The All Things Alien Thread

Zorg

An useless bit of trivia about Close Encounters:

Wikipedia said:
Paul Schrader wrote the first-draft script for Close Encounters, entitled Kingdom Come.

If the alien puppets really do make a cameo appearance in KotCS, that's a funny little thing linking the two movies.

Deckard

I can live w/ dead aliens on an altar but if a maiyan temple rips itself from the ground and takes off twoards jupiter you better believe im driving right to Mr. Lucas's house to punch him in the mouth.

On another note there better not be some cave challange where he has to play that tune from close encounters that richard dreyfus figures out. I mean hey while were at it lets have Indy fight Bruce the Shark and then he can go get Shindler's List. Or maybe he can Save Private Ryan or get revenge on the Munich terrorists.

tnswman

Deckard said:
I can live w/ dead aliens on an altar but if a maiyan temple rips itself from the ground and takes off twoards jupiter you better believe im driving right to Mr. Lucas's house to punch him in the mouth.

On another note there better not be some cave challange where he has to play that tune from close encounters that richard dreyfus figures out. I mean hey while were at it lets have Indy fight Bruce the Shark and then he can go get Shindler's List. Or maybe he can Save Private Ryan or get revenge on the Munich terrorists.

HA!!

Don't hit him too hard or his Chin may flop back and hit you on the rebound.

I have to say, He will deserve it if the temple is a space ship....a dead Alien would be ......O.K.??? Maybe? Yea, I can go with that like the Crusader.

commontone

As the debate goes on, I will reiterate that I think the concept of aliens themselves is inherently OK. Yes, it has potential to be really bad, but as others have said so did the 800 year old knight. That was handled beautifully, IMO. It had an atmosphere of awe and seriousness, which was balanced with that great line of humor ("He chose...poorly."). I'm confident if aliens do somehow make an appearance it will receive the same cautious attention, and Spielberg will use his supreme command of craft to make it work.

One way I can see it working is similar to Marion stumbling into the room full of corpses in Raiders--something that's brief but definitely makes an impression. Indy could sneak into a room in Area 51 (or whatever military base set they built), and have a sudden awe-struck, terrified encounter with some Close Encounters aliens..maybe dead on a table, or perhaps alive behind a pane of glass...and as that brief moment of terror peaks he's yanked out of the room by a Russian officer, who has a snarky line that brings things quickly back to "reality." It might only be 5 seconds of screen time for the aliens.

Last edited:

Zorg

commontone said:
As the debate goes on, I will reiterate that I think the concept of aliens themselves is inherently OK. Yes, it has potential to be really bad, but as others have said so did the 800 year old knight. That was handled beautifully, IMO. It had an atmosphere of awe and seriousness, which was balanced with that great line of humor ("He chose...poorly."). I'm confident if aliens do somehow make an appearance it will receive the same cautious attention, and Spielberg will use his supreme command of craft to make it work.

My thoughts exactly!

tnswman

Zorg said:
My thoughts exactly!

I think we are ALL thinking that if handled with care it would fit in quite well with the other movies. However, If the Pyramid shoots off to outer space, That would be like the Knight getting up and fighing Like Yoda in Episode 2.

11thIndian

tnswman said:
I think we are ALL thinking that if handled with care it would fit in quite well with the other movies. However, If the Pyramid shoots off to outer space, That would be like the Knight getting up and fighing Like Yoda in Episode 2.

Even that could be underplayed. If the characters are inside the pyramid for most of it, with walls shifting and closing everywhere- then by the time they exit a tunnel entrance they turn and see this giant hole in the ground where they pyramid once stood. Then they look up and see this giant pyramid silhouette floating in the sky. Then- with a flash- it's gone.

All it will take is a bit of finesse to make these things work. As long as they're not obvious about it, it won't read as "sci-fi" but more like a twilight-zone episode where you're motivated to think a bit more broadly about the world around you, where not everything has a rational answer.

tnswman

11thIndian said:
Even that could be underplayed. If the characters are inside the pyramid for most of it, with walls shifting and closing everywhere- then by the time they exit a tunnel entrance they turn and see this giant hole in the ground where they pyramid once stood. Then they look up and see this giant pyramid silhouette floating in the sky. Then- with a flash- it's gone.

All it will take is a bit of finesse to make these things work. As long as they're not obvious about it, it won't read as "sci-fi" but more like a twilight-zone episode where you're motivated to think a bit more broadly about the world around you, where not everything has a rational answer.

Indiana Jones does not need to mirror the Twilight Zone.. Indy should maintain it's own reality.. and with any reality, some things can push the barriers too far....The bad part is that Lucas really thinks some of his bad ideas are REALLY good. Even a bad idea that would be handled great by Steven and the crew could still be silly and "off"

Zorg

Well, all of this adds to the excitement when the lights go out in the movie theater on May 22. :hat:

commontone

Imagine if the internet boards were around during the production of ET. What would you say if you were told, "There will be a sequence where the boy is riding his bike with ET, and ET uses his powers to launch them into the air, so he's riding his bike across the sky."

Sounds pretty lame in synopsis, doesn't it? But it's become an iconic image, that of the bike flying across the full moon.

Spielberg is great at that stuff. But if you *still* think the above part in ET is lame, well, it probably doesn't matter how the pyramid is done, you probably won't be into it.

sunshinestate1992

commontone said:
Imagine if the internet boards were around during the production of ET. What would you say if you were told, "There will be a sequence where the boy is riding his bike with ET, and ET uses his powers to launch them into the air, so he's riding his bike across the sky."

Sounds pretty lame in synopsis, doesn't it? But it's become an iconic image, that of the bike flying across the full moon.

Spielberg is great at that stuff. But if you *still* think the above part in ET is lame, well, it probably doesn't matter how the pyramid is done, you probably won't be into it.
veeeeeryy well put.

AHegele

commontone said:

well said sir.

Hammy Skillet

I'm pretty certain that the entire pyramid will not fly away at the end. A couple of months ago, I posted my could-kinda-sorta-be plot summary where I tried to tie together all known information. If anyone remembers that, which I doubt you do, I made mention that the Aztecs and Mayans built their temples around already existing previous temples - with each new incarnation being larger and taller than the last. They didn't demolish them and start over from ground zero. Lucas has said that they try to tie in historical fact in everything they do Indy related, and keeping all this in mind, what if the Mayans simply built their temple around and on top of an already existing spaceship? The most sacred innards of the temple would actually be the interior of this ship.

OMG dood, that would suck!!!11 Spaceshipz doo not belung in Indy Jonez!! LOL!!1 You r an idot!

Well. You know. With a few sacks of acme dust and vines draping everything, I bet you almost wouldn't notice. Maybe the architecture of the Mayans is taken from the decoration of the spaceship because they regarded it as a vehicle of the gods. In this way, everything would retain that Meso-American, old world Indy look. As an added bonus, it would actually make sense this time when the crew has to exit the temple in a hurry because everything is tumbling in around them. Outside, they see the ship crowning out of the temple and sloughing off tons of quarried limestone rocks.

And these Close Encounters aliens?

Like it has already been mentioned, if they appear, it will almost certainly be in the same fashion as that R2D2 and C3PO "cameo" in Raiders.

Sankara

That's right: The Entire pyramid will NOT fly away at the end. We are talking about an Indiana Jones-Movie... part 4 of the greates movies ever made.
We don't talk about Stargate-BS... :)

IrishLuck1980

I have faith that Spielberg will have the control as always in this movie. I trust his judgment. George Lucas on the other hand needs to just sit down and count his money.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Teaser Poster images

Look at the image in-between the Crystal Skull's eye sockets --- it looks very similar to a creature from another Steven Spielberg film from 1978! Interesting........

Mitchellhallock said:
Look at the image in-between the Crystal Skull's eye sockets --- it looks very similar to a creature from another Steven Spielberg film from 1978! Interesting........

I mentioned that it looked like there was another skull there...

I've actually never seen all of Close Encounters... just the first hour or so. Googling for pics of the aliens...

Finn

Staff member
What was the point with a new thread when there's this existing one this subject can nicely be tied to? Merged.

Remember people, less threads means less jumping around for the mods while they watch the tables, and less jumping around means less cranky mods. And trust me, you don't want to deal with the mods when they get cranky...

ChromiumBlue37

Good call, Finn!

There are so many unnesscesary threads, (especially in the collecting forum), that it becomes much too cluttered and very confusing!

commontone

ResidentAlien said:
I've actually never seen all of Close Encounters... just the first hour or so. Googling for pics of the aliens...

There's a new deluxe DVD edition out of Close Encounters...like "Blade Runner" it's been presented in several versions, and the new DVD lets you choose between all 3.

Check out the 1998 "director's cut," by consensus the best version. If you like Spielberg enough to like Indiana Jones, it's definitely worth a few hours of your time...especially with these alien rumors bouncing around.