What would Mutt need to do to earn the "hat"???

The Drifter

The_Raiders said:
Exactly, with Mutt being older he's going to be in more modern times. And I think the Uncharted games have a big Indy feel to them, so using Mutt that way would be a great way to develop his character.

Great idea, Caleb.
I put Nathan Drake at around 30 years old. So Mutt would be around 30 in 1969 or 1970? (Stoo, I bet you would know this!). So, I could see Mutt being like Nathan. But, I really do think that Mutt being like Drake and a mix of Errol Flynn would work. Mutt uses a rapier and I could see him being a modern-day swash-buckler as well as a loose-footed treasure hunter like Nathan Drake.

The_Raiders

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Great idea, Caleb.
I put Nathan Drake at around 30 years old. So Mutt would be around 30 in 1969 or 1970? (Stoo, I bet you would know this!). So, I could see Mutt being like Nathan. But, I really do think that Mutt being like Drake and a mix of Errol Flynn would work. Mutt uses a rapier and I could see him being a modern-day swash-buckler as well as a loose-footed treasure hunter like Nathan Drake.

Thanks, Larry. :hat: As I said the general idea came from me and my brother calling Nate Mutt. So when Harrison is too old that'd be a great way to get some kind of adventure dose that came from the franchise.

AnnieJones

Jack Nelligan said:
What would Mutt need to do to earn what could be called a "passing of the hat" from Indy????
Although,he has been known,in real life,to wear a fedora.

Tuesday,February 10,2009
shia-labeouf-fedora.jpg

kongisking

AnnieJones said:

Tuesday,February 10,2009
shia-labeouf-fedora.jpg

My god, there it is again! Proof that Shia looks great in the hat!

BTW, I'm loving your guys' ideas concerning adventures for Mutt! Great stuff! Now, get going on an actual fanfic, so we can see your ideas blossom into total awesomeness!

Meerkat

I personally do not think Mutt should wear the hat. Sure, he looks great in it, but it really is Indy's hat. If Mutt ever wore it, it would mean they wanted to replace Indy, and Indy can never be replaced.

AnnieJones

Meerkat said:
I personally do not think Mutt should wear the hat. Sure, he looks great in it, but it really is Indy's hat. If Mutt ever wore it, it would mean they wanted to replace Indy, and Indy can never be replaced.
Indy is one of a kind!;) (y)

Jack Nelligan

Meerkat said:

What if Mutt only got the jacket from Indy? That could be enough to tie any future Mutt movies with the Idny series, but not take the main symbol of Indy and give it to Mutt. I agree that the hat should stay with Indy. Mutt can get a new hat.

Montana Smith

AnnieJones said:

Tuesday,February 10,2009
shia-labeouf-fedora.jpg

Shia does actually look quite like a younger Harrison in that hat. But it would still be hard to see him take on the iconic role. Will the tagline still read 'the man in the hat is back'? If it did they'd have to let Mutt adopt his father's nickname 'Indiana' otherwise it's going to be 'Mutt Jones and the....'

When Mutt's the same age as Indiana was in Temple of Doom it's going to be 1974. Is he going to be wearing the iconic outfit or a pair of massive flares? He isn't going to outrun many Russians in his platform shoes.

I just can't see Mutt having the same appeal. The original trilogy had the great 1930s setting, and even KOTCS had the older Harrison to keep it on track. But the adventures of Mutt will have very little to do with the things that drew me to the films in the first place.

DocWhiskey

Exactly. The more you try to assess where a Mutt franchise would go, the more outlandish it seems. I can't see Mutt hunting artifacts and running from warrior tribes in the late 60's or early 70's. It just doesn't have the same feel as the 30's or even 40's would. But maybe The Beards don't want it to have an Indy feel. Perhaps they want the adventures of Mutt to be something entirely different. But when you try to think that way, you wonder to yourself why he would get a spinoff anyways. He's not that great a character. When I think of a Mutt film franchise, I'm reminded of nothing but strange fan fiction. It's like Sallah or Shorty getting a spinoff. I just can't see it happening.

Sure, he's Indy's son, but so what? He's not Indy. I could see a comic book series, but I honestly don't think the interest will be there. If Indy himself can't survive with his toyline etc. how can Mutt? It doesn't seem to matter that he's younger and "cool", he's just...lame. He served his purpose in KOTCS. And that's all he was meant to do.

The biggest impact he's had on the Indyverse is that he's the guy that swung with monkeys. And that's it. He's Indy's son, yet that's what he's known most for. That alone closed the book on his "spinoff".

Last edited:

Montana Smith

DocWhiskey said:
Exactly. The more you try to assess where a Mutt franchise would go, the more outlandish it seems. I can't see Mutt hunting artifacts and running from warrior tribes in the late 60's or early 70's. It just doesn't have the same feel as the 30's or even 40's would. But maybe The Beards don't want it to have an Indy feel. Perhaps they want the adventures of Mutt to be something entirely different. But when you try to think that way, you wonder to yourself why he would get a spinoff anyways. He's not that great a character. When I think of a Mutt film franchise, I'm reminded of nothing but strange fan fiction. It's like Sallah or Shorty getting a spinoff. I just can't see it happening.

Sure, he's Indy's son, but so what? He's not Indy. I could see a comic book series, but I honestly don't think the interest will be there. If Indy himself can't survive with his toyline etc. how can Mutt? It doesn't seem to matter that he's younger and "cool", he's just...lame. He served his purpose in KOTCS. And that's all he was meant to do.

Yes, the idea of continuing with Mutt makes me think that the series would be aimed at a younger audience - as the 'Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' were. As 'educational entertainment', though, Mutt doesn't yet have the authority of his father.

To earn the hat he's going to have to spend a number of years studying history and languages in order to match his father's intellect. At the same time he's got to practice with the whip. And after all that he's got to learn how to act as well as his 'father': Harrison Ford has a natural talent. Ford was born to play Indy. He is Indy. That's where a lot of the magic lies, and one of the reasons why the Indiana Jones series has been so successful.

In the 'Passing the torch' thread it was suggested that Indy could be played by another actor, so that more tales from the 1920s to the 1950s could be filmed. This is one valid answer to the future of the franchise. But I have no idea who could fill Harrison's shoes, and master the role. It would be interesting to see, as long as it doesn't wreck the series by alienating older fans.

That's why I think it would be better to go the animated route - with actor-realistic likenesses. That way there could be new tales from the 1920s to the 1950s.

Jack Nelligan

Montana Smith said:
Yes, the idea of continuing with Mutt makes me think that the series would be aimed at a younger audience - as the 'Young Indiana Jones Chronicles' were. As 'educational entertainment', though, Mutt doesn't yet have the authority of his father.

To earn the hat he's going to have to spend a number of years studying history and languages in order to match his father's intellect. At the same time he's got to practice with the whip. And after all that he's got to learn how to act as well as his 'father': Harrison Ford has a natural talent. Ford was born to play Indy. He is Indy. That's where a lot of the magic lies, and one of the reasons why the Indiana Jones series has been so successful.

In the 'Passing the torch' thread it was suggested that Indy could be played by another actor, so that more tales from the 1920s to the 1950s could be filmed. This is one valid answer to the future of the franchise. But I have no idea who could fill Harrison's shoes, and master the role. It would be interesting to see, as long as it doesn't wreck the series by alienating older fans.

That's why I think it would be better to go the animated route - with actor-realistic likenesses. That way there could be new tales from the 1920s to the 1950s.

An animated series for TV would be fine with me and would serve to capture a new younger demo, but I don?t think they need to have anyone else play Indy in any prequele to KoTCS. If the next movie is set in the early 60?s, Mutt could have gone back and finished school, and maybe even joined the Navy and done some traveling of his own. Maybe he does a tour in Nam as a Navy Seal and after he is discharged, he is ready to help his father on adventures.

Montana Smith

Jack Nelligan said:
An animated series for TV would be fine with me and would serve to capture a new younger demo, but I don’t think they need to have anyone else play Indy in any prequele to KoTCS. If the next movie is set in the early 60’s, Mutt could have gone back and finished school, and maybe even joined the Navy and done some traveling of his own. Maybe he does a tour in Nam as a Navy Seal and after he is discharged, he is ready to help his father on adventures.

Mutt joining the Navy might take him too closely down the James Bond route (Commander Bond, Naval Intelligence etc), and into a whole career that takes him away from the archaeologicial routes of Indiana Jones.

I've always considered Indiana to be more a civilian volunteer - he volunteered with the Belgian army and became a captain during extraordinary circumstances (the battlefields of the First World War), but he got out back into arachaeology. Before the US entered the Second World War Indiana was undertaking aracheogical digs, sometimes in enemy held territory. His skills and his previous asssociation with US military intelligence (as in Raiders), lead to him working for the military after 1941, alongside Mac. It strikes me that this was merely a product of extraordinary circumstances again, not a desire to enter a career with the military.

I think the over-riding influence from father to son should be a love of history and archaeology, rather than military service. In Indy's eyes Mutt would earn the hat if he shared his love of uncovering the past.

To become a Seal would involve incredible commitment for Mutt, and would hamper his studies. He already has a lot of catching up to do on his journey from rebel to student to teacher. Much of the enjoyment derived from watching Indiana Jones movies is that for much of the time Indy's making things up as he goes along. In combat he's a dirty fighter, not a professional assassin.

If Mutt is to earn the hat I'd like to see him as similar to his father, otherwise future films might go too far the way of James Bond. Much of the charm of Indy is that he is often the underdog, doesn't always win, and resorts to underhand tactics to gain advantage. I like to see Indy 'winging it' rather than systematically planning his operations, as a member of the special forces would be compelled to do.

Last edited:

Jack Nelligan

Montana Smith said:
Mutt joining the Navy might take him too closely down the James Bond route (Commander Bond, Naval Intelligence etc), and into a whole career that takes him away from the archaeologicial routes of Indiana Jones.

I've always considered Indiana to be more a civilian volunteer - he volunteered with the Belgian army and became a captain during extraordinary circumstances (the battlefields of the First World War), but he got out back into arachaeology. Before the US entered the Second World War Indiana was undertaking aracheogical digs, sometimes in enemy held territory. His skills and his previous asssociation with US military intelligence (as in Raiders), lead to him working for the military after 1941, alongside Mac. It strikes me that this was merely a product of extraordinary circumstances again, not a desire to enter a career with the military.

I think the over-riding influence from father to son should be a love of history and archaeology, rather than military service. In Indy's eyes Mutt would earn the hat if he shared his love of uncovering the past.

To become a Seal would involve incredible commitment for Mutt, and would hamper his studies. He already has a lot of catching up to do on his journey from rebel to student to teacher. Much of the enjoyment derived from watching Indiana Jones movies is that for much of the time Indy's making things up as he goes along. In combat he's a dirty fighter, not a professional assassin.

If Mutt is to earn the hat I'd like to see him as similar to his father, otherwise future films might go too far the way of James Bond. Much of the charm of Indy is that he is often the underdog, doesn't always win, and resorts to underhand tactics to gain advantage. I like to see Indy 'winging it' rather than systematically planning his operations, as a member of the special forces would be compelled to do.

Just like Indy, who I believe did a little Bond-ish spying of his own during WWII, Mutt could use the military service as a good stepping stone to becoming an archeologist. I don?t think he would have to go down a James Bond type of path, but his military service could be just what a young rebel needs to help him grow up and be taken seriously by not only his father, but the Indy fans. Wouldn?t you find Mutt a lot more credible if he returns in Indy V having finished college, and having served his country in combat?

pellman

What would Mutt need to do to earn the "hat"???

Steal back the golden idol, which has been lost since the opening of Raiders.

Seriously. I think that would make a great opening for the next film.

It should have a cameo by Molina. Wearing an eye patch, as a nod to Monkey Man.

AnnieJones

The_Raiders said:
And personally I think the idea of Mutt having the hat is aweful also. But I think they could make something just as cool as Indy out of his character.
AnnieJones said:
I totally agree.They could do something like that with the Mutt character.(y)
For example,he has his own scar on the side of his face(Indy's is on his chin)or at least you would think he would have a scar on the side of his face,but I didn't see one in the wedding scene,anyway,he is good with swords and knives(Indy is good with a whip and guns),and he is afraid of scorpions(Indy is afraid of snakes).

This is one of my favorite scenes
picture5gfv.png

picture7nuq.png

picture8oeb.png

Last edited:

IndyAJA77

Would Mutt necessarily have to be an archaeologist? Henry Sr. was a professor of medieval literature, but Indy took his own path, though also ultimately wound up a professor. Perhaps Mutt could end up somewhere in the humanities and/or social sciences, but in his own distinct discipline.

Indy's brother

What would Mutt have to do to earn the fedora? Die in Indy 5 in pursuit of an artifact. Indy could put his fedora on Mutt's head after closing Mutt's eyes to cover his face, then Indy goes on a bloody rampage a few yards away to avenge his son's death. Afterwards the power of whatever the next Macguffin is can bring Mutt back to life, (kind of like the grail in TLC), and we get a tight shot of Mutt raising his head under the hat (Kind of like the reveal of adult Indy in the opening of TLC) cue gentle Indy theme....Mutt Takes it off, dusts it and gives the hat back, saying "I never want to wear that again" meaning of course that he doesn't want to die again, and that the fedora gives him the creeps now...ensuring that the fedora will ALWAYS belong to Indy.

The audience goes wild with applause.

Webley

Jack Nelligan said:
What would Mutt need to do to earn what could be called a "passing of the hat" from Indy????

What, if anything, would he need to do to "earn" the respect of the Indy lovers on the Raven?
In order for him to "earn the hat" he would have to magically turn into the world's greatest hero...
SHORT ROUND

Montana Smith

Webley said:
In order for him to "earn the hat" he would have to magically turn into the world's greatest hero...
SHORT ROUND

By the 1960s Short Round would probably have fallen from the true path, and become the head of some nasty Triad. Mutt and Indy would have to take down the Triad, but since Indy saw himself as Shorty's father figure - he'd have to leave the final act to Mutt (during which Mutt would earn the hat as Indy walks away from his adventuring life for the last time...) :p