• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Difficult. I may resign myself to sticking with medium-light leathers I like the look/feel of and invest in discreet fleece lining type garments for winter.

Glenville86

I ended up buying a lighter vest and a heavy fleece vest. Got them a size smaller so they would not hang below the jacket. Have used this setup for the last several Winters.

Now, if the temps drop below 10 degrees (F), I switch out to a work style heavy lined canvas jacket.......

I have found with HH and cowhide with the vest, you will stay pretty warm if you are moving. I used to walk to work when in Germany and would actually sweat through my shirt. This was in the Winter when it was pretty cold.

I have read that unlined leather jackets are just an insulator from wind and the elements. It is what you layer underneath that determines how warm you stay. I would think the Wested standard lamb and any of their jackets except for the really light ones would be alright.

I think the weight of the HH makes it a colder weather jacket. Has to be in the mid-forties or below for me to wear them.

Drones33

Wested ToD in authentic lambskin.
Chest 42"
Sleeve 25"
back 26"
tod_1_by_00177840-dbm0ozm.jpg

tod4_1_by_00177840-dbm0p5r.jpg

Johnnydooks

Wested Custom Raiders Wide Sleeves

I have had my custom raiders for about six months now, and I am starting to notice that the sleeves are pretty wide. Is this just a characteristic of the custom raiders? It seems as though this would not be a problem that would not be easily altered(if possible at all).

Last edited:

Major West

Sleeves are wider on the 'Raiders' version of the jacket, of course depending on the size of jacket you've got they could be wider. I prefer the wider sleeves, especially if you ever layer the jacket with more than just a shirt.

If you want skinner tapered, and more screen accurate sleeves, you should order the 'Hero' version of the Raiders. Personally speaking I need to size up on the Hero jacket just for more comfortable arm sleeves. Of course arm holes are about an inch smaller on the hero as well.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
I think the weight of the HH makes it a colder weather jacket. Has to be in the mid-forties or below for me to wear them.

I was tempted by the HH again this evening after reading a thread on COW by a young lad who'd been putting his HH Raiders jacket through it's paces over the last four years, adventuring and doing hard labour type work across the globe. It held up amazing well of course. I suppose if it was your only jacket you would wear it all the time, but I keep reading people saying they don't wear HH until the weather is pretty freezing which puts me off. :)

Jacket does look the part in the same way the authentic lamb does. Tempting.

dakota

Major West said:
I was tempted by the HH again this evening after reading a thread on COW by a young lad who'd been putting his HH Raiders jacket through it's paces over the last four years, adventuring and doing hard labour type work across the globe. It held up amazing well of course. I suppose if it was your only jacket you would wear it all the time, but I keep reading people saying they don't wear HH until the weather is pretty freezing which puts me off. :)

Jacket does look the part in the same way the authentic lamb does. Tempting.

I own quite a few A2 jackets in horsehide and I have found that they suit all weather types, mainly spring, summer, fall.

When winter arrives I usually retire the A2 until the following spring and wear a more substantial jacket preferably not leather, like a B-10 or N-1 deck jacket or a NB-2 parka even sometimes a US Tanker jacket.

Major West

I suppose it depends what the thickness of the Horse Hide is. Wested's is classed as heavyweight. With Cow being medium weight and Goat and lamb are feather weight. I find the medium weight leathers to be quite substantial and have yet to try anything classed as heavier.

dakota

Correct, Wested's horsehide must be very thick if they class it as heavy weight.

All of my A2s are mil-spec weight horsehide so not that heavy in comparison to my Wested custom Raiders in the dark novapelle hide, which is much heavier.

TheAdventurer

I just received my Coyles Jacket in the mail yesterday. I got it on eBay for $65. I've never owned an indy jacket before so I guess I can't compare quality, but gosh darn it, this is a nice jacket! I've done a ton of research on indy gear and tried to find the best quality with a good price and this jacket always seemed to be right there with some of the other more expensive competitors. I was a little worried about getting it on eBay, mostly because I am a super small frame (5"7', 125lbs) and thought I was gonna have to make some adjustments for sure. However, it fit me perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

I will say, I was a little surprised at how light weight the jacket was. I'm not disappointed, but I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota and it is definitely gonna need some insulation (sweater or something) underneath to keep me warm on my adventures. Not a problem...we adventurers always find a way. :)

I will try to post some photo's soon. I am still waiting on my new Indy hat to come in the mail.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
Come on Major West........Just buy the jacket. ;)

Depending on the weather where you are, it could be a 3 season jacket.

:D I opted for a medium weight jacket instead. Will see how it looks when it arrives. (y)

Drones33

The current Collection

collection_1_by_00177840-dbnl0jb.jpg

Clockwise from the top; Cockpit A2 in heavy duty lamb. Not an Indy jacket obviously, but very traditional; Wested ToD in brown lambskin with custom black lining; Wested custom Raiders in goat, with Hero pockets and zip; custom LC in dark brown novapelle.

Glenville86

Nice collection. I have a US Wings goat A2 and a couple different grades of
HH A2 jackets from them as well. Since I usually wear the Indy jackets, the A2 ones just sit in the closet.......:(

dakota

Drones33 said:
collection_1_by_00177840-dbnl0jb.jpg

Clockwise from the top; Cockpit A2 in heavy duty lamb. Not an Indy jacket obviously, but very traditional; Wested ToD in brown lambskin with custom black lining; Wested custom Raiders in goat, with Hero pockets and zip; custom LC in dark brown novapelle.

Very nice indeed, I currently own only two Wested Indy jackets, a Hero in shrunken lamb and a custom Raiders in dark brown novapelle.

My other leather jackets are four USAAF A2s in horsehide, one USN M-422a and six USN G1s all in goatskin.

Drones33

Sounds like quite a collection you have there Dakota.

Glenville86 said:
Nice collection. I have a US Wings goat A2 and a couple different grades of
HH A2 jackets from them as well. Since I usually wear the Indy jackets, the A2 ones just sit in the closet.......:(

Yeah, my A2 is the one I wear least often, mainly because it's not only really thick and heavy but has a quilted lining too, so only comes out when the weather is freezing.

Major West

My medium weight jacket arrived. Hero jacket in Brown Cowhide. Click on the link to see:

https://imgur.com/a/rZtVy

I really like it. The colour is very similar to the Authentic lamb, but it has more of grain on it. It's thicker of course, soft enough to not be stiff, and doesn't feel too heavy. It feels good wearing it, very comfortable, as a jacket I feel like I'm wearing a jacket so to speak. I've only worn it a day and not done anything but lightly spray the collar with water before I went out, just to bend the collar a bit and a quick spray on the arms. Probaby all I'm going to do at this stage. As I will wear this for most of the winter. Definitely gives a warm and insulating feel. I was sweating yesterday and only had a shirt on underneath.