Collecting Indy and dating

Kill Cavalry

You need some varitey, thats my advice! My room is completely filled with over one hundred books on the Civil War, nearly every Indy novel and collectible I could find, and other various random memoribilia for other periods and movies. It's cool for guys, especially other Indy fans, to check out your massive collection of Indy stuff, but my advice is if you have a collection don't let it consume everything in your room. Variety, variety, variety! Show all of your interests and don't make any single one look like a shrine.
I'm currently dating a brilliant and beautiful girl and I'm loving it. She enjoys Indy nearly as much as I do! Just don't obsess!

Tennessee Buck

Being a STAR WARS fan was always a no-no if you wanted to date someone, at least back in the 80's. Nowadays, I am not sure what women want...but I assume saying you are an Indiana Jones fan is okay. Since the early 90's, I sort of avoided STAR WARS and Indiana Jones. But now I am gearing up for the new film in 2005 and got excited all over again. I want to get a RAIDERS poster or maybe the LAST CRUSADE teaser poster, and buy that damn fedora which I lost years ago. I am even writing my thoughts on Indy for my site, not to mention thinking up images for a preview trailer of a story idea I have in mind. The point is that women are not always attracted to the idea that I love films...I tell them I made a couple of films for fun and that I write film reviews as a hobby and they usually turn away. It is my life, and so is Indiana Jones. But it does not run my life, and that is the difference. At least some women friends of mine like the fact that I love Stanley Kubrick. But Indy will always be a fave for me. Long live Indy!!!

Final note: I wish I met a female Indy fan. Love to hit it off with one. :)

http://www.geocities.com/faustus_08520/Jerry_at_the_Movies.html

Genevieve

From a female point of view, I dont think that I would be horrendously freaked out. I think that everyone has their one quirk or interest that is dominant. The last guy that I dated loved Japanese Style cartoons, and I have no real interst in them what-so-ever, and he really wasnt a huge indy or history fan but we dated for over a year and I still talk to him at least once a week. Like everyone else said, as long as you dont go extreme over it you should be fine. And i would have to admit, the hat and the whip thing would be quite interesting to see (in the cleanest way that can be taken, please!)

Minnesota Jones

Here's my take on it. I'm a hugh Indy and Star Wars fan, have been since the beginning. I did make a major mistake about 6 years ago and SOLD all my old Star Wars toys because my girlfriend/fiancee at the time was an evil *&@#$ and thought all that was just dumb. It's all gone now.

But here's the bright side. She's history. I'm now HAPPILY married for 1 1/2 years to a woman I've been great friends with for almost 13 years. That's the ticket. Be friends first. We both have a love of a lot of the same things. She likes Star Wars, and Indy both too. Also, she's into a lot of the same music, movies, foods, etc that I am. So we just "get along" swimmingly. And we both enjoy just having fun. As for my Indy collection, she's not in it to the extent I am (although she thinks it's all pretty slick), and that's fine with me. In fact, she WANTS me to have my collections, gear, etc. We don't have kids yet and as long as we can make the house payments, she's fine with it all. We even hosted an Indiana Jones theme party recently. We even got her the "Marion Dress" from ROTLA that she wore at our theme party. Now we're working on Marion's "Cairo outfit" for her. She's always enjoyed these kinds of movies, also loved Halloween and dressing up, all of which is right up my alley! But don't worry, she has her own hobbies too which she enjoys.

So the moral of all this is to find someone with similar interests you have. And it doesn't have to be someone who's as nuts as we are. And As long as they appricate the fact that YOU enjoy it is the main thing. If they like it too, that's a huge bonus. Otherwise, you'll be selling off your stuff if it's the wrong one, you'll be misarable, the relationship will not last, and then your collection is still all gone.

Oh, update - I almost forgot. We got her to crack a bullwhip last summer and she got hooked too! Now she has her own bullwhip! We're the only couple I know of where both Husband and Wife are whipcrackers! Ha!

[Edited by Minnesota Jones on 05-01-2003 at 02:03 pm]

Lon

Hey that party sounds fun! If you have any pictures I'd love to see them. What kinds of things did you do for it?

Minnesota Jones

The reason for the party was that we had a new 35mm print of Raiders of the Lost Ark showing here in the Twin Cities at Midnight at a local theatre. So a party was in order. I'm also a Star Wars fan and a member of the Minnesota Force (the local SW Gang). Had them and a few gearhead buddies attend our party and then off to the movie. At the party, we had some whipcracking in the back yard, had jello eyeballs, hearts, and brains. Watched Indy "inspired" movies upstairs, and I turned our laundry room into the Temple of Doom - complete with a dungeon under the stairs, red lights, candles, black plastic on the walls, fog machine, TV/VCR playing ToD nonstop, bugs and snakes on the floor, and even Kali Ma herself (ok, I turned the sewer pipe into Kali....). It was a blast. We even had a title for the party....

Minnesota Jones and the Party of the Temple of Doom

Here's a link to some pictures of the party on the web.
Midwest Summits: a website of pictures of our local "Midwest" Indy get-togethers (or summits as we call 'em)
http://members.tripod.com/~midwest-summits/

And the page directly related to the party:
http://members.tripod.com/~midwest-summits/templeparty/main.html

Enjoy the pictures!

Skeletor

I see threads like this come up a lot on various collector boards and my advice is always the same. Why not just date fellow collectors?

There are plenty of women out there that collect all kinds of stuff from Barbie to Star Wars. They might not have the exact same interests in collecting as you do. But as a fellow collector they will understand and not think your weird for obsessing over toys and memorabilia.

Lon

Those are GREAT pics! LOL. I love that Temple of Doom alter. Very creative. You people are who I need to be hanging out with.

I always thought it would be fun to have a group of people on Halloween and have a pic Indy party. I think it would be interesting to create OTHER costumes from the movies. Mola Ram just screams "Halloween costume." I always dress as Indy for Halloween and I thought it would be fun to have another person dress up as the giant boulder then have him or her chase me.

NileQT87

i really need to find some people like those. i see them on the net, and dont have the foggiest where they are in san diego. im 16, and the only obsessee of star wars ot, indy, and blues brothers that i know. so...should i be princess leia, indy, marion or elwood this year...hmm...or i could be jake if i stuffed my little body with about 20 pillows...nah. i do have the leia costume already though...hmm... ill get back to you all on that one.

Minnesota Jones

If you're in the San Diego area, I know a few gearheads you may want to hitch up with.... they're over on IndyFan's forum and IndyGear's Club Obi Wan...

Sergei - whip expert to all ends
Rick Blaine - Indy fan with a ton of knowledge on the clothing of the trilogy, also into A-2 jackets!
Plus don't forget, Flightsuits is in your neck of the woods in El Cajon, maker of the incredible Indiana Jones Expedition jacket....

Venture

Can I wax self-explorative for a minute? Granted, my wife still rolls her eyes when I pop in "The Last Crusade," but it's the spirit of the thing that keeps her butt on the couch. We are, after all, a celluloid society. Everybody finds something to hold on to from vicarious adventure, and anyone who doesn't admit it is a liar. Would I wear a fedora, bullwhip, and bomber to McDonald's? No, (at least not all three at the same time.) But I'm Indy all the way on the inside, and if that's a turn-off to anyone, they really need to get over themselves.

Patrick

No WAY! I wish I could do that... y'know dress like him... Act like him...
WOW that would be amazing. Of course if I did that now here's what
would happen: I would have to spend, I don't know $150 dollars? Anyways
after doing that I would walk to school with my mom (kidding. Not that there
is anything wrong with that) After I get there people would say " That kid's gay"
And "Your so poor, You have to wear OLD clothes" and " He's a poser" and all that stuff
Actually I wouldn't care abou those things really... But I WOULD be beaten up... Hell, There
are people who haven't heard of Indy in my school... and not foriegn exchange students, They
know of Indy... Hey I don't care... I'll DO IT! UM... Yeah... I don't care I'm an Indy fanatic but
I don't have a collection and I don't talk about him ALL the time*. And I don't think there is
anything wrong with that... Y'know how many people wear like those Ecko clothes and Phat Farm
things... It actually doesn't matter... AWIGHT!! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO GET YOU-KNOW-
WHO'S-CLOTHES? (Not the Internet and a store in CANADA) I'll check some Thrift stores to see If I can find
a jacket and I'll got to hat place ( Like you know sears?) and then back there for pants or thrift store and
boots from sears... Uh .... THE BEST. (I'll wear it everyday!)

* Note ALL the time