Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The most quotable Indy movie. Whats your favorite?

Manco

It's cool and it's the 'in thing', these days to be a hater, a critic, and to be all around cynical. The world is a cynical place. It certainly is a far different place to the one I grew up in, back in the 70s and 80s. Everyone has A.D.D. now, not to mention an entitlement complex. Is it any wonder people start threads like these?

Manco said:
It's cool and it's the 'in thing', these days to be a hater, a critic, and to be all around cynical. The world is a cynical place. It certainly is a far different place to the one I grew up in, back in the 70s and 80s. Everyone has A.D.D. now, not to mention an entitlement complex. Is it any wonder people start threads like these?

Go away. This thread isn't for your moralizing.

Besides, being critical is healthy. Being a sheep is dangerous. Bleat elsewhere.

Finn

Staff member
Back in the 80s we didn't have instant communication, so we didn't need instant opinions. Just let the film grow on you, folks. Let's come back in a year and compare our views.

And yes, I thought it could have been better as well.

I really liked the snake bit and the broken nose exchange. However, having only seen it once, I don't remember when someone said, "You don't know him." Would someone enlighten me?

IndyFan89

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rh6aIkvgyVk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rh6aIkvgyVk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Professor said:
I really liked the snake bit and the broken nose exchange. However, having only seen it once, I don't remember when someone said, "You don't know him." Would someone enlighten me?

The warehouse scene. Ray Winstone being driven in a truck into a collision with Indy.

Manco

ResidentAlien said:
Go away. This thread isn't for your moralizing.

Besides, being critical is healthy. Being a sheep is dangerous. Bleat elsewhere.

Only those with no moral compass to begin with have a problem with moralising.

I think the problem with this thread is the title and the fact that you come off rather like a bully.

EDIT: I see the thread title has been changed. Carry on, and don't beat too many people up.

Manco said:
Only those with no moral compass to begin with have a problem with moralising.

I think the problem with this thread is the title and the fact that you come off rather like a bully.

EDIT: I see the thread title has been changed. Carry on, and don't beat too many people up.

The thread title has not changed.

Frankly I haven't the faintest what you're on about.

And what sort of brash statement is that anyway? No moral compass? Because they disagree with you? Because they don't want you enforcing your beliefs as the one true answer?

This topic was made for debate about the dialogue not your self-assured, self-congratulatory tripe. You liked the film.... good, glad. Some of us didn't and we're debating why. You're welcome in on the debate but stay to the goddamn topic--the dialogue. No one needs you to belittle them because you liked the film and they didn't.

No Ticket

Not a very quotable movie, honestly. All I can remember that I liked were

"They all had the same problem, they weren't you Honey."

"You're a teacher?" --> "Part time."

uhh...

"I like Ike."

uhh...

"Jonesy!"

"Shut up!"

"JONESY!"

"SHUT UP!"

"YOU STUPID SONNNOFA*****!!"

"I SAID WE WERE IN BERLIN... WHAT WERE WE IN BERLIN?"

(both) "Double agents!"

Uhhh..

"So what're you, a triple agent?" ---> "No I just lied about being a double."

"You're going back to school!" --> "Whatever happened to 'don't let anybody tell you different?'" --> "That was before I knew you were my son!"

"Why'd you tell me!??" --> "Because I thought we were gonna die!!!" --> "NOT TODAY!!"

OH and "I'm gonna break your nose!" --> "You broke my nose!" --> "Told you."

That was classic.

Legendary Times

Not a very quotable movie???

My personal favorite:
"If you want to be a good archaeologist, you got to get out of the library!"

And my second favorite:
"How much of human life is wasted on waiting?"

"The treasure wasn't gold, it was knowledge. Knowledge was their treasure."

"They all had the same problem: they weren't you Honey."

"Someone came and taught them farming, irrigation."

"Collectors. They were archaeologists."

"So what are you, a triple agent?"

No Ticket

Legendary Times said:
Not a very quotable movie???

My personal favorite:
"If you want to be a good archaeologist, you got to get out of the library!"

And my second favorite:
"How much of human life is wasted on waiting?"

"The treasure wasn't gold, it was knowledge. Knowledge was their treasure."

"They all had the same problem: they weren't you Honey."

"Someone came and taught them farming, irrigation."

"Collectors. They were archaeologists."

"So what are you, a triple agent?"

Ooo... I missed the line about the aliens being collectors... archaeologists. That's a good one!

Michael24

Will take a few more viewings before I remember much about "quotable" lines, but ironically I've already quoted it. After we got home from the theater, my mom was taking her sweet timing getting out of the car, blocking my way in the garage, and I said, "Come on already. What're you, like 80?" and she started laughing and said "Close." LMAO!!!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah, it's good to see that other people have remembered quotes. And, of course, the point about how we'll remember quotes later on is well-taken, but I'm just used to dialogue making a bigger impression than this. Eh, maybe I was just tired.

I know people are somewhat confused by his switching of sides, but I think when we come out on the other side of this, Mac is going to emerge as one of the 3 or 4 best things about this film. Winstone was solid, and he delivered everything he was given extraordinarily well. Koepp really brought it for him, and somehow, Indy's relationship with him was made more poignant and real than the one he had with either Marion or Mutt.

See, I remembered the "they weren't you" line, I just didn't care for it, not so much because I never got on the Indy & Marion bandwagon but because Marion's inclusion this time around just didn't seem justified by the writing or by Allen's smiley performance.

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
Ah, it's good to see that other people have remembered quotes. And, of course, the point about how we'll remember quotes later on is well-taken, but I'm just used to dialogue making a bigger impression than this. Eh, maybe I was just tired.

I know people are somewhat confused by his switching of sides, but I think when we come out on the other side of this, Mac is going to emerge as one of the 3 or 4 best things about this film. Winstone was solid, and he delivered everything he was given extraordinarily well. Koepp really brought it for him, and somehow, Indy's relationship with him was made more poignant and real than the one he had with either Marion or Mutt.

See, I remembered the "they weren't you" line, I just didn't care for it, not so much because I never got on the Indy & Marion bandwagon but because Marion's inclusion this time around just didn't seem justified by the writing or by Allen's smiley performance.

I kind of feel they could have just done this movie better justice if Marion wasn't in it... or Ox. All they needed was Mutt and Mack. Mutt and Indy really didn't develop much a relationship/dynamic beyond Ford occasionally throwing him a "reminds me of myself" look every now and then.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
No Ticket said:
I kind of feel they could have just done this movie better justice if Marion wasn't in it... or Ox. All they needed was Mutt and Mack. Mutt and Indy really didn't develop much a relationship/dynamic beyond Ford occasionally throwing him a "reminds me of myself" look every now and then.

Yeah. It could have been much better if Mutt and Indy developed a relationship along the lines of Indy and Abner (before Abner became his in-law), or Indy and Marcus, where Mutt is something of a tough kid resentful of a formal education that doesn't motivate hiim who somehow comes under Indy's wing. He could even be torn between Mac's motivations and Indy's. What made Henry Sr. such a great figure was that he offered an opportunity with the most particular of father <I>figures</I>, but that didn't necessitate Indy being a literal father himself in Indy IV. I liked Oxley as a character, although with this different conception of a narrative for Mutt it's harder to fit him in, even if he was somehow his first mentor who got lost, or some such. Something to muse on. Also, we lose a love interest this way, but I don't care about that too much - throw in some lower-level tension with Spalko and I'd be sold.

Oh, yeah, the movie's been made already, hasn't it? Right. At any rate, the dialogue fell particularly flat when it dealt with the family dynamic. It tried too hard to be funny, but the content just ended up somewhat cliche (where's Stoppard when you need him, right?)

AHegele

Finn said:
You know why it doesn't have any memorable quotes? Because it doesn't have them yet. Majority of us have seen the movie once. Sure, it seems a disappointment now, but so did ToD 23 years ago.

It'll grow on us, I'm sure of it.

i completely agree. i was a bit shook after the first viewing, but i went to see it today again with an even bigger audience and just had a ball. This will fit nicely in the series, despite it not exactly being my favorite.

i also agree with no ticket, the good guy campaign was to much, i would have sacrificed a character or two to flesh out the others more. but i did like mac (even though they got rid of him cheaply)

Jenos Idanian

jamiestarr said:
Here's the deal: There has been 20+ years for the lines from the 1st three Indy films to marinate and become quotable. Crystal Skull has had 2 days. Get over it and get back to me in 20 years....

I was quoting lines from pulp fiction the day after I saw it. Fact is, this movie has bad writing.