Harrison vs. Tom

indyfreak

Yeah, I was trying my absolute hardest to envision Indy with that god-awful mustache... but I when I got close, I started laughing so hard that I completely destroyed my concentration. In other, more simplistic words: No, I do not think Tom Selleck would have done as good a job. Not by any stretch of the, er, imagination. :D (Forget about stretching, I think I sprained mine with the moustache bit. LOL)

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not bashing Tom's acting ability. I quite enjoyed his Magnum series! And I will have to rent that certain "Raider-esque" movie everyone keeps yabbering about ;)

[Edited by indyfreak on 03-17-2003 at 09:47 am]

Canyon

Wanna see something interesting?

Check these pictures out!

NONAME11.jpg
NONAME12.jpg

I'm just having so much trouble imagining Selleck as Indy...

fatima

~:rolleyes: I think if Tom had accepted the role Indy would look like more a macho latino than any other thing....bah!though yeah it could be very funny!!!

westford

I guess we'll never know how Indy would have turned out with Tom instead of Harrison, but maybe in another dimension things worked out differently... ;)

Magnum PI is on Channel 5 in the UK every weekday morning I think - I tried to watch one episode, but got put off by Tom's shorts! :eek:

IndysGal

Canyon, that article you wrote was very well said. I loved it. Nice work! I believe that Harrison Ford made Indiana Jones believable, and fantastic at the same time! I don't think Tom Selleck would have captured the charisma, pain, or intensity that Harrison gave. His face and his gestures were original and just plain awesome! I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role of Indy; Harrison is the only one! Tom Selleck has done good acting in other action films ... but no one beats HF! I am so glad he was picked and became the hero I'll love forever!! :)

PS- Great pics! Confirms my ..uh, view on who should've played Indiana. Go Harry!

[Edited by IndysGal on 03-19-2003 at 06:21 pm]

Canyon

Hey, IndysGal! Thank you very much for your kind comments. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my article!

I could not agree with you more about the way in which Harrison played Indy. Everything he said and did in the trilogy was perfect. Even the parts when he didn't say anything were great, as he has the most expressive eyes ever!!! (very nice too:D)

Indy 4

Although I do like Tom Selleck, I think Spielberg and Lucas made a wise decision with sticking with Ford. The Indy character seems to fit Ford more than it could have with Selleck. Selleck is a good actor, but not really one made for the big screen. He is better off in t.v. shows and made for t.v. movies. But Ford was the perfect choice to play Indiana Jones.

indyfreak

I can see why they originally went for Tom Selleck though (and you probably already know). It was the wisest thing to do in their position, as they had already used HF recently as an action-type hero. They wanted someone that the movie-going public wouldn't readily associate with another existing character. That was their (quite reasonable) logic. But luckily for us, when Tom was out, we got our God-send: Harrison - adventure personified.

Canyon

Hey, I found some more pictures! It's really strange seeing another film star dressed as Indy.

v_magnum_01.jpg
v_magnum_02.jpg

<small>(The scary thing is, I think these pics are taken from High Road to China...)</small>

indyfreak

whoa! That site's pretty interesting even if you don't know french. I'm thinking it may have been Danny in the second picture, (though I can't see it...). Anyway, they were thinking of casting him as Sallah at one point. And if I interpreted this right - SS was looking at Nick Nolte but he refused to wear a fedora...

I think Google has a translating engine, so if anyone would like to look at Canyon's link in English, you can try that. (I would but don't have time) :p