General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
It certainly is pulpier, at least to my untrained eye. Roger Ebert also identifies it as being, as opposed to Raiders's "exotic road picture," to belong to the Impregnable Fortress Impregnated formula.

But I think it also has strong horror elements, with killers emerging from nowhere, magical blood, demonic possession, voodoo dolls, flayed human skins, and, of course, a heart being ripped out of its owner's body. After all, the India adventure was conceived <I>after</I> an earlier haunted castle idea.

Yes, but so does the pulp stories of the day. They were rife with horror elements. The supernatural, the occult (as in Doom's case), etc. That gives it an even better footing at being inspired by the early pulp stories.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Yes, but so does the pulp stories of the day. They were rife with horror elements. The supernatural, the occult (as in Doom's case), etc. That gives it an even better footing at being inspired by the early pulp stories.

Well, it has strong horror elements infused into an adventuring archaeologist story, just as Crystal Skull is science fiction infused into the same.

Along these lines, I've never quite known what the whole "Boys Own" thing means with regards to Last Crusade. I know Ebert's review talks about that, and I have a vague sense, but I'm not sure I see how that applies more to Last Crusade with the exception of the Young Indy and Henry Sr. elements. Is there more to it than that?

It possibly feels as though there are two different discussions going on here, as exemplified by Darth's "1950s B movie/sci fi." I've similarly conflated these ideas before, but there's a question of genre (or, really, genre additives) and then there's a question of form or tone or some better term that I'm not finding now. Complicating this even further is that each film is taking different mythologies and traditions and smashing them together.

It may be that Temple of Doom is the only one with any strong genre additive, with its horror elements, as even Crystal Skull, which has the second-best case, isn't so much science fiction as it is an adventure film using aliens as part of its mythological backstory. (In the sense that Roswell-style aliens + Meso-Americans + the ancient astronaut theory = the Crystal Skull mythos, just as early Christianity + medieval chivalric romance = Last Crusade's.)

What I'm loosely denoting as the question of form or tone is one that Darth's categories above, or the Saturday matinee serial/violent pulp fiction/Warner Brothers big budget adventure/1950s B-movie delineation that avidfilmbuff used to offer seems to be answering. Now, there's reason to doubt this sort of description in the first place, as has been mentioned before...

Stoo said:
Saturday matinee serials = "pulp fiction" and Hollywood made adventure B-flicks, too. While I do understand what you're trying to distinguish, there are traces of all 4 of those elements in every Indy film. Point being, Indiana Jones movies are NOT Bs! They are made from top-notch talent in EVERY area.

...but I nevertheless feel that it is quite easy and sensible to recognize that each of them has different elements to varying degrees.

Really, the genre never changes; they're always adventure films, in the treasure-hunting subgenre. But consider the Western: there are more urban, crime-related Westerns. There are ones with epic overtones. Some are closely related to the war picture, as with John Ford's cavalry films and other lesser pictures. There are family sagas, there are comedies, and there are sometimes even ghosts. (And this entirely leaves aside all of the definite subcategories that the Western itself has that are unique to it, including the three most obvious: settlers & Indians, ranchers & farmers, lawmen & outlaws.)

And just as the Western is often infused with some elements of other genres, so it is with the Indy stories.

None of which is to argue that there isn't room for more horror elements in a fifth film than Temple of Doom had, but I think it had more horror than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had science fiction.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
That would be my take...

1) Republic serials
2) Horror
3) Boys own adventure
4) 1950's B movie/sci fi
5) Spy/Espionage??? Musical? ;)

The Drifter said:
I don't see Doom as horror. Sure, it has horror elements (which I stated in another thread today), I see it as a homage to the pulp stories of the 20's and 30's. Raider's was a homage to the serials of that time, and I see Doom as a homage to pulp. Oriental Stories magazine, rings a bell in my head sometimes while watching Doom.

Attila the Professor said:
It certainly is pulpier, at least to my untrained eye. Roger Ebert also identifies it as being, as opposed to Raiders's "exotic road picture," to belong to the Impregnable Fortress Impregnated formula.

But I think it also has strong horror elements, with killers emerging from nowhere, magical blood, demonic possession, voodoo dolls, flayed human skins, and, of course, a heart being ripped out of its owner's body. After all, the India adventure was conceived after an earlier haunted castle idea.

The Drifter said:

Personally, KOTCS is the first film to feel like anything other than a direct offshoot of the serials. It's much more '50s B movie than '30s/'40s cliff-hanger. Though it might also be true to say that it reflects the time when the cliff-hangers had become poor parodies of themselves.

TOD ventured deeper into horror than the serials, but the story was inspired by them. From my viewing so far, Jungle Girl (1941) still looks like the main pulp inspiration, since TOD shares a number of the same elements with this single source. The difference is that the horror goes deeper in 1984.

In comparison KOTCS seems much more inspired by the '50s atomic age B movie, which might also be an element that was creeping into the bad serials of that period:

Review--Canadian_Mounties_vs._Atomic_Invaders.jpeg

Yet, Canadian Mounties vs. Atomic Invaders (1953) didn't concern aliens, but the more traditional pulp spy story.

KOTCS, however, sets a precedent for a move into new genres.

Montana Smith said:
Lucas and Spielberg are retiring and passing on the hat? :confused:
No! They accepted that they made mistakes. They want our love and they'll do what they have to to win us back!

They love us, they really do!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
No! They accepted that they made mistakes. They want our love and they'll do what they have to to win us back!

Spielberg might... but Lucas is still sulking in the corner!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Rocket Surgeon said:

Ummm, do you have any proof to back this???:rolleyes:

The Man

Lucas...like a BOSS!

It’s up to George. We have already agreed on the genre of the fifth movie, we already have a concept in mind. I don’t know where George is with the story. There is no Indy 5 until George says there is.

So what might this eventual genre be?

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

The Man said:
Lucas...like a BOSS!

Wow! So Lucas actually IS working on a story? By "working on a story", I thought they meant he's kind of sitting on his ass waiting to see if anything comes to him passively while he works on various other things, eg. Red Tails, Star Wars etc. I don't know he had been ACTIVELY working on it.

RedeemedChild

I just found this bit of news from Spielberg on the prospect of Indiana Jones V.

And what about the 5th outing for Dr Jones? No massive reveals but he does say intriguingly that they have decided on the genre..

It?s up to George. We have already agreed on the genre of the fifth movie, we already have a concept in mind. I don?t know where George is with the story. There is no Indy 5 until George says there is.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=50616

BTW I'm happy to see this bit of news but I'm still not going to rest my hopes on it for fear Lucasfilm might come out and say something like We have no intention of making a fifth Jones movie people

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
I just found this bit of news from Spielberg on the prospect of Indiana Jones V.
This has already been posted TWICE in this thread within the last 4 days. See 3 posts above yours & on the previous page.:rolleyes:

RedeemedChild

@Stoo, Oh my bad. I'm sorry. I was so excited that I didn't even check the above post. I'm a bit puzzled over the 'we've already agreed on the genre of the fifth movie'. Does that mean it's not going to be the typical fare we've normally seen in Indiana Jones? Does it mean it's going to be 'mystery' or 'detective' in the vein that 'Crystal Skull' was Sci-Fi?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
@Stoo, Oh my bad. I'm sorry. I was so excited that I didn't even check the above post. I'm a bit puzzled over the 'we've already agreed on the genre of the fifth movie'. Does that mean it's not going to be the typical fare we've normally seen in Indiana Jones? Does it mean it's going to be 'mystery' or 'detective' in the vein that 'Crystal Skull' was Sci-Fi?

Those are the conversations on the table, yes.

I suppose a fantasy thread is yours to begin, if you want it.

Montana Smith

RedeemedChild said:
Does it mean it's going to be 'mystery' or 'detective' in the vein that 'Crystal Skull' was Sci-Fi?

As to the genre, there's a rumour going round that Ron Jeremy's going to have a big part in it. So make of that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mungi

The Man said:

"No, no, no," he told The Playlist during press rounds this weekend. "It's not a new genre at all. [All the 'Indiana Jones' films], they're all the same genre. It's all the same genre."

So what had he meant with his earlier comment? "It's just the MacGuffin that changes. The MacGuffin was the Ark of the Covenent in 'Raiders,' the Holy Grail in 'The Last Crusade,' and the skull in 'The Crystal Skull.' That's what always changes, and that's what we always look for."

Spielberg said that the MacGuffin for Indy 5 has been determined, but that the story is still being worked out. How's it going? "We're hopeful," he said.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-genre-of-film-wont-change-but-macguffin-will