The Social Network

DocWhiskey

That's right boys and girls!

Just when you thought Hollywood couldn't go any lower!

When you log into your Facebook account, didn't you always think the website would make a great movie?

WELL NOW IT IS!

It's called The Social Network and it's about the formation of Facebook.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59380

Why?

Who knows.

It's not like Facebook was this brand new networking site. There's been SO much before it. It's like making a film about Jesus Christ but just skipping to the crucification.

Oh, wait, Hollywood did that too. And did I just compare Facebook to Jesus Christ?

Anyway let me hear your thoughts, complaints, judgements and prosecutions!

AlivePoet

Who cares, except for the fact that Facebook is going to f-ing advertise this all over their site and spam everybody's accounts to draw more attention to the film.

Actually, that does seem pretty lame-ass.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
And it's written and directed by those hacks Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher!

And it's based on such a boring-sounding book "The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal" for which Zuckerberg wouldn't even provide an interview (for obvious reasons)...

Come on, Hollywood. Try making a flick without sex, money or betrayal for a change. It's been done.

The Drifter

What a stupid idea for a movie.
The Raven should be made into a movie. Lots of good characters around here. I wonder who would play Lonsome_Drifter?

Goonie

They're just testing the waters. Just wait until Twitter: The Movie will be released! Starring Ashton Kutcher and Larry King :rolleyes:

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
What a stupid idea for a movie.
The Raven should be made into a movie. Lots of good characters around here. I wonder who would play Lonsome_Drifter?

George Clooney?

WilliamBoyd8

Some time ago I read a book titled "The Soul of a New Machine",
which was about a bunch of computer programmers in the early 1980's
sitting around writing code.

The book was a paperback and claimed "Soon to be a major motion picture".

:)

Gear

Wow. The world's really hurting for new talents.

Apparently I lost my FaceBook account. Due to inactivity.

AlivePoet

A documentary about Facebook, given its extreme popularity within such a short amount of time, would be more reasonable, however unnecessary. It's just a case of Hollywood being sapped for ideas and trying to capitalize on what everyone's into. And a significant number of folks around the world are into Facebook, so...

I would imagine the next ridiculous excuse for a mass marketing film would be iMovie. What else has Apple not yet trademarked?

Lance Quazar

AlivePoet said:
A documentary about Facebook, given its extreme popularity within such a short amount of time, would be more reasonable, however unnecessary. It's just a case of Hollywood being sapped for ideas and trying to capitalize on what everyone's into. And a significant number of folks around the world are into Facebook, so...

Or maybe it's actually, you know, a GOOD idea. Knowing almost nothing about it, it sounds like a fascinating story. It is based on a best-selling book and, as Moedred pointed out, as attracted one of the best writers and one of the best directors in the business.

Hardly the earmarks of Hollywood "capitalizing on a trend."

DocWhiskey

Lance Quazar said:

Hollywood's ALWAYS capitalizing on a trend. Sometimes they just happen to get talented people involved.

AlivePoet

Lance Quazar said:
Or maybe it's actually, you know, a GOOD idea. Knowing almost nothing about it, it sounds like a fascinating story. It is based on a best-selling book and, as Moedred pointed out, as attracted one of the best writers and one of the best directors in the business.

Hollywood enjoys romanticizing and dramatizing anything in popular culture that they can squeeze a profit out of. It's a business...I've been there, I've seen the way it works. It's their line of work. That's all dandy, until they feel the need to take events that are ongoing in modern life and put an artificial spin on them. They can't leave anything alone.

Doc pretty much said it. If you refuse to acknowledge that it's at least partially true, good on you.