Pirates!

adventure_al

Stoo said:
Adventure Al, which ones have you seen? Do you own or have you seen the 1st Steve Reeves movie, "Sandokan the Great"?:confused: That's the one I want to see the most along with "The Two Tigers" from the early '40s where Sandokan tangles with the Thuggee!:eek:

These are readily available online. Unfortunately when they went to DVD they weren't remastered, which is a terrible considering they appear to be about tenth copies and even with scenes missing.

I'm going to see if I can find the original novels, I suggest you'll have more luck with written media. Sounds like you've had more luck with the films than me! (I'd hazard a guess the original italian versions are in better nick)

What are the Kabir Bedi series like?

adventure_al

Montana Smith said:
The Raven never ceases to be an eye-opener!

sandokan_riscossa.gif

http://www.rohpress.com/sandokan.htm

sandokan1zm9.jpg

Fantastic pictures particularly that second one.

However check this out. It reeks of Jack Sparrow!

250px-Tigri_1900.jpg

Gear

In like Flynn

My grandmother was acquainted with Errol Flynn. Her dad was his--what would you say--manager, lawyer(? Something along those lines) for a period. The family wonders if that may have had something to do with Flynn's money woes. *chuckles*

I'd have to ask the family again.

But, my great grandfather was in with that circuit. He and his daughter, my grandmother, attended yacht and dinner parties with the names of the time.

She said Errol was a kind man.

Captain Blood was also on TMC, I believe, not that long ago. Coincidence? I think not. The ancient aliens, pirates, and Wal-Creatures are in on this... Trust me. I know.

Matt deMille

adventure_al said:
Ladybird and Pugwash are aimed at children. As such I wouldn't bother looking them up. Regarding your second point you'd be much better looking up Sandokhan. Several books were written based on these tales. As well as a few movies (although these are now very dated).

On the topic of pirates and old movies I've just ordered 'Captain Blood' on DVD (y)

Thanks. But I know Sandokhan. I've a pretty extensive collection of pirate books, movies, etc. But thank you all the same. I'm still just amazed that any one (Ladybird) escaped me. Well, something new every day, I guess.

Ahhh, Captain Blood. Classic of classics. There will never be another Flynn. Enjoy!

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
I've never claimed to be anything but a dick.
Ah, I see. Thank you for the admission. Now, I'll just have to determine if there is anything stopping me from removing you from the premises, sir. May I please see your badge of immunity, if you have one?

Montana Smith

Matt deMille said:
I've a pretty extensive collection of pirate books, movies, etc. But thank you all the same. I'm still just amazed that any one (Ladybird) escaped me. Well, something new every day, I guess.

This is from Amazon UK, with the details about the book, and reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladybird-book-about-Pirates/dp/0721402682

This wasn't my review, but they use the word "evocative", and also reference the Blackbeard image. (Spooky!)

5.0 out of 5 stars

Time to hoist the Jolly Roger! Again!, 16 Mar 2004

By A Customer

This review is from: A Ladybird book about Pirates (Hardcover)

This is a fantastic book, and it is one which has lived on in the imagination of this reader for nearly 30 years. Just the sort of book to excite any child. The perfect gift to fire the imagination and encourage the creativity of children.

The book relates a concise and lucid one page biography on some 22 famous pirates, each of which is given an illustration on the adjacent page.

The suberb watercolour plates by F. Humphris are breathtaking (slightly reminiscent of N.C. Wyeth's magnificent illustrations for the American 1911 edition of Treasure Island) from the powerful evocative cover to the iconic terrifing image of Blackbeard storming some hapless ship. I never forgot the dynamism of Captain La Bouche's "Indian Queen" delivering a broadside, or the image of walking the plank, burying the treasure, or running up the Jolly Roger . Who could forget the fury of Captain Kidd stiking down a mutineer, the argry impotent Pope having lost more of his treasure to Barbarossa. Just wonderful.

Now young ladies are not left out! There is a super image of raven haired buxom Mary Reid fighting a duel by sword, and an even better image of Mary Reid with fellow pirate the equally buxom blonde Anne Bonny fighting on alone with cutlass and flintlock whilst their cowardly male compatriots had fled! There is also a sumptuous image of evil firey redhead Maria Cobham dispatching an unfortunate Captain and his officers.

A great book for Children, of all ages!

Highly recommended.

I have no connection with the author or publisher.

Last edited:

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
Thanks. But I know Sandokhan. I've a pretty extensive collection of pirate books, movies, etc. But thank you all the same. I'm still just amazed that any one (Ladybird) escaped me. Well, something new every day, I guess.
Which Sandokan books & movies do you have?
Montana Smith said:
The coolest cartoon pirates, though, were these chaps from Asterix:

asterix_pirates.gif
Not as cool as Jean LaFoote, The Barefoot Pirate and arch-nemesis of Cap'n Crunch...always trying to steal his delicious cereal. "Sacré bleu! Quel délicieux!":D

4827821958_b8713f33a1_m.jpg

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
Which Sandokan books & movies do you have?

Stoo

adventure_al said:
What are the Kabir Bedi series like?
Of the TV series, I only have the 1976 one but after seeing 3 episodes, it's very good so far. Great locations & costumes and when the action comes it's well done for a TV show. The story moves along with a quick enough pace and has believable performances from the actors/actresses. Apparently, Kabir Bedi has since become Sandokan's most popular on-screen representation. (The theme song is catchy, too. Even my girlfriend has been singing the chorus!)
adventure_al said:
Unfortunately when they went to DVD they weren't remastered, which is a terrible considering they appear to be about tenth copies and even with scenes missing.
Don't know about missing scenes but my DVD of the 2nd Steve Reeves movie is in full, CRISP, widescreen splendour!(y)
Matt deMille said:
Thanks. But I know Sandokhan.
deMille, why are you spelling Sandokan with an "h"?

Matt deMille

Stoo said:
deMille, why are you spelling Sandokan with an "h"?

Probably for the same reason I spell "colour" and "armour" as I do. Or perhaps why you have so many times in the past spelled my name as "Duh Mille".

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
Probably for the same reason I spell "colour" and "armour" as I do. Or perhaps why you have so many times in the past spelled my name as "Duh Mille".
Well, those are the correct spellings of "colour" and "armour" so this doesn't make any sense and the mockery of "d'uh" bears no relation.
Matt deMille said:
Thanks. But I know Sandokhan. I've a pretty extensive collection of pirate books, movies, etc. But thank you all the same.
For the 3rd time, which Sandokan books & movies do you have? (You keep avoiding the question and, the last time, abandoned the conversation leaving the thread cold for 2 weeks.)

Paden

HovitosKing said:
I know Pirates are inferior to Ninjas. Otherwise, I have no thoughts on the matter.
I'm right there with you. Pirates are cool, but ninjas are awesome! ;)