Dangerous Indy Moments in your own life.

MyFedora

I once took a short cut through a hotel parking garage. When I flung myself over the chest high wall. I discovered the other side was at least a 30 foot drop. I was lucky to catch the wall before I fell to my doom.
I've had a few experiences with snakes as well. While walking through the woods I stepped over a fallen tree and right into the personal space of a rattle snake. When I was a teenager. A friend of mine and I were skateboarding. We decided to rest and sit down on our skateboards just off the road. There was a snake directly under us. I can't say what kind of snake it was. Us and the snake went in different directions.
The best is the fact that I have a small scar between my chin and my bottom lip. Like Indy. It was NOT done on purpose. It happened when I was a little kid (Long before "Raiders" came out). The sad thing is. I don't know how I got it.

QueZTone

okay this one is a kind of a mystery..

we were at a camping in Switzerland I think. The camping lay in a valley of some sort. Anyway there was this steep hill that almost looked like people walked there a lot. But it was behind bushes etc. So I tried climbing up the hill, but it was really steep so I pulled myself up on branches en tree trunks. Then I was almost at the top but there wasn't really anything to pull me up on. I rested in that position for a few secs to get on breath to try to just pull me up by the edge. But then I heared 'zzzzzz'. I almost paniced. You see, what Indy has for snakes I have for wasps and bees. Now this was a huge bee and it went into this hole in the 'hill'. But then I saw that there were like half a dozen of those kind of holes there. And bees were flying in and out etc. I got kinda scared and slided down the hill, first slowly then faster and faster until i got hold of a tree trunk and i slid down from trunk to trunk. So i was safe again. But that I remember when looking over the edge I saw a fence. I couldn't stand it that I didn't get up there. I went back to our campsite.

A day later I went there with my older brother. I told him we had to climb up there. So we did. We helped each other up to the top and managed to avoid the bees. We got up there and saw a hole in the fence. We went through it walked passed a line of trees. And there was this amazing field. Just amazing, I'm not sure what it was that made it amazing. But it was a rectangular field surrounded by trees. Then we saw a man running at the other side of the field, running across! To us! So we were like super scared and ran off! Through the fence again, going down the hill so fast we crashed into the bushes down. Anyway we ran back to our campsite..

hmm it may not seem an adventure or anything, but my adrenaline sure was going high! :D

it mightve been a secret route to get into the camping to use its facilities, but then again it might've also been a route for smugglers and thieves!

andrew

okay, you guys might now believe this, but it's true, i promise. . .

one time our car got fire-bombed with molotif (spelling?) cocktails. my dad and i actually managed to put the fire out before the firefighters arrived. in montenegro yugoslavia, that's not surprising since everyone is always at least twenty minutes late for everything.

i was rock climbing with some of my friends when the rope broke. needless to say, i was on it. i somehow managed to grap a small protruding tree before a crashed down. okay, okay, so indy would have had that get yanked out of his hands, and go down a couple moore times, but. . .

and i swear it's the gospel truth!

I

Indy Heith

Hey Renderking You was chased by satinists???? I was chased by The KKK twice.When I was coon huntin' one night.... that was one messed up expirence.... I remember I had to jump the creek it was about 15 feet wide so I landed in the water about a foot in front of the other side.... the were throwin' s#$% at me too (I think they where just throwin' there clubs and there was some guy who threw a long ass flag pole kind of like a spear....).... I even dropped my 99 dollar Nite Lite when I was runnin.... I was chased in the dark by about 15 KKK members, through a creek, through a cow pasture, through a few peoples back yards, through a open field and all the way back to where my truck was parked.... Coon huntin' was out of season so I was just huntin' with my dogs walkin' through the woods without a gun.... but when I got back to my truck I whipped out my by god 22 long rifle automatic savage arms rifle and shot in the air a few times a few of them evn got scared and pulled back but then they came back runnin' so I slung my rifle in the back of my truck and hauled ass!!!! I came back the next day (to get my dogs) and didnt find a trace of anything they throwed at me.... I went again one night about 2 weeks later at a different spot about 4 miles away and had another run in with the Sonsof#@$$%#!!!! I ran like hell that time and got back to my truck when I noticed that they quit chasin' me about a mile back.... Id say that in both of them run ins I was runned about 7 miles altogether.... I felt just like Indy runnin' from the Hovitos in Raiders!!!!....

P.S. I hate santanists.... They are truly a pitful group of people....

[Edited by Indy Heith on 12-15-2002 at 04:20 pm]

IndyMac

This thread was dead, but I'm rssurecting it.
The most scary thing happened to me recently...Well, more than one, but this first nearly got me killed.

Me and a friend were rock climbing in a canyon near where we live. Well, I'm the lead man who goes and plots the route for the rest of the climbers, and it's a lot of fun. But anyway, I was halfway up this "wall" (About 30 FT up) when the rock I was holding onto became loose. At first I didn't notice it, but as I pulled to climb it became completely unjarred and fell off...Taking me down with it. Now I'm high up, the botoom that I will hit is a steep hill so I would just smack into the ground and the roll down the hill a ways. But thanks to the quick reaction of my buddy and my reflexes, I was able to grab hold of a hand grip just as my friend pulled the ropetight to stop me. And I came to an abrupt stop that knocked the wind out of me. I caught my breath and then climbed to the top.

My second story is, I got into a fistfight with some fool. He wasn't a large fellow, but he wasn't small either.
He was being a jerk and was insulting my group of friends, and my religious beliefs. After a few minutes of all the badgering, I asked him to stop. He said no in a idiotic and smarmy fashion and told me to sit down and shut up. At this he started to rip on my GF and that was it. I gave him a good right hook. He stumbled a bit but then came back at me. He wrestled me to the ground and got in a good couple of punches that gave a me a big'ol fat lip, and a bruised right cheek. But then I turned him on his back and went at him like Indy did to the Thugee guard on the treadmill thing. After a few seconds (This all happend in like one minute) my friends came over and seperated us. The guy went to his car, and I went with a friend to find a first-aid kit.
Once again, I guarantee these stories to be true.

British_Lion_2003

Well when I was younger there was some IRA people called and said that there was a bomb at the swimming pool I went to. I only found out what was happening after I was at the other side of the car park frezzing.

I had quite a few scary experiences when I went on the school ski trip. Not being able to ski didnt help.

I was on a well steep hill and the ski instructor told us to go down diagnally doing a snow plough. So every one did and went down nice and slowly. When it came to my turn i started off nicely then it all went wrong. I just started going down in a straight line and my skis wouldnt stop me. I was headed straight for the rest of my group and I stoped just in front of them. It was pritty cool but i didnt think I could stop.

Indy Smith

This happened to me when I was about 12. My friend and his younger brother and I went on adventures all the time exploring other ares closer to where we stay. One time we decided to go to an area called "Royston" which was over a bridge and on the other side of the motorway (freeway). We went there because we wanted to climb the high rise flats and see what kind of view we could get.

We managed to get into one of these flats, which were controlled entry. After travelling up a few flights of stairs we began to say that this was not a very good idea. The stairs were dirty and smelly, there was graffitti on the walls and only one sign of escape. We heard some voices of older boys laughing and carrying on from further up the stairs and we decided to leave the building in case we got in to trouble.

Once outside the building we were relieved but not for long. Outside were two older boys holding Bow and Arrows. They approached us asking of our business. We said no business and walked off to go back home. A few moments after we were probably 20 yards away and they began screaming! They had started to chase us. Well, we rean, we ran all the way through the housing scheme and along the way another person joined in the pursuit.

We appraoched the bridge and the three of us, myself in the lead, Robert second and his younger brother last. We kept on running, but on the other side of the bridge they stopped chasing us.

So one of my Indy Moments involved me getting chased by natives with bow and arrows :D

Kill Cavalry

until I read this post and started to really think about it, I thought my life was pretty dull...

I was once chased by a bear, another time I stared down a mountain lion (if you see a mountain lion, stare straight at it and look big; if you see a bear, don't do what I did). I went white water kayaking, hiking, hunting, and faced danger (mainly from myself) in all of those.

The mountain lion story was much more frightening. I have a strange habit of being paranoid. When I hear something I don't recognize in a dark alley, I tend to crack my knuckles and try to look as menacing as a guy in a collared button up shirt with broken eye glasses can. I was walking back to my car from a get together at a friends house when I heard something rustling the leaves (it was in the middle of a campground that her family runs). We happened to be enjoying the matrix that night and I was dressed as Neo. I wore black pants and a black coat that went below my knees. I knew this area had some mountain lions in it, but that wasn't in my mind at the time. I kept walking. My feet clacked against the street as I walked because they were heavier than usual. I heard the rustling again. This time mountain lions were at the forefront of my mind, not because it happened to pass my mind, but because I saw two glowing eyes. I knew that big cats attack their prey at the back of the neck, so I turned and faced it. My black Neo coat was unbuttoned and I spread my arms, lifiting it and making me look two times my size. I heard a growling and hoped to God it was a dog, but being a dog owner myself I knew it wasn't. I walked toward the thing (which probably wasn't too smart) and yelled whatever came to my head, which was probably something like "Uh...yeah! I'm a big human...guy! You better watch out because...uh...I know Kung Fu!" but I don't remember it because I was really freaked out. Why couldn't this have happened during the day? Don't they usually hunt during the day? Does it matter right now? As I got closer I slowly lowered one and grabbed my crooked glasses (I'm nearsighted) and slid them onto my face. Now I wish I hadn't. That was once huge ass kitten! After about ten minutes of yelling, "Uh...GET! Yeah, that's it! Get!", and staring down the beast, it walked slowly away. That was some scary ****.

smithwesson44

When I was four years old, my parents, aunt, uncle, and cousin were going hiking with me. I was wandering off the path and fell face first into a jagged rock. All I really remember was that my chin was split, blood was gushing out of my chin and mouth, and that it hurt like hell. To this day I have a genuine Indy scar.

EvilDevo

this happened to me a few years ago. i was in the street in front of a friends house with some people, and one guy was leaving. so me and my friend grabbed onto the spoiler of his car (dont ask why, just being goofs i guess) and ran along behind his car. but he didnt see us and quickly sped up... my friend dave tripped and fell, but i didnt want to ruin this new shirt i was wearing, so i held on, my legs dragging on the pavement, and climbed up onto the back of his car. he finally noticed me after i banged on his rear window and stopped. i crawled off and lay down on the road... my shirt had been saved, but unfortunately i was wearing sandals at the time, and the skin on my legs and feet was a little less than perfect. it hurt to walk for the next couple weeks, but my raiders style stunt was pretty cool. and the scars have mostly disappeared... hah hah

[Edited by devin_149 on 06-02-2003 at 03:34 pm]

westford

LOL at Indy Smith's post - Scottish cities can be dangerous places! My brother nearly lost an eye when him and his mates were being chased throught the woods by a gang from Foxbar - a tree branch whipped back into his face, missing his eye by maybe 2cm.

ROTLA

I had a scary experience on a canoe trip during my college's "Senior Week" in 1995. It's a little lengthy but hopefully entertaining:

I was in a canoe with two roommates, one having a broken arm (he was in the middle). Well, the livery almost called the whole thing off because it had rained for 2 or 3 days and the water was almost too high. We were the 2nd last canoe to ship off. Barely 100 yards downstream, the river started pushing our canoe toward a pile of tree branches and other general debris which had accumalate against the bridge support. The canoe tipped, sending me (and the other two guys) into the water. The current was starting to push me under and into the build-up. Had that happened, I probably would have died because I would have been caught up and trapped under water. Instinctively, I threw my hands up and behind me. I was lucky enough to grab a large tree limb and pulled myself to the surface. The river current was so strong and quick that my legs were being thrown against another log while I was hanging on. I looked to my right and saw "Broken Arm" hanging on toward the end of a limb. Neither of us saw the third guy. Just when we were close to panic stage about our friend, we looked down stream and saw a life jacket and head bouncing with the flow..."WEEEEEEEEE!!!" is all the idiot could say. He was actually enjoying it (probably because he wasn't caught up in the garbage like we were). Luckily the last canoe to ship off came by and those people helped us into their canoe. I coughed up water for the next few hours and had a swollen knee for a couple weeks. In fact, I still have a lump on the knee which took the most abuse (probably had a minor fracture or something) but I never got it looked at.

Well, that's my Indy moment. Sorry it took so long!!

Kumba

I've certainly had my share of adventures, but the one that comes to mind is one that happened to me two years ago...
I was outside with my dog, Andy, throwing him his frisbee, but unbeknownst to me some stupid kids in a backyard to the left of my backyard decided to open the gate to a fenced-in dog cage, a German shepard dog to be precise. While I was in the back of my backyard with my dog, I heard those stupid kids shouting "Michael, Michael!". I looked towards the commotion and to my surprise saw a German Shepard running straight at me. I quickly turned and ran in a diagnal path. The german shepard, which I have now deemed the "Nazi dog", lunged at me and clawed my left leg. My lower part of my shorts on the left side was instantly torn to shreds. The force of the lunge from the dog made me slip on the grass and I fell right on my back. When I looked up the nazi dog was circling around. I knew I had to think fast because wouldn't be able to run this time, so I remembered that the nose is an animals weak spot, so, as this german shepard started coming towards me again, whack! I kicked him right in his nose with the heel of my shoe. The german quickly backed off while I got up and ran inside, with a pair of ripped shorts and a bloody leg.
Now, you might be wondering "Why didn't Andy, my dog, protect me. HA! My dog is definetly not a Lassie; he just stood there and watched. Yep. Dogs truly are a man's best friend....

CikMatt

The only real Indy-ish thing I believe I've ever done was in the defense of my friends cat.

One morning, during the summer way before any of us could drive, I had rode my bike up the neighborhood to his house. I got let inside by the babysitter, as his parents had already gone to work, and my friend and his smaller brother were still waking up and getting ready.

All of a sudden, we heard a terribly noise coming from the backyard. The babysitter and I rushed to the window to see my friends cat being mangalled by two rather large dalmations. These dogs could stand on their hind legs, and easibly have been a foot taller than I was, back then.

Not thinking at all, I stupidly rush out the back door and scoop up the cat. This prompts the cat to sink her claws into my stomach, while one of the dalmations sinks it's teeth into my leg. The other dalmation kept jumping at me barking. Finally, I shake the one dog off my leg, and begun to run inside with said cat. The other dalmation then jumped up from behind my right shoulder, and as I looked over all I saw were teeth.. large slobbery teeth. Naturally, I reacted by elbowing the dog in the head. The dog didn't much like that, either.

Finally I'm back inside safely allowing myself to collapse on the floor, and bleed abit. The dogs put about five holes into my legs, while the cat left lots of nice scratches on my chest. Unfortunatly, the cat was also very injured, and it died in my arms on the way to the vets, when the babysitter finally realized she'd better get it to the doctors. Not a terribly exicting tale, but I did my part for that poor cat. I don't think those dogs are on a leash, or behind a fence even still to this day.