1960s?

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
(Threads merged, largely because I think this is a great topic, and there's been good stuff said on it previously.)
So, Raiders112390 started *3* seperate threads about Indy in the '60s.:eek: :rolleyes:
Raiders112390 said:
Actually, the early '60s are more akin to the '30s than the '50s. The '50s were gray, dry, boring--The Ike years. The '30s and early '60s had FDR and JFK--glamorous eras. Women in pillbox hats and gloves, Doo Wop instead of Rock, Kennedy instead of old, gray Eisenhower.
Firstly, from this and your other posts, your perception of the 1950s & '60s is very U.S.-centric and you seem to be stuck on this tunnel-vision view. For instance, travel back in time to the Congo in the early '60s and I doubt you'd find it very glamorous with Doo Wop in the air and women wearing pillbox hats and gloves.

Secondly, "The '50s were gray, dry, boring"?:confused: Were you alive at that time? I wasn't either but it was far from a boring decade for America. WW2 was over and people went back to living normal lives in a time of great prosperity. The space race began, passenger jet flights became available, expressways were being built, 'car culture' was born, the civil rights movement was underway, television entered homes, Cinemascope, 3-D movies, the fashion explosion, portable transistor radios, rock'n'roll, pop-art, plastics, etc.
Indy's brother said:
How about a TOD style adventure without any stops in the U.S., or any real references to western culture.
Rocket Surgeon said:
Raiders and the original trilogy were not constrained by much in the way of period pieces. There are still many locales that exist which still function in ways that haven't changed in a thousand years.
Agreed with both of you. Apart from "Skull", the U.S. locations are only a tiny fraction of "Raiders" and "Crusade". If there ever will be a 5th film set in the early '60s, we don't need to see Indy stuck in the States like some agent in the FBI. He's a globe-trotting adventurer!

Montana Smith said:
EDIT: On second thoughts, to hell with Indy's legacy.

If Raiders can survive Doom the Cartoon, Crusade the Jones Brigade and Skull's dull lull, let's press on. After all four sequels makes perfect eh?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
If Raiders can survive Doom the Cartoon, Crusade the Jones Brigade and Skull's dull lull, let's press on. After all four sequels makes perfect eh?

So you want Indy VI as well? (TOD was a prequel. ;) )

Imagine just how wacky number six couild be! :p

Montana Smith said:
So you want Indy VI as well?
I'll take as many as they need to get it right...!

Montana Smith said:
Imagine just how wacky number six couild be! :p
They were carefull to warn us about Skull, Lucas, Spielberg and Marshall. So they knew. Now if only they would give us what WE really want.

RedeemedChild

Sometimes I wish that we could get a Indiana Jones movie to show us a young Mola Ram sort of like how we see a young, youthful and teenage Indiana Jones in the opening scenes of The Last Cruscade.

RedeemedChild said:
Sometimes I wish that we could get a Indiana Jones movie to show us a young Mola Ram sort of like how we see a young, youthful and teenage Indiana Jones in the opening scenes of The Last Cruscade.
Wasn't that Slumdog Millionaire?

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
The 60s can be easily divided into two eras--The Kennedy/early LBJ years, which were culturally just an extension of the 1950s, and the Beatle era, beginning in 1964. The "Hippie '60s" didn't truly begin until sometime between 1965-1966. Even in 1964, the Beatles were still considered a silly fad (Look at James Bond's comment about listening to the Beatles without earmuffs in 1964's Goldfinger. Even Bond wasn't out of date yet). Look at shows like Mad Men, set in the early-mid 60s; Men still wear hats, dress dressy, etc. I think the early-mid 1960s is still an "Indy friendly" era.
Indiana Jones' world is much larger than the U.S. and your ideas about the '50s & '60s are too American-centric.:( (Hey, Raiders112390, did you know that "the Beatle era" actually began before the band came to North America in 1964?)

Quoting all of the errors & conflicting things you've said about the '50s & '60s throughout the various Raven threads would take forever to put together. For now, I'll confine it to this:
Raiders112390 said:
I too think we'll get a return to timeless wilderness in an Indy 5 if it's set in the '60s. The early '60s (1960-1963) are a very quiet, transitional period really, culturally speaking. They're sort of like the Truman era--A forgotten period boxed in by two romanticized eras (the Depression 1930s/FDR 40s and Ike/Greaser '50s). They wouldn't be of interest to George. He's never shown any interest in the pop culture of that era. He's a 50s guy.
Right. (According to Raiders112390), George Lucas has NEVER shown any interest in the early '60s even though..."American Graffiti" is set in 1962 and "More American Graffiti" begins in 1964!:whip:

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Indiana Jones' world is much larger than the U.S. and your ideas about the '50s & '60s are too American-centric.:( (Hey, Raiders112390, did you know that "the Beatle era" actually began before the band came to North America in 1964?)

Quoting all of the errors & conflicting things you've said about the '50s & '60s throughout the various Raven threads would take forever to put together. For now, I'll confine it to this:
Right. (According to Raiders112390), George Lucas has NEVER shown any interest in the early '60s even though..."American Graffiti" is set in 1962 and "More American Graffiti" begins in 1964!:whip:

Well, I'm an American, so my perception of the 50s and 60s (and other eras) are of course centered on my own country. Indy is an American character. His world might be a very large one, but he is a Yank nonetheless.

Yes, I know The Beatles had a career before 1964. But again, I am talking from an American centered viewpoint.

I don't see why you're being so technical about things. I just don't feel that the "50s" would be as big of a force in an Indy film set in the early '60s. We already went down that road in KOTCS.

And my "errors" and "conflicting things" about the '50s and '60s? I've pretty much championed the idea of an Indy adventure set in the early 1960s since before KOTCS was out. What "errors" about the periods?

I just see the Rock '50s (1953/1954-1959 or so) as different from the Kennedy years, from an American point of view.

Mephisto

Raiders112390 said:
I honestly think they waited a bit too long. Anywhere from '93-98 would've been perfect; he was still in great shape, was at a high point in his career and didn't look as aged as he does now. He's got a bit of a belly now, and he looks ten years older than he really is, thanks to a Calista Flockart.

You hit the nail on the head with your dates. I thought around 93 would have been perfect. To me he started looking pretty old around 1998 whb Six Days Seven Nights was released.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Well, I'm an American, so my perception of the 50s and 60s (and other eras) are of course centered on my own country. Indy is an American character. His world might be a very large one, but he is a Yank nonetheless.
Open your mind, man. Broaden your horizons. Indy is a Yank who travels around the world. You complain about American, '50s culture being overused in Indy 4 but express great interest in seeing Indy within the "glamorous", Kennedy years and continually mention the "Doo Wop era". Do you really want Indy to stay at home in a (hypothetical) new movie?:confused:
Raiders112390 said:
I don't see why you're being so technical about things.
To help you with being more concise in your vague interpretation of modern history.;)
Raiders112390 said:
I just don't feel that the "50s" would be as big of a force in an Indy film set in the early '60s. We already went down that road in KOTCS.

And my "errors" and "conflicting things" about the '50s and '60s?
---
What "errors" about the periods?

I just see the Rock '50s (1953/1954-1959 or so) as different from the Kennedy years, from an American point of view.

Well, this is the newest example of your conflicting statements right there (with plenty more laying around). You have REPEATEDLY said that there is very little difference between the America of the 1950s and the early '60s...Now you're saying that there *IS* a difference so it's difficult to determine what your definite disposition is, when discussing these decades.

Regarding errors: My above post from 5 months ago (#81) addresses your crazy claims that the 1950s were "gray, dry, boring".:gun:

(Not to mention, you started 3 seperate threads about Indy in the '60s!:rolleyes: Thankfully, all 3 of them have been merged together.)

===
Anyway, I'd still like to know WHY you said Lucas has never shown any interest in the early 1960s, even though he made 2 movies about that era!:whip:

Crack that whip

Montana Smith said:
So you want Indy VI as well? (TOD was a prequel. ;)

Indeed, every Indy live-action screen production made after Raiders of the Lost Ark could be considered a prequel, at least in part:
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is set a year before Raiders.
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is mostly set after both Temple and Raiders, but has that prologue set more than two decades before anything else in any of the three movies.
  • The overwhelming majority of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones (everything but most of the "bookends" segments) is set before everything in those three movies, save for the Last Crusade prologue (and the Corey Carrier segments are set before even that).
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is set before the original "Old Indy" bookends from the Chronicles.

Indiana Jones - the all-prequel franchise! :p

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Trapped on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall...

9306ce09bbe3d0d2d8b4c057620fa2bf.gif

Raiders90

If there was a new Indy set in the 60s it should be set no later than 1964; ideally not after 1962. No Vietnam era.

Wilhelm

Indy 5 could begin with a prologue set in 1937 starring a young Harrison Ford with a digital face lift like Jeff Bridges (Tron) or Schwarzenegger in the last Terminator movie.

An action scene in the best tradition of Raiders to start the movie that also foreshadows the main mcguffin. Then we could jump to the 60s with Indy retired living alone with Marion when he must recover a great artifact from Ancient History, the greatest challenge of his career.

Larry Kasdan could write the script.