General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Grizzlor

Pale Horse said:
Absolutely not.

No one is right now. Not even Disney. Not now. Perhaps in the next 1/2 decade. And that's being ...blindly optimistic. Even for me.

Well, you don't know that for a fact.

Dr. Gonzo

Grizzlor said:
Well, you don't know that for a fact.

qreDd8K.gif

Mickiana

The guy above looks like an elderly 'Junior' from Sin City. Slightly healthier pallor
though.

On an unrelated note, I was watching a Youtube clip, 'Malcolm Turnbull NBN blunders and Rupert Murdoch' on Friendlyjordies channel and at 4min46sec there is a picture of Hitler wearing Indy's hat?! Is this some spoiler for an Indy5?: 'Indiana Jones and the Retrieval of His Hat from Hitler'. How did Adolph get it in the first place, or is it imitation? :D

TheFedora

Mickiana said:
On an unrelated note, I was watching a Youtube clip, 'Malcolm Turnbull NBN blunders and Rupert Murdoch' on Friendlyjordies channel and at 4min46sec there is a picture of Hitler wearing Indy's hat?! Is this some spoiler for an Indy5?: 'Indiana Jones and the Retrieval of His Hat from Hitler'. How did Adolph get it in the first place, or is it imitation? :D

Plot twist: He signs Indy's hat as well as the Grail journal this time.

kongisking

TheFedora said:
Plot twist: He signs Indy's hat as well as the Grail journal this time.

Alternatively, Indy signs it for Hitler saying, "It's all yours."

Boy, that's a very depressing picture to look at now, considering...

Mickiana

kongisking said:
Alternatively, Indy signs it for Hitler saying, "It's all yours."

Boy, that's a very depressing picture to look at now, considering...

I wouldn't have expected that from you, Kong.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
I wouldn't have expected that from you, Kong.

Well, I mean its depressing since that photo showed just how well-liked LaBeouf was by Ford and the beards, and now, look how far Shia's fallen. A mental wreck, being bombarded with hate on all fronts, and Spielberg and Ford both vocally having disowned him. Damn, damn shame.

TheFedora

kongisking said:
Well, I mean its depressing since that photo showed just how well-liked LaBeouf was by Ford and the beards, and now, look how far Shia's fallen. A mental wreck, being bombarded with hate on all fronts, and Spielberg and Ford both vocally having disowned him. Damn, damn shame.

Yeah, that was one example of a franchise 'handover' falling hard. I think if anything they learned a lesson from that...also I honestly think speaking of handing over, that SW7 will be about handing over to the younger generation. So if any new Indy movie is made, it could be Indy handing over for real this time.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Entertainment Weekly has a 6-page Star Wars spread with rumors...
Ford’s Han Solo, in particular, is considered a co-lead, alongside three of the younger actors. (Just who is unclear.)
...causing some to speculate:
My guess is that not only is Han Solo going to lead the next STAR WARS film, it will probably be the only film Solo will have a big role in with the next trilogy and Ford will instead be reprising his role as Indiana Jones while EPISODE(s) VIII and IX are being filmed and released.
Edit: EW article grab pulled. To the Google cache!

TheFedora

Agreed, if this is indeed Ford's only SW film, it could open the door to a new Indy film. They could even write off Mutt saying that he had gone off somewhere, and it shows Indy giving the hat to someone else. Also the rumors saying that Han will have a bigger role then Leia or Luke are very interesting to me.

IndyForever

Rumours have been swirling for months that Ford only agreed to more Star Wars if Disney would actively pursue more Indiana Jones.....

Its a given Ford will not be in Star Wars for long its unlikely to be all 3 movies he never really cared much for it & wanted Solo to die heroically @ the end of ROTJ but Lucas refused.

I still hope somewhere behind the scenes Indiana Jones 5 + 6 are being ramped up there are still new stories to tell with Ford as Indiana Jones in the late 1950's they could even go back to 1955 & slip Connery in a prequel for 1 final adventure he is obviously long retired but might consider if the money was big enough as he has had tax problems in Spain.

The biggest obstacle to more Indiana Jones is Lucas. Spielberg will not make Indy without his buddy Lucas & Ford will be unlikely to accept a new director so on it goes into year 6 of development hell.......

Indy's brother

At this point, Lucas isn't in the way of anything Indy-related. He sold it. And after the much derided KOTCS, why should anyone care if he or Spielberg are involved? They've both grown away from that type of film, from what makes the character tick. It could be argued that Ford was the best part of the last one, so as long as he's in it, it can be pulled off. Why not just concede to a new director and accept the beards in the role of producing in some way? Which would pave the way, or at least provide a decent transition in tone for the eventual recast/reboot or whatever.

IndyForever

Indy's brother said:
At this point, Lucas isn't in the way of anything Indy-related. He sold it. And after the much derided KOTCS, why should anyone care if he or Spielberg are involved? They've both grown away from that type of film, from what makes the character tick. It could be argued that Ford was the best part of the last one, so as long as he's in it, it can be pulled off. Why not just concede to a new director and accept the beards in the role of producing in some way? Which would pave the way, or at least provide a decent transition in tone for the eventual recast/reboot or whatever.
Lucas + Spielberg are still key Ford is highly unlikely to star if neither of those 2 are involved in their traditional roles.

There is no-one else who could direct one of these in the same style as Spielberg & Ford knows this.

Ford drove Indy 4 as he really wanted to do it & now he is driving Indy 5 & or 6 but the key difference's are Disney own Lucafilm, Lucas is retired & Spielberg did not like the lukewarm fan reaction (I felt KOTCS was terrific) to KOTCS so is even more reluctant to direct another especially as Hollywood has rejected him because he took a massive financial cut on his movies & the profits diminished gradually. KOTCS is Spielberg's only true blockbuster movie since The Lost World in 1997!!

That's why Spielberg has had to get funding from many different sources (including India) as the major Hollywood studios no longer see his projects as financially viable he has become more of a serious director so cannot get high budgets anymore (unless its Indiana Jones or a signature movie like a popcorn blockbuster).

Spielberg is a great talent but IMO he is better suited to popcorn blockbusters than these serious movies he insists on making as anything more than an average/easily forgotten affair sadly :eek:

kongisking

IndyForever said:
Spielberg is a great talent but IMO he is better suited to popcorn blockbusters than these serious movies he insists on making as anything more than an average/easily forgotten affair sadly :eek:

He can do both fine, even magnificently. He's just trapped in Oscar-bait mode at this point in his career. And I strongly disagree that Shindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich and Lincoln are "average/easily forgotten affairs".

Indy's brother

IndyForever said:
Lucas + Spielberg are still key Ford is highly unlikely to star if neither of those 2 are involved in their traditional roles.

Forgive me for saying it, but you don't know this.

IndyForever said:
There is no-one else who could direct one of these in the same style as Spielberg & Ford knows this.

I don't believe that (these movies are very formulatic), and again, I don't think anyone can speak for what Ford knows but Mr. Ford himself.

IndyForever said:
Ford drove Indy 4 as he really wanted to do it & now he is driving Indy 5 & or 6 but the key difference's are Disney own Lucafilm, Lucas is retired & Spielberg did not like the lukewarm fan reaction (I felt KOTCS was terrific) to KOTCS so is even more reluctant to direct another especially as Hollywood has rejected him because he took a massive financial cut on his movies & the profits diminished gradually. KOTCS is Spielberg's only true blockbuster movie since The Lost World in 1997!!

What quote from Spielberg makes you say that he is "reluctant to direct another"? Everything that I've heard from him says the exact opposite. And Hollywood has rejected Steven Spielberg? Seriously?

Dude, not trying to instigate some endless post war here, but I really have to disagree with you. All of your reasoning here is pure conjecture.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
And after the much derided KOTCS, why should anyone care if he or Spielberg are involved? They've both grown away from that type of film, from what makes the character tick.

I thought you were on board with KOTCS?

Indy's brother said:
It could be argued that Ford was the best part of the last one, so as long as he's in it, it can be pulled off.

He was the best part. But as for pulling off another one...

Indy's brother said:
Why not just concede to a new director and accept the beards in the role of producing in some way? Which would pave the way, or at least provide a decent transition in tone for the eventual recast/reboot or whatever.

...Ford's role would be primarily transitional. Which is what I assumed the intent of KOTCS had been: all the references to age and ageing; Indy proving them wrong; yet in the end the story toys with passing on the hat. The wedding marks one of the traditional endings to a serial - 'the hero gets the girl'.

The implication was that Shia would be the next Indiana Jones, either literally in another film, or prospectively in the audience's imagination.

If Harrison is in Indy 5 it will be the third attempt at ending his involvement the series.

Going back in time was done with TOD, so this could be repeated in another film to keep Indy 'young'. As long as Harrison is made to appear younger, and the wild stunts are assisted by stand-ins (as usual) plus CGI, then a film is entirely possible.

In the old serials when a masked hero put on this costume a stunt man would take over, and would likely feature more than the more prominent actor named as the lead. Yet, Indy doesn't wear a mask. So would all the jiggery-pokery and illusion required to make the kind of film an audience expects be too much?

The alternative is to have Harrison in a less active transitional role to give the next Indy some screen time with the older one.

In reality I think the next Indy will simply be a younger actor in stories set in the a time up until 1940s. It might even be a First World War setting to permit Disney to cast a much younger actor with more appeal to a young toy-buying/demanding audience.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
In reality I think the next Indy will simply be a younger actor in stories set in the a time up until 1940s. It might even be a First World War setting to permit Disney to cast a much younger actor with more appeal to a young toy-buying/demanding audience.

What if *shudder* in a reboot, Indy no longer can fight honest-to-goof Nazis, but has to fight pseudo fantasy-Nazis like Hydra from Captain America?

Also, something people forget with the idea of a reboot acting as a prequel set back in the old trilogy timeline, that basically dooms the new kid inheriting the role to forever mimic Ford's performance, as well as remove any tension since we know Indy lives till he's in his 50's. This is why I'd prefer a full-blast reboot, with an actor who can do Indy a whole new, interesting way with no constraints. THAT'S how the series will live on.

But I'd still like to see a grand finale for Ford's era first, of course...

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
What if *shudder* in a reboot, Indy no longer can fight honest-to-goof Nazis, but has to fight pseudo fantasy-Nazis like Hydra from Captain America?

That would be pretty bad. :(

But it's the state of play in an overly politically correct world that's lost sight of what it was they imagined they were protecting the innocent from.

Raiders was remarkably clever (or lucky?), in spite of its pulpy nature, in presenting a broad-based German enemy. From the sadistic Gestapo agent, through the fervent Hiterlite (but regular army) Dietrich, down to the regular soldiers following orders.

Things fell apart by the time they got to TLC, where there were SS soldiers dressed in regular uniforms, and opting for the pulp convention of applying armbands just so the audience is made fully aware just how bad these guys are!

kongisking said:
Also, something people forget with the idea of a reboot acting as a prequel set back in the old trilogy timeline, that basically dooms the new kid inheriting the role to forever mimic Ford's performance, as well as remove any tension since we know Indy lives till he's in his 50's.

That kind of tension isn't really about whether the character will survive, because they always did. But more about how they will survive? Which is the very spirit of adventure. So as the spiked walls close in on a hero and he's left there in limbo for a week, the children are left to wonder how he will escape.

kongisking said:
This is why I'd prefer a full-blast reboot, with an actor who can do Indy a whole new, interesting way with no constraints. THAT'S how the series will live on.

Anything's possible. It would be like the comic industry erasing a whole era of stories and starting afresh with a retold origin.

Don't know how a full house cleaning of Indy mythos would be accepted. There are certain things which we take for granted as being central to his story: the Ark, Sankara Stones and Grail. Those are major reference points that would be expected with a new actor filling in the untold adventures.

I still think that any actor should play Indy in their own style, while remaining faithful to the character. The way that the various Bond actors have done so - as in Roger Moore and Sean Connery being completely different, yet portraying the same person.

kongisking said:
But I'd still like to see a grand finale for Ford's era first, of course...

Which is where Lucas probably stumbled, that is, if Lucas was ever walking in the direction of writing Indy 5.

Both TLC and KOTCS were those grand finales.

It could have worked much easier if they hadn't delayed, with 4 and 5 being back to back. Though I really don't think Lucas intended there ever to be a #5.

It's that quote from Dean Stanforth about age and time.