on and on about how we are in dire need of ending global warming and therefore need a carbon tax, suggesting to everyone else that if we don't, the world will END on 12/21/12, because obviously that's what the Maya predicted, don'tcha know.

WillKill4Food

teampunk said:
not a single one of them believes the worlds going to end next year. they are more worried about getting enough rain for their crops.
Additionally, the Mayan Long Count calendar doesn't "run out" in 2012.

foreverwingnut

Mayan prophecy

The blueprints for the Mayan calendar were very recently discovered and outline prophecies for many millenia to come, so there should no longer be worry for anyone about a prophetic end of the world in 2012. Even before these blueprints were dusted off, I often quoted the only prophet with a proven track record in our own time- Edgar Cacey. While Mr. Cacey was deeply religious and earnestly believed in a second coming of the Messiah, he had predictions for many hundreds of years into our future. The legend behind the crystal skulls is a vague one at best and several of the crystal skulls have been proven to be 20th Century forgeries. The Mitchell-Hedges skull has yet to be proven imperically as a modern-day hoax, but the convenient circumstances surrounding its discovery are a bit questionable. Fake or not, I think people should take care they don't assume that physical items denote truth in very old legends.