Django Unchained

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Great As for Django, am I alone in not knowing which to dread more: Dicaprio in Django or as Gatsby? (But if I'd have to guess, I'd say he'll be better in Django -- he looks like he's having more fun).

OK, I think Dicaprio will be great in both. He can go over the top in Django, but I think he has a good shot of pulling off Gatsby. I always thoght Newman was too old for the role when he played it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Great scenes. But if a guy names a film "Inglorious Basterds", it still would be nice if the movie was actually about the Basterds -- instead of really being a story about 1.5 chicks (Kruger and Laurent).

Amen. Nailed it.

Django excepted, Tarantino recently seems to be primarily interested in coming up with a compelling female character and putting her in a situation...

Mia Wallace? Jackie Brown? I think it still fits....

His bio is interesting and too supports your theory

..."Moving to California at the age of 4, Tarantino developed his love for movies at an early age. One of his earliest memories is of his grandmother taking him to see a John Wayne movie. Tarantino also loved storytelling, but he showed his creativity in unusual ways.

"He wrote me sad Mother's Day stories. He'd always kill me and tell me how bad he felt about it," his mother Connie Zastoupil once told Entertainment Weekly. "It was enough to bring a tear to a mother's eye."...

I'd love to see his take on "Blue Velvet" or "Psycho"...chuckle

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Mia Wallace? Jackie Brown?

I had thought of both but decided they didn't fit.

With Pulp Fiction, Mia Wallace is kinda marginal -- as if QT was transitioning out of his Resevoir Dogs (no girls) phase -- and the film doesn't seem to be written to really showcase her (apart from the Jack Rabbit Slim's getting to know you chit chat). I think of QT as a video store dork with no confidence in girls who casted Uma because he thought she was hot after seeing her in, I don't know, Dangerous Liasons. Once he got Uma, he liked it (shades of Spielberg and Capshaw. It's fun being Mr. Director) and that's what led to the three film chic flick streak noted above -- BUT Tarantino also liked all the praise he got for resurrecting Travolta, which is why he followed up Pulp Fiction with. . . . .

Jackie Brown was unquestionably written for Pam Grier but her character really doesn't change and it seems to me that Tarantino was more interested in the Forsythe, DiNiro and Jackson characters than Grier. Notably, Tarantino still has his hot young thing in Fonda. To me, Jackie Brown was satisfying his John Travolta career resurrection urge, not his pet project for his female chum of the moment urge. Put it this way: what scene was QT more into? Basterds' putting out fire with gasoline or Grier's long walk through the terminal with the money?

Pale Horse said:
I'd love to see his take on "Blue Velvet" or "Psycho"...chuckle

That's funny. Tarantino has so much genre loyalty (and riffing on genre in a way that only he can) that I'd love to see him go David Lynch and just do something strange.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

:60-second teevee spot comprised mostly of recycled footage. It does give us our first look at Samuel L. Jackson's character, and a new bit with Mr. Dicaprio.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XLAwepBQUmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Le Saboteur

New trailer was released a couple of days back. This one's definitely more humorous than previous offerings. Is that Jonah Hill in a Tarantino movie?!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ztD3mRMdqSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm curious as to the woman in the bandanna with the double-bladed axe is supposed to be.

Le Saboteur

Forbidden Eye said:
So has anyone seen this yet?

I've been playing catchup, both at home and in the theatre. So, to make a long story short, not yet. Though, while browsing the 'net, I did come across this rather interesting blurb.

Quentin Tarantino said:
"Yeah, it's actually funny. One of my American Western heroes is not John Ford, obviously. To say the least, I hate him. Forget about faceless Indians he killed like zombies. It really is people like that that kept alive this idea of Anglo-Saxon humanity compared to everybody else's humanity -- and the idea that that's hogwash is a very new idea in relative terms. And you can see it in the cinema in the '30s and '40s -- it's still there. And even in the '50s."

The full interview can be read over here. If you're so inclined to continue, check out part two and three here and here.

django_jamie_foxx.jpg

roundshort

WOW - I had HUGE expectations going into this movie. I had heard WAY too many interviews with QT, I had read WAY too many reviews, and had seen too many previews. Hell I even talked to QT himself about this movie. I was let down by IB. But this was by far the best QT movie to date.

He really seems to be in a healthy place with his ego and he made one hell of a great movie. Any time I can sit through a 2.5 hour movie and have no idea how long it is is telling. He weaves from deep belly laughs to look away graphic shots.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do directly to this movie, buy a big extra butter popcorn, a box of snow caps, and huge Coke, and ENJOY!

Dr.Sartorius

Favorite film of the year. Enjoyed it a lot. I loved Foxx's and Waltz's characters. They had great chemistry. I was a doubter regarding this film and I was happy to be surprised!!

roundshort

One of the repeated things I heard about this movie was how Foxx was up staged by Waltz, Jackson and Leo - I disagree. I think Foxx held it the whole way. He was the least Comic book so probably a harder role to play than the other three. That being said, all were outstanding.

Stoo

Django Changed?

Q.Tarantino revived a forgotten, cowboy character to make a movie about the Pee-Wee Hockey League in Quebec?:confused: I'd pay to see that on the big screen!(y)

Django_zpse4b1cc47.jpg

Courtesy of the Montreal Gazette...:rolleyes:

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
In the beginning there was only one Django.

Why yes, yes there is.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VpmOTGungnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith said:
Quentin played a character called Piringo in Sukiyaki Western Django:

Which was wildly entertaining despite his being in it. Who knew a samurai-western mashup would work so well?

Don't forget to scoop up your Django Unchained action figures before they're pulled from store shelves due to controversy!

django-unchained-action-figures.jpg

Available to pre-order now from finer online toy retailers everywhere!

Also: For those of you in the San Francisco Bay Area who might like to check out some of the original Spaghetti westerns on the big screen, Berkeley's Pacific Film Archive is having a short run of 'em starting tomorrow.

Thursday, January 10, 2013
7:00 p.m. Duck, You Sucker (The better title: A Fistful of Dynamite)
Sergio Leone (Italy/Spain, 1971). Score by Ennio Morricone! In torrid Mexico, just in time for the undoing of Porfirio Diaz's dictatorship, the bandito Juan (Rod Steiger, sputtering in Spanglish) teams with nitroglycerin expert Sean Mallory (James Coburn) to make a few holes with the “holy water.” Leone's strangest concoction—a mix of high camp, booming ordnance, and radical zeal.(158 mins)

Saturday, January 12, 2013
8:10 p.m. The Mercenary
Sergio Corbucci (Italy/Spain, 1968). Score by Ennio Morricone! The revolution will not be narcotized in Corbucci’s rabble-rousing rebellion, which follows a Mexican peasant leader Paco Roman (Tony Musante), a taciturn mercenary (Franco Nero), and oppressed silver miners as they battle businessman and a psychotic thug (Jack Palance).(105 mins)

Thursday, January 17, 2013
7:00 p.m. A Bullet for the General
Damiano Damiani (Italy, 1966). Gian-Maria Volontè plays El Chucho, a badass bandit bent on exploiting the revolution, whose brother is the demented priest El Santo (the feral one, Klaus Kinski). The action is packed in this compressed concentrate about deceitful perversion and political conversion. (118 mins)

Saturday, January 19, 2013
8:45 p.m. China 9, Liberty 37
Monte Hellman (Italy/Spain, 1978). The director of such acid oaters as The Shooting and Ride in the Whirlwind samples the spicy red concoction of Spaghetti for this latter-day Western, starring Warren Oates and Fabio Testi as two gunslingers setting their sights on railroading moguls and their freight car full of hired thugs. (102 mins)

Friday, January 25, 2013
9:10 p.m. Navajo Joe
Sergio Corbucci (Italy/Spain, 1966). Score by Ennio Morricone! A pre-stardom Burt Reynolds is Navajo Joe, who’s on the warpath after his wife is killed. Part of Ennio Morricone’s score, complete with embedded screams, was lifted for Tarantino’s Kill Bill: Vol. 2. (92 mins)

Sunday, January 27, 2013
5:00 p.m. Sabata
Gianfranco Parolini (Italy/Spain, 1969). Spaghetti Western stalwart Lee Van Cleef glares his way across a town of “upstanding citizens”—and takes them all on—in this brutal Western. A character’s concealed “banjo gun” was later lifted by El Mariachi. (107 mins)

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

I actually only saw Django because I thought it was an homage to the classic 1970's Blaxplotation area which is one of my favorite genre's

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-Fig_LoBy4?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-Fig_LoBy4?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yy0DqQ4NqTA?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yy0DqQ4NqTA?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Don't forget to scoop up your Django Unchained action figures before they're pulled from store shelves due to controversy!

django-unchained-action-figures.jpg

Available to pre-order now from finer online toy retailers everywhere!)

Rocket, where are you? These NECA figures are 8", just like Mego!

8345120004_0288360418_z.jpg

8344061499_419328c6f1_z.jpg

8345119160_20bcd6331a_z.jpg

8345119602_b90f064896_z.jpg

8344062741_6c83e37c72_z.jpg

8344062441_3a13681efe_z.jpg

8345119304_19b8951b88_z.jpg

Enterbay's 1/6 scale are slightly better. ;)

69464edejw1e015dny3koj.jpg

69464edejw1e015e9z1wrj.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Tarantino but I did like this movie.:gun: Isn't one of Tarantino's trademarks the Mexican standoff? There wasn't one in this movie was there? I don't remember seeing one.