Optimism thread

Gustav

It's not such a long way to Delhi anymore. In less than a week most of us will have seen Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I don't know about you, but I feel like I've barely had time to let the fact that's it's even being made sink in.

By now the movie is completed and all we can do is anticipate so I've created this thread just for positive thinking. Keep in mind that positive thinking doesn't include building your hopes so high that it's impossible for the movie to be as good as you want it to be, so let's just keep things realistic.

What am I optimistic about? I'm optimistic because Steven Spielberg is one of the best directors in history and his decisions to keep filming with actual film and to want to keep the cinematography consistent with the other three films while keeping CG at a minimum shows that he hasn't lost his mind like some people might have but who will go unnamed since this is the Optimism thread.

I am also optimistic because judging from everything I have heard Harrison Ford say about this movie, he knows what is good for it and he seems genuinely optimistic about it. Harrison Ford cares a lot about the character and I don't think he would allow anything stupid to happen plot-wise or character-wise. Or otherwise he would at least show some disappointment and in all the videos, it looks just the opposite.

oki9Sedo

I'm very optimistic too. And, to be honest, the fact that a fourth Indiana Jones film exists hasn't quite sank in yet either.

eroc

I'm so optimistic, I think this might be the best Indy film made. There is a lot of Lucas hating going on around these parts and the film hasn't even been released yet. You know what they say about those who assume?:rolleyes:

Agent Z

I'm optimistic, but I am about every film I think. Even films that I know are bad, I will go in and give a fair chance, cause they may work on a level of guilty pleasure for me. I have seen so many "event" films over the years and have pretty much learned to be hyped, but not to the point where I am starting to look for things outside of what a film can deliver. I don't think that's fair to bring that baggage into it.

At the end of the day, I just want a solid story and characters I can care about going through it. My optimism for Indy 4 comes from the fact that all of the principles involved, behind and in front of the camera, have a track record of delivering quality stories to us. Usually, that history bodes well, although there are some stunning exceptions (Spider-Man 3 wth?!?)....

Snakes

I'm very optimistic about Crystal Skull. I can't really think of anything that would make me dislike it.

(I happened to like Spidey 3, although I agree it was not without some big flaws.)

The Tingler

While there is reason to be cautious looking at the recent films for Spielberg, Lucas and Koepp, none of their films have been less than watchably entertaining, and even their worst films + Indiana Jones would make a fun movie.

I can't wait. I'm going to the Midnight Showing!! :sleep:

The Man

oki9Sedo said:
I'm very optimistic too. And, to be honest, the fact that a fourth Indiana Jones film exists hasn't quite sank in yet either.

That's the funny thing. It's been a classic trilogy for 20 years - and Crystal Skull has all the indications of being a worthy fourth. That Paramount fade-in is less than a week away!(y)

oki9Sedo

The Man said:
That's the funny thing. It's been a classic trilogy for 20 years - and Crystal Skull has all the indications of being a worthy fourth. That Paramount fade-in is less than a week away!(y)

I still can't quite believe that. I think it will only sink in when I'm on my way to the cinema, or possible just when the film begins!

G-Man

I started as a somewhat pessimistic cynic, but I've been won over as we've got closer and closer... I'm so looking forward to this movie now... I can't believe it's nearly here... :D

As soon as the audience see Harrison Ford Starring In there's going to be major soilage. Of course, I could just be speaking for myself. The dream becomes reality.(y)

Kernunnos

Five days. I can't really believe it either.

After so many years of anticipation, Lucas throwing out scripts and wondering if it would ever happen at all...

It's finally almost here.

Please, God, if you've got me lined up for a fatal cardiac arrest, or a head on crash with a juggernaut, can you arrange it to happen AFTER Thursday? Cheers, big guy.

loganbush

Being a pessimist it's strange but I am really optimistic for this film. I think it will be the best rounded film of the series.

triklops

Kernunnos said:
Five days. I can't really believe it either.

After so many years of anticipation, Lucas throwing out scripts and wondering if it would ever happen at all...

It's finally almost here.

Please, God, if you've got me lined up for a fatal cardiac arrest, or a head on crash with a juggernaut, can you arrange it to happen AFTER Thursday? Cheers, big guy.

As strange as it may sound and as big a sin it propably might be.....I sometimes catch myself having exactly that thought !!!!!!!!

Actually my next step towards Indy 4 will be Monday. One of the boardmembers in the German Forum will attend a press screening on Monday. He does not like the Star Wars prequels at all and he is pretty much old school... An Indy nerd of the very first moment...I think his review will be the first reliable one I am going to read

Adamwankenobi

herr gruber said:
As soon as the audience see Harrison Ford Starring In there's going to be major soilage. Of course, I could just be speaking for myself. The dream becomes reality.(y)

For me, it'll be that orgasmic moment when all the ads and trailers have finished, and the lights dim, and you know the film is getting ready to start. (y)

I've experienced that moment three times: with Star Wars Episode II, Terminator 3 (which was a very disappointing film for me), and Star Wars Episode III.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know what you mean by it not sinking in completely. I'm overall optimistic for the film, but I'm not expecting the 'Second Coming". I'm just glad it's Indiana Jones and it's a movie I can watch and escape my reality like good adventure movies do. And I won the tickets...and there's Marion.... so I can't complain really. ;)

Kingsley

Violet Indy said:
And I won the tickets...and there's Marion.... so I can't complain really. ;)
You will get Marion after all this time (y) ... you deserved that prize, really.

The buzz is growing so big that I'm even forgetting those little details we talked about for months... the ants, the rocket sled, spalkos haircut, LOL... even the Aliens!

And that's a good thing, because I will go to the theatre with (almost) a fresh mind ;)

No Ticket

It's sank in, I mean, I can't go anywhere now without being reminded of it... but it's kind of surreal. I never thought I'd actually see Indy 4, ahem!, KOTCS. But yet here it is, DAYS away from being released. So awesome.

My opinion of what to expect has gone up and down over the past year. Most notably it was uber high upon seeing the first trailer for the first time. Then it went down when I heard of doom town. But back up when I saw trailer #2. I've become used to seeing all the trailers and tv spots now (and I haven't watched any of them that much really)... that I'm no longer in shock by what I'm seeing.

So my expectations have kind of leveled off. I am not expecting the best Indiana Jones yet, but I'm not expecting a bad one either... I mean all so far have been pretty damn good.

All that's left to do is see it. All the milestones have come and gone. Teasers, trailers, posters, action figures, burgers... here we are. We're just one step away.

............. :confused:

uh-oh

"That's usually when the ground falls out from underneath your feet."

haha.