Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Salzmank

As I expressed in another thread in this section, I just can?t get into video games, but I love hearing about the plots and characters. Anyone have a few more comments about those aspects of this one? I?m a bit of a fool with video games in general and, when I tried to play this, couldn?t get past that second scene with the airplane in the canyon!

So I don?t really know what happened after, but I?m interested in the story.

Udvarnoky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Staff_of_Kings#Plot

By the way, have you ever played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? It's a graphic adventure game, so you progress by solving puzzles rather than through action scenes. The plot is arguably as good as any of the movies. You can get it through GOG or Steam. It's well worth playing whether you like video games or not - just find a walkthrough so you can clear the puzzles, but enjoy the storyline.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you had just posted in a Fate of Atlantis thread! But like I say, just grab a walkthrough so you can play through the game without worrying about being good at it. You won't regret it.

Salzmank

Udvarnoky said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Staff_of_Kings#Plot

By the way, have you ever played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? It's a graphic adventure game, so you progress by solving puzzles rather than through action scenes. The plot is arguably as good as any of the movies. You can get it through GOG or Steam. It's well worth playing whether you like video games or not - just find a walkthrough so you can clear the puzzles, but enjoy the storyline.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize you had just posted in a Fate of Atlantis thread! But like I say, just grab a walkthrough so you can play through the game without worrying about being good at it. You won't regret it.
Thanks, Udvarnoky. I knew about the Wikipedia synopsis; I suppose that I was really asking for people?s opinions, critiques, general thoughts, etc., about it.

I can take a look at the walkthrough; I apologize up-front, as I?m sure it?s my loss, but I just can?t take video games for all that long. But ?as good as any of the movies?? Gotta take a look, thanks.

EvilDevo

Having played through the game on PSP and Wii...
...I'm still not entirely sure what the story is about.

An irish woman is mad at Indy, because there is an elephant running wild in the streets. Then a man who is also a nazi builds a magic airship and sails into the sky, flies so high. I guess some other stuff happens. Then the next-gen last-gen version gets cancelled and everyone gets mad. A mirror is pieced together and a dragon appears. The end?

TheFirebird1

EvilDevo said:
Having played through the game on PSP and Wii...
...I'm still not entirely sure what the story is about.

An irish woman is mad at Indy, because there is an elephant running wild in the streets. Then a man who is also a nazi builds a magic airship and sails into the sky, flies so high. I guess some other stuff happens. Then the next-gen last-gen version gets cancelled and everyone gets mad. A mirror is pieced together and a dragon appears. The end?

The above statement summarizes the game entirely. The problem with almost all the versions of SoK is that there's not much of a plot, but just a series of wonky, dispassionate vignettes that form a very loosely-connected narrative.

IndyBuff

TheFirebird1 said:
The above statement summarizes the game entirely. The problem with almost all the versions of SoK is that there's not much of a plot, but just a series of wonky, dispassionate vignettes that form a very loosely-connected narrative.

That was one of my many disappointments with the game. The narrative is hollow and it's evident that much was cut out of the game or altered radically. It's another reason why so many of us were dismayed to hear that the novelization was canceled. I suspect that would have shed light on many of the missing details.

dprog

In addition to the confusing narrative Staff Of Kings wasn't even that good in it's gameplay.

-The shooting parts are like Time Crisis games but with worse controls.

-The hand 2 hand combat was also bad.(Both PSP version and PS2 version)

-The PSP version was too repetitive.(Forces you to do brawl all the time and keep spawning enemies in the same area)

-The PS2 version had too long loading times.

It was a complete disappointing game unfortunately.(But don't know about it's DS version)