Pegwarmers

Which Indy figure is the biggest pegwarmer?

• Mutt Williams in jacket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mutt Williams with python

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Indiana Jones w/bazooka (and no hat)

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Cairo Swordsman

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Belloq

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Monkey Man

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • German Soldier

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Indiana Jones w/Idol (basic figure)

• Indiana Jones w/Temple Trap

• Indiana Jones w/Temple Pitfall

• Indiana Jones w/Ark of the Covenant

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

DetectiveFork

Which Indy figures seem to be sitting unsold on the shelves in toy stores near you?

In my case, the biggest pegwarmer is Mutt, especially the one with the snake, but both are lingering on shelves long after all the figures of Indy himself are sold out. That's a little worrisome, seeing how George Lucas wants to make Mutt the star of the series. No one seems to want the Mutt figures, outside of the die-hard fans who collect the toys.

The other pegwarmers here in N.J. are Cairo Swordsman and KotCS Indy w/bazooka. I think the reason the latter doesn't sell is because Hasbro neglected to include a removable hat. That was a cheap move, as the figure, when wearing a hat, is a perfect representation of Indy from the opening sequence of the film, aside from the bazooka. I bought an extra Indy with removable hat so my jacketless Indy could wear a hat, and it looks perfect. I have him holding him coiled whip like on the movie poster. Hasbro said there was no hat because it was scene specific, but I don't recall Indy looking like that, missing his hat, and holding a bazooka anywhere in the film.

On a related note, do you think kids are really after these figures? I think it's mostly adults buying them for themselves.

Last edited:

indyclone25

i have seen german soldiers all over the place so i am waiting to buy one of thise til i have more of the others ---but with my luck by time i decide to get it it will be gone :whip:

Errex

Mutt with python, it seems. There's always more of him in the pegs than any of the others I've seen.

Swindle

Indy w/rocket luancher... Mutt w/snake... yeah, you ditch their jackets, people don't want them.

All sorts of goons/troops warm the pegs also in my area.

"Bellosh"

Next to the German Soldier, or maybe a bit more as I think more about it, the two Mutts (maybe more the leather jacket) are the most common in STL but I think that's because (just a guess) they made more of him.

bonoferox

Everything is still selling suprisingly well around here. Cairo Swordsman and the Marion 2pack are the only ones you'll find on the shelves that are otherwise pretty much stripped clean.

Wugmanmax

We actually have a good supply of most figures here in MN, no one figure is consistently peg warming. As for your kids question, I've seen more kids looking at them than adults.

There's a ton of Mutt's and that's about it. I really don't think that they are getting new figures in at all. The Targets and KMarts have the exact same figures they've had for a few weeks. The TRU seems to be the only place getting new items in.

I can also say that there are no food items left in the stores. I saw a few cases of Dr Pepper, but when I looked for the cans they were just the regular cans, no pictures on them. I still need 3 to finish my set. There's no cereal and the Indy Pop Tarts I finally found in one store, and they were on clearance. I honestly think they dropped the ball as there's not much around me, and I'm in DC.

Errex

I am seeing also quite a bit of Deluxe packs, mostly Marion and Ark Indy.

Thing is, locally, WalMart thought it was a good idea to overprice these (each Deluxe is going for about $18.00 USD) while the movie is still "hot" in theaters, and thus, very few people is going for more than a coouple basic figures at a time. Factor in that the paintjobs of these firts waves are a little "collector hostile", and you can see why there is little movement on the pegs.

They did the same with the Narnia figures, and now they have clearanced them at 50% over the marked price, which is a big fraud, since now they are priced at what they should have been marked at in the first place.:mad:

So, yes, I won't be getting more IJ figures until the prices go down...

indyt

Everything is selling well in NC. When I check the figures out, usually there are maybe 5 or 6 on the shelf.

Lambonius

Errex said:
I am seeing also quite a bit of Deluxe packs, mostly Marion and Ark Indy.

Thing is, locally, WalMart thought it was a good idea to overprice these (each Deluxe is going for about $18.00 USD) while the movie is still "hot" in theaters, and thus, very few people is going for more than a coouple basic figures at a time. Factor in that the paintjobs of these firts waves are a little "collector hostile", and you can see why there is little movement on the pegs.

They did the same with the Narnia figures, and now they have clearanced them at 50% over the marked price, which is a big fraud, since now they are priced at what they should have been marked at in the first place.:mad:

So, yes, I won't be getting more IJ figures until the prices go down...

Wow, that's strange. 18 bucks?? That's ridiculous. In my area Walmart has consistently been the most affordable for the figures, always being at least a few cents (if not a dollar or two) cheaper than any other place. The biggest offender here for price hikes is Target, which marked all the figures up about 2 bucks and then put them on "sale" for the normal price that they were being sold for at Walmart.

vf wing

"Pegwarmers" is a term used by action figure collectors to describe a slow-selling figure, i.e. it warms the pegs on which it's displayed by hanging around so long.

Mutt w/snake is the definite pegwarmer of the current assortment. I think it has a whole lot to do with him having no jacket. He never took it off in the movie. They probably would have done well to have had him remove the jacket at some point, if not appear in another outfit altogether, to give Hasbro more looks to exploit.

I had held off on buying Mutt, 'til i had a chance last Thursday to pop over to Winston-Salem and choose from a lot of different ones on hand for the best possible paint apps. Bad paint applications have hurt the whole line, but most especially the figures of recognizable actors. I should point out that I bought the jacketed Mutt and am still passing on the non-jacketed version.

But i'm surprised to hear of any pegwarming German soldiers. I'm army-building these guys, and i know i'm not the only one. It's possible that the German two-pack might stall sales of the higher-priced single, but i want the right balance of greenshirts to brown, and their definitely seemed to be fewer of the former in Raiders. Plus there's no sticker or relic with the two-pack, and i want as many Crystal Skeletons as i can get my hands on!

Errex

But still with no relic, the german soldier two pack is way more attractive than buying singles.

The thing with Mutt/Boa is that even though he comes with one more accessory than jacketed Mutt (Boa, switchblade vs rapier*), I kind of feel cheated when I see a no-jacket figure, with a tiny blade and a dime-store plastic snake.

Although, to be honest, the Boa Mutts I've seen have generally better paintjobs than the jacket Mutts.

*And I'm not counting jacketed Mutt's "vest" as an accessory because it's an integral part of the look for the figure.