General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

QBComics said:
I'd like a Chinese adventure, mabey in the moutains or something. I think a chase scene up a side of a mountain would be superb, except with as little CGI as they can give us. ;)

I'd like China too. However, I think if we get another Indy movie it won't be any more exotic than KOTCS. They may get a few plate shots of Moscow, Beijing, Vietnam or wherever... but I think all things considered, the Indy gang ain't gonna traverse the world anymore (although I'd like to be proved wrong).

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:
I'd like China too. However, I think if we get another Indy movie it won't be any more exotic than KOTCS. They may get a few plate shots of Moscow, Beijing, Vietnam or wherever... but I think all things considered, the Indy gang ain't gonna traverse the world anymore (although I'd like to be proved wrong).

Yeah I wish they'd do it. Because to me that would say they are more dedicated to making it like back in the old days. Willing to go to these exotic locations for real to shoot there for real.

Indy's brother

The Man said:
True, there's nothing ill-fitting about the older Ford. Just give him something more and better to do next time. Stick him on a horse..!

John wayne made Rooster Cogburn at the age of 67, and was in a lot worse shape than Ford. As far as an action hero goes, Jones could pull it off at any age because of the way the character is written. He's not a martial artist, so his aging body does not have to defy the laws of physics. Indy is a fallible guy who is just really good at wiggling out of bad situations. As far as action goes with Indy, he only needs to be physically capable of punching, and getting punched. If he 's too old and brittle to do that, he still has a whip and a gun (which I guess they are saving for the next film). Have him get in a car chase, or as The Man so wisely suggested, stick him on a horse. As long as ford can still stand up, he should be able to pull it off. As a footnote, being in such great shape didn't hurt him any in skull. The guy shed 10 years to make this one.

TheMutt92

bergstrom said:
So, any preferential contender for screenwriter of Indy 5. I think we can count Frank darabont out.

Who really knows though? As for me...

Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio I thought would be interesting. One (or both!) of the Nolan brothers would be a dream (though I don't know if they'd mesh), other than that... can't really think of any writers that really jump off the page as an Indy writer.

IndyFan89

Lawrence Kasdan is still around, I don't understand why he doesn't write it for old times sake.

Or...um...us!

Why don't we "sensible" Indy fans, that didn't like KOCS :p , team up and write the next adventure.

I'm sure if we put our heads together, we can get it in front of Spielberg or Lucas.

Divided we fall but, united, oh you know the rest...

DIrishB

IndyFan89 said:
Lawrence Kasdan is still around, I don't understand why he doesn't write it for old times sake.

Or...um...us!

That'd be great. Another Kasdan-penned Indy movie would be my preferred route for Indy 5.

Why don't we "sensible" Indy fans, that didn't like KOCS :p , team up and write the next adventure.

I'm sure if we put our heads together, we can get it in front of Spielberg or Lucas.

Divided we fall but, united, oh you know the rest...

The only problem with that is Lucas' ego and legal department are both far too huge to ever allow him to accept someone else's ideas on his character(s). Thats why it took 20 years for Crystal Skull, and thats only because I think he managed to finally wear Speilberg and Ford down. That George Lucas is one stubborn SOB.

;)

Darth Vile

DIrishB said:
That'd be great. Another Kasdan-penned Indy movie would be my preferred route for Indy 5.

The only problem with that is Lucas' ego and legal department are both far too huge to ever allow him to accept someone else's ideas on his character(s). Thats why it took 20 years for Crystal Skull, and thats only because I think he managed to finally wear Speilberg and Ford down. That George Lucas is one stubborn SOB.

;)

It's quite obvious from the docs on the DVD that it was Ford who was proactivley pushing for another movie. Once Lucas was convicned, he then took up the mantle to persuade Spielberg. Also - ROTLA, TOD, TLC & KOTCS are Spielbergs movies (he has to take credit, or applicable bashing), but it is Lucas' concept. And a great concept it is too. Ultimately, I think Lucas has the right to come up with the premise (if not the script). I certainly don't want 'Saucermen from Mars', but even worse (IMHO) is the thought of fan fiction dross.

arkfinder

Here's a tidbit from "Movie Moron."

Indiana Jones 5 - Sequel Plans
With Harrison Ford already 65, the notion of an Indiana Jones 5 might seem ridiculous. But another sequel is, in fact, quite possible?

In the 1980s there were originally 5 Indiana Jones movies planned. The 19 year delay since The Last Crusade was due to a disagreement over the direction of the story. That has now been resolved.

Spielberg says he became particularly interested in returning to the series after his son asked when the remaining two would be released. All of which means? we?re still one short.

Spielberg stated at the Cannes press conference that he was indeed open to making another film if the public wanted more. ?That?s why we made this Indiana Jones. We?ll certainly have our ear to the ground to hear what happens. That?ll decide were we go from here.?

Given that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull will, without doubt, be one of the biggest financial hits of the year, and the critical response has been good? this criteria has been met.

For his part Harrison Ford said last week ?Till they tell me otherwise, I will continue to be Indiana Jones.?

But here?s the kicker. Don?t expect Indiana Jones to be the lead in Indiana Jones 5. George Lucas explained to reporters at a recent premiere ?I have an idea to make Shia [LaBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.?

It doesn?t get much more black and white than that.

Leave your thoughts on Indiana Jones 5 in the comments.

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=453

metalinvader

arkfinder said:
Here's a tidbit from "Movie Moron."

Indiana Jones 5 - Sequel Plans
With Harrison Ford already 65, the notion of an Indiana Jones 5 might seem ridiculous. But another sequel is, in fact, quite possible?

In the 1980s there were originally 5 Indiana Jones movies planned. The 19 year delay since The Last Crusade was due to a disagreement over the direction of the story. That has now been resolved.

Spielberg says he became particularly interested in returning to the series after his son asked when the remaining two would be released. All of which means? we?re still one short.

Spielberg stated at the Cannes press conference that he was indeed open to making another film if the public wanted more. ?That?s why we made this Indiana Jones. We?ll certainly have our ear to the ground to hear what happens. That?ll decide were we go from here.?

Given that Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull will, without doubt, be one of the biggest financial hits of the year, and the critical response has been good? this criteria has been met.

For his part Harrison Ford said last week ?Till they tell me otherwise, I will continue to be Indiana Jones.?

But here?s the kicker. Don?t expect Indiana Jones to be the lead in Indiana Jones 5. George Lucas explained to reporters at a recent premiere ?I have an idea to make Shia [LaBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.?

It doesn?t get much more black and white than that.

Leave your thoughts on Indiana Jones 5 in the comments.

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=453

Old news.Not to mention the article was published in May.

DIrishB

Darth Vile said:
It's quite obvious from the docs on the DVD that it was Ford who was proactivley pushing for another movie. Once Lucas was convicned, he then took up the mantle to persuade Spielberg. Also - ROTLA, TOD, TLC & KOTCS are Spielbergs movies (he has to take credit, or applicable bashing), but it is Lucas' concept. And a great concept it is too. Ultimately, I think Lucas has the right to come up with the premise (if not the script). I certainly don't want 'Saucermen from Mars', but even worse (IMHO) is the thought of fan fiction dross.

I haven't picked up the DVD for Crystal Skull yet since it isn't released until this coming Tuesday (Oct. 14). How'd you see the special features already?

And the comment I made about it taking 20 years for Crystal Skull pertained to the tension about the various scripts for it, which eventually resulted in Crystal Skull. Ford and Speilberg most likely would've signed on long before had Lucas been more willing to compromise.

Granted, the Indy franchise is Lucas' baby, but he used to listen to Spielberg...otherwise Indiana Jones would instead be called Indiana Smith and we never would've gotten the classic scene with Indy shooting the Cairo Swordsman in Raiders. It seems over the years George's opinion of his own ideas has eclipsed his willingness to listen to others'.

emtiem

arkfinder said:

Heh; that's great. Too right.

DIrishB said:
I haven't picked up the DVD for Crystal Skull yet since it isn't released until this coming Tuesday (Oct. 14). How'd you see the special features already?

Ach; loads of people are getting it early. Even over here where it's not supposed to be out until November.

DIrishB said:
Granted, the Indy franchise is Lucas' baby, but he used to listen to Spielberg...otherwise Indiana Jones would instead be called Indiana Smith and we never would've gotten the classic scene with Indy shooting the Cairo Swordsman in Raiders.

That's credited to Ford, isn't it?

TheMutt92

emtiem said:

For the most part. He was sick, didn't wanna fight, and I guess asked Spielberg why he didn't just shoot him. Steven liked it and rolled w/ it. If I remember correctly, Lucas (at least at the time) kinda cringed at that (same thought pattern as Greedo shoots first????)

James

Darth Vile said:

Spielberg may not be going to China any time soon, but I'm not sure he'd rule out globetrotting entirely. KOTCS was unique, in that it was largely set in the US. We can't really fault them for using Hawaii as South America, since that had already been done in ROTLA.

The fact that Spielberg was about to become a grandfather- and didn't want to stray too far from home- was also a big factor this time. I can't say I blame him for not wanting to fly to Peru just to shoot a marketplace scene.

I doubt we'll ever get another travelogue like LC, but I'm sure they'd relocate if the story required it.

arkfinder

I know this is more a random thought than "offical" news. But, I was thinking it'd be cool if they brought back Short Round to be Mutt's Marcus. It would round the films out and bring them some deeper connection.

But, hey what do I know :hat: ?

DIrishB

emtiem said:
Ach; loads of people are getting it early. Even over here where it's not supposed to be out until November.

I see. Eh, it'll be out over here on Tuesday, so I'll be sure to watch those special features and properly educate myself. ;)

Actually, yeah. He was sick (bad bout of the flu if I recall correctly) and improvised just shooting the Swordsman for comedic effect instead of a drawn out fight/action scene that he was just too under the weather to film. I didn't mean to imply Speilberg came up with that (though I'm sure he added his 2 cents), just that it was Lucas' willingness to compromise on things like that which probably resulted in a better movie overall. I think if he'd been as compromising on Crystal Skull, it also would've been a better film.

TheMutt92 said:
For the most part. He was sick, didn't wanna fight, and I guess asked Spielberg why he didn't just shoot him. Steven liked it and rolled w/ it. If I remember correctly, Lucas (at least at the time) kinda cringed at that (same thought pattern as Greedo shoots first????)

Whoops...thats what I get for posting without reading ALL the new posts. But that just goes to show had Lucas gotten his way, a fan-favorite and classic movie scene wouldn't exist.

arkfinder said:
I know this is more a random thought than "offical" news. But, I was thinking it'd be cool if they brought back Short Round to be Mutt's Marcus. It would round the films out and bring them some deeper connection.

But, hey what do I know :hat: ?

I like that idea. Or if not Short Round, Sallah. I'd love to see John Rhys Davies return to the Indy franchise, and Sallah's ties to archeological digs etc will help anchor it and provide reasons for adventures to occur.

emtiem

DIrishB said:
Actually, yeah. He was sick (bad bout of the flu if I recall correctly) and improvised just shooting the Swordsman for comedic effect instead of a drawn out fight/action scene that he was just too under the weather to film. I didn't mean to imply Speilberg came up with that (though I'm sure he added his 2 cents), just that it was Lucas' willingness to compromise on things like that which probably resulted in a better movie overall. I think if he'd been as compromising on Crystal Skull, it also would've been a better film.

Well, he did though. He wanted full sci-fi (as in the Saucermen script) and what we got just had a brief alien at the end. If the alien actually was a god (as in ToD or whatever) then it'd still be the same film.

DIrishB said:
I like that idea. Or if not Short Round, Sallah. I'd love to see John Rhys Davies return to the Indy franchise, and Sallah's ties to archeological digs etc will help anchor it and provide reasons for adventures to occur.

I dunno- all seems stuck in the past a bit; I don't think there's any need for these characters to reappear. Least of all Sallah, as that would probably mean that we'd have another middle-eastern Indy, and we've had plenty of sandy adventures already.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
itsallyours.jpg

Somehow I managed to trick myself into believing that this actually didn't happen. I appreciate the fact that Harrison Ford was kind enough to give that Hat including the signature to Labeouf as a nice gesture. But what does it mean? (A question I seem to ask myself a lot lately when it comes to things "said" by Mr F.)