Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
The review just came out on gametrailers, but since my mac crashed a few days ago I've had to use my old pc that CAN'T PLAY VIDEOS ON GAMETRAILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! So could somone post the review on Youtube, PLEASE? and could you do it FAST!!!!!!!!!

Good sense of urgency.

DocWhiskey

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1047291p1.html

Good Review.

Well not good for the game's sake, but it seems to speak the truth.

I think I'll wait until this is in the bargain bin and I'll only buy it because I'm too hardcore of an Indyfan.

BTW Nurhachi, that DS version sounds just...strange. God, maybe Indy and Spalko will end up getting married at the end!

The Drifter

DocWhiskey said:
BTW Nurhachi, that DS version sounds just...strange. God, maybe Indy and Spalko will end up getting married at the end!

Meerkat will sniff this sentence out, and will be here to post.

lao che & sons

so how do you get to play Temple of Doom and Last Crusade levels? I almost finished raiders then stopped only to realize that I didn't save any of it. :rolleyes:

WARNIG TO ALL PLEASE READ BELOW!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IT WILL BE A WASTE OF $50 JUST RENT IT;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
lao che & sons said:
so how do you get to play Temple of Doom and Last Crusade levels? I almost finished raiders then stopped only to realize that I didn't save any of it. :rolleyes:

WARNIG TO ALL PLEASE READ BELOW!!!!!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IT WILL BE A WASTE OF $50 JUST RENT IT;)

I'm willing to believe that that might be the case, but do you have any argument for it?

lao che & sons

Attila the Professor said:
I'm willing to believe that that might be the case, but do you have any argument for it?

here's an arguement, the stories of the games are way off as was mentioned by a lego game rep. If you're like me and are into movie accuracy then you may be dissapointed, the game controls suck, at least for the wii, driving is a hassel, and lastly it has froze up on me multiple times, sure the new car chases are actually REALLY fun but definatley not worth it, plus you don't get to play the boulder level or club obi wan(n) I only rented it and I'm glad that's all I did.:p

Oh and I finally got into the temple of doom levels now, they're allright but there was less coverage of the air plane escape than in the original it's literally, he gets in plane plane flys off in cartoony way and withen seconds the plane starts to rattles and he jumps out with willie, and shorty. There was only a raft once and you couldn't really navigate it.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
lao che & sons said:
the game controls suck, at least for the wii, driving is a hassel, and lastly it has froze up on me multiple times
Same on PC.

Vance

Keep in mind, this is REALLY meant to be "Lego Crystal Skull" with abbreviated redos of the original trilogy added as 'extra fun'. Yeah, it's a dissapointing title compared to Lego Indy 1... but, in a way, I suppose that's keeping with the spirit of the new movie too. :)

DocWhiskey

Vance said:
Yeah, it's a dissapointing title compared to Lego Indy 1... but, in a way, I suppose that's keeping with the spirit of the new movie too. :)

Oh snap!

Hahahaha. Very good observation, Vance. :hat:

JP Jones

Could someone list all the things they don't like about the game. The complains I've heard were not that bad at all, like it focuses too much on KotCS. Well that's my favorite movie so I LIKE that aspect. I'm also really excited about the hubs, while most people really dislike them.

UIMJ

JP Jones said:
Could someone list all the things they don't like about the game. The complains I've heard were not that bad at all, like it focuses too much on KotCS. Well that's my favorite movie so I LIKE that aspect. I'm also really excited about the hubs, while most people really dislike them.

There are only 3 true fundamental problems with the game, as most other criticisms are fan-driven stuff. For example, saying the game is awful because of the way that the original trilogy was adapted is not a valid criticism, whereas citing sloppy play control is valid. The game has issues in spots with play control, the character swap feature was supposed to be an evolution in the series but turned out to be a failure, and the hub layout needs work.

The play control is very unresponsive and sometimes has a mind of its own. This is so noticeable in the vehicle levels that those might be ridiculously frustrating for younger players. It?s also very easy to flip over any vehicle in the game, which is made even more frustrating by the awkward pause, or period of time before the vehicle flips back on its wheels.

The character swap feature could also be better. It?s not easy in a group to isolate who you want to switch play control over to, and you wind up spending time bouncing swaps between characters until you hit the one you want. The swaps are in a sequence, but when you are playing an active game the last thing you want to remember is that Marion is two swaps to the left of you. It?s also a problem that you can?t switch to anyone you want on the fly ? you have to go into a hub and hunt them down even after they?ve been unlocked, in order to use them.

I?d say the last big issue with the game is the hub layout. It?s great for roaming around doing stuff, but you have a tendency to stumble upon a story level rather than intentionally going there. It?s also way to easy (and annoying) to run into a bonus level thinking it?s a story level (which you have to play through twice) because nothing is marked, and there is no map.

These are what I'd are the game's primary problems. Overall though it's a fun game, and as a fan you will see that the original trilogy is more of a Lego adaptation rather than a parody that follows the movies. Some of the boss battle visuals and map textures are fantastic too.

James

I wasn't expecting very much from the "hubs", but think they turned out to be surprisingly fun. It's a bit like walking through the entire film- or the film's concept art- since you encounter virtually every major element somewhere in the hub. It's quite a lot of fun to drop down a giant waterfall, hear John Williams' eerie Skull theme, encounter an interdimensional being, then fly off in his ufo.

The downside is that navigating can be a chore, although this is slightly offset by the ability to pilot vehicles. Best of all, each hub has its own form of aircraft (including the aforementioned ufo) which allows you to fly over the entire area and parachute out to your destination. However, each hub is definitely designed to be a playable environment that you thoroughly explore, and doesn't lead you by the hand to the entrance of each new level. (The main menu does allow you to play any level directly, though.)

The biggest change is that you no longer have to replay the story levels 2 or 3 times in order to find all the secrets. Instead, replay is provided in the form of 60 bonus levels. These are divided into two categories: Treasure Mode and Bonus Rooms. The latter is just what it sounds like and is usually a small, unique environment that requires you to solve puzzles and collect Lego studs.

Treasure Mode is more interesting, since it provides an alternate version of each story level. For example, if you replay Doom Town, the houses have all been destroyed and the mannequins are now mutant zombies that attack you. Other times, the alternate mode will focus on a completely different aspect of the level's storyline. For example, the final level takes you straight to the alien throne room, while the alternate mode drops you into the retracting stairwell.

There are two notable additions to KOTCS's storyline. The opening cutscene begins with Stanforth sending Indy and Mac to Mexico, and ends with their subsequent capture by the Russians. There's also a new level where Indy and Mutt travel to Peru by train. The original trilogy appears in a slightly condensed form, although each film is still represented by 5 story levels (only 1 less than in the first Lego Indy).

Overall, it's a fairly large game (over 100 levels, not including the level editor) that doesn't skimp on letting you play in Lego Indy's world. You can pilot a rocket, drive a fridge(!), and tear things up in the jungle cutter. I can't really say I miss the repetitive nature of the old level design*, but I can understand why some purists might. (*SW Complete Saga stills sits unfinished on my shelf, simply because it felt like too much of a chore to unlock everything.)

But I also get the feeling that some reviewers are judging it more because they didn't like KOTCS, rather than as a Lego title. (Dear IGN, I don't recall Indy fighting Donovan's skeleton in LC, but that fact didn't detract from the SNES game.) The developers certainly don't shy away from any of the controversial elements, as the monkeys, prairie dogs, aliens, and fridge are all proudly on display. In fact, it feels just as faithfully- and lovingly- adapted as any of the previous Indy adventures. (And surely, that must stick in the craw of any reviewer who doesn't believe Indy and aliens should ever meet? :p )

I guess it ultimately comes down to whether you like replaying the same level, or would prefer to have something new each time. After 4 or 5 Lego titles, I was thankful for the variety. Its ambition does sometimes exceed its grasp, but I am enjoying it just as much as the Lego Indy and Batman titles.

Vance

JP Jones said:

First, the controls of vehicles are abysmal. The chase scenes wind up being insanely long, accordingly. They flip and spin out at the drop of a LegoHat. (Figure controls are a little less fidgety, but a bit looser than IJ1)

The hub design would be interesting if there was more of an idea of what levels were where. They're aren't really great about showing you where story levels are, causing you to 'make a guess' on what stage you should do next.

Character selection is a pain. You have to run up to the guy you want, after you unlock him, then swap to him. Often just tracking down the guy you need is a pain in the ass. Also, there's an awful lot of rebuying in the game for characters that span more than one act. The 'palette' mode of the previous Lego games was far superior.

JP Jones

Vance said:
First, the controls of vehicles are abysmal. The chase scenes wind up being insanely long, accordingly. They flip and spin out at the drop of a LegoHat. (Figure controls are a little less fidgety, but a bit looser than IJ1)

The hub design would be interesting if there was more of an idea of what levels were where. They're aren't really great about showing you where story levels are, causing you to 'make a guess' on what stage you should do next.

Character selection is a pain. You have to run up to the guy you want, after you unlock him, then swap to him. Often just tracking down the guy you need is a pain in the ass. Also, there's an awful lot of rebuying in the game for characters that span more than one act. The 'palette' mode of the previous Lego games was far superior.
I guess if the controlls are as bad as you say, that's a bad thing, but from all the negative reviews I've heard they just make me want the game more because it changes things up. James put all those negative reviews into a positive one, and I find that helpful. I'm going to GET it!!!!:whip:

Vance

Well, like I said, it's not a bad game at all, but it's not as good as the first, which makes it a bit dissapointing. In that sense it's like Crystal Skull, not a bad movie, but one that didn't hold up to its siblings.