Tutorial to reshape your Fedora!!!

Crusade>Raiders

My mom just got me a Indiana Jones fedora for my birthday recently, but I would love for you to make another tutorial cuz the shape aint right >_>

I'll do it with pleasure so you'll have the chance to celebrate Halloween with a really Raiders Fedora...
I'm preparing the pics (it won't take too long:) )
Maybe tomorrow I'll post the new tut:D !

Bye

Timmythekid

AH! Please do, if you can! That's the last piece I'm planning on tackling for my costume this year (got a crap DP wool, and have been afraid of trying to mess with it too much), and I'm sure there's more than a few of us who'd love to see what you came up with!

Hi there:hat:

As I promised, here?s the new tutorial!!!

I?ve been quite busy in these days (you know, University takes a lot of time!) so I?ve just made this short guide right now?I hope it will be useful!

Here?s the tutorial to turn your hat to a ?very looking like" Raiders Fedora:

Beware: Use this tutorial at your risk!!!

NOTE: to complete this tutorial you?ll have to modify your hat following the previous tutorial instructions!

Part 1: Hightening the crown

If you correctly made the old tutorial, your hat should look like mine(pic 1)?Now, put your hand in the inner side of the hat and push all out (pic 2).

Part 2: Reshaping again!

When your hat will be like this(in pic 3), wet it with water around the crown (pic 4), then use three pegs as shown (in pic 5). You'll have to fix the pegs in the higher part of the crown.

Of course, I suggest you to use something soft between the hat and the peg to avoid any scratches.

Part 3: Waiting to become a true Adventurer!

You?ll have to wait for some hours before your hat will be dried?.and then you?ll have to repeat all those operations again to fix it in a ?definitive? way!...Then you?ll get your personal Raiders Fedora made...by you :D !

PS: If the pegs will make some imperfections, I WARMLY suggest you to use BVance method to correct any scratch!

Bye!:whip:

Deckard

Just a tip, you should not run your hat under the sink, use a water bottle and spray from a distance. Do not drench your hat, moisten it.

Seriously think of it like clay, don't overwet it. Only use enough water to get it to work with you and I swear it will hold just as well. Just be patient.

sgttom

I know this thread is old but I didn't want to post a whole new thread for my question. So here goes, I won a bid for an Indiana Jones licensed fedora off eBay for $20. The tags say its made by Dorfman Pacific. It also says its Crushable and Water proof. I really don't like the shape and want to reshape it. Does anyone know if it'll work without ruining the hat? I know I didn't spend much money on it but I don't want to ruin it. Thanks!

~sgttom

DocWhiskey

I used this tutorial on my Dorfman Pacific wool crushable and it worked out great. You should be fine.

Hi there sgttom!
The only thing I suggest you is to be very patient. I explained all below, but if you need some more tips I'll try to help you.

PS: Very Important -> follow Deckard's suggestion and use a spray, it's much easier! :)

sgttom

Thanks for the answers guys. I reshaped the hat today. I sprayed it like you said. I was surprised, It was pretty easy, a lot easier then other hats I've tried reshaping. Thanks for the tips guys, and thanks Doctor Jones'89 for making the tutorial. My hat looks 50 times better now and has my personal feel to it (y)

You're welcome! Very glad to know that this tutorial helped you :)
This thread, even if it's old, is still going and that's very gratifying to me.

Nice thread! I've been working onmy hat for some time now and have yet to work out my two biggest problems.

1: The crease in the topof the hat, from front to back.

If you look at ALL the hats made for the public the very top side of the crown has a tear shaped indent, Indy's hats have a single LINED creased through the middle from the front to the back.

Thanks for your posts, I'm no longer scared of getting the hat wet, but one hint: you can control the distribution and saturation of the water with a spray bottle. Wash out an old windex bottle or buy one cheap at the store.

2: The "Stovepipe Shape"

My hats crown tapers inward as it reaches the top, I tried adjusting the band, pinching it on either side, (on the inside) just over the ears and it looks amazing! (Holding the hat in front of you and pushing the points over where your ears are will demonstrate how it should be...like a stove pipe, not tapered!) Unfortunately my head isn't that narrow so I'm working on widening the top....

It's difficult working two aspects of the crown at once, but I'll post pics if I haven't destroyed my hat...

Hi there:hat:

If you look at ALL the hats made for the public the very top side of the crown has a tear shaped indent, Indy's hats have a single LINED creased through the middle from the front to the back.

It's absolutely true, all the Indy hats have a crease from the front to the back of the hat's crown, but in this tutorial it wasn't supposed to explain how to do that. If you want to do recreate this effect on your hat you'll have to reshape it ENTERELY.
I mean, you have to "pull out" all the inner side to make it look like this:

Image courtesy of Hatsdirect.com

Than you'll have to begin again the reshaping and press the two opposite side of the crown to create the indent.
This tutorial is very clear and well done so I'd suggest to anyone is interested to take a look here: http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/shaping.html.

Remember the key the success consist in patience and persistence! But don't destroy your hat :D

And please post some pics when you'll have done!

Nurhachi1991

DocWhiskey said:
I used this tutorial on my Dorfman Pacific wool crushable and it worked out great. You should be fine.

Did you do this tutorial on it Doc? How does the crushable hold it's shape?

DocWhiskey

Nurhachi1991 said:
Did you do this tutorial on it Doc? How does the crushable hold it's shape?

Yeah, I did the tutorial from the 1st page. It looks as good as it did the 1st day I did it.

Nurhachi1991

DocWhiskey said:
Yeah, I did the tutorial from the 1st page. It looks as good as it did the 1st day I did it.

Awesome I will do that than. It worked on my felt fedora but I wasnt sure about the wool one.

How do you turn down the eyeshade though?

DocWhiskey

Nurhachi1991 said:
How do you turn down the eyeshade though?

I did mine the ghetto way. I wet the brim a little bit and I closed a drawer on it with the fedora resting on top of the counter so the brim was bent on a 90 degree angle. It worked for the most part.

Nurhachi1991

DocWhiskey said:
I did mine the ghetto way. I wet the brim a little bit and I closed a drawer on it with the fedora resting on top of the counter so the brim was bent on a 90 degree angle. It worked for the most part.

Awesome Doc I'm doing the same thing!

My hat turned out great except it left the indentations of the clothspin (n)