Tarantino

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Don't tell me this is the NDA you're currently operating under:

the-hateful-eight-poster.jpg

I signed an NDA forbidding me from discussing my NDA's...

...which I have now violated.:p

DAMN.gif

kongisking

What's that GIF from, Gonzo? Because, to be honest...it's really disturbingly realistic. Can I ask for it to be removed somehow?

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Not a real snuff film, but removal is, perhaps, worth considering.

Maybe replace it with something more appropriate?

Like this:

giphy.gif

(That's actual footage from 1981 of a man who'd just learned that Harrison Ford was going to be playing Indiana Jones. Moments before he was heard to have uttered the word, "Squee!")

roundshort

Great news about Hateful 8! They are using my old town of Telluride to film it. This is great news and proves QT knows what he is doing! Not even going to mention I plugged Tride to him on a 4th of July pool party once.....

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
I already peeked at the first couple pages and the five or six times he tells the reader "in 70mm SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME"...

Pr3PaHw.png

Stunning, and this isn't even to scale.

But what are Jeff Bridges and Danny Glover doing in this film? :p

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Pr3PaHw.png

Kurt f'ning Russell. Man I wish he would just disappear.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Pr3PaHw.png

Wait'll ya see it...

(if it's Tarantino's last film, it's a good one to go out on. Covers all the bases and has a big time Reservoir Dogs vibe... but you didn't hear that from me.)

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Okay, now this sounds like a great discussion to get into.

Why, good friend. Why?

Look at his filmography. The guy is the posterboy for 'Bad Hollywood' whose whole career has been a bad inside joke. What exactly that joke is, I'm not sure -- and some I'm sure would even argue that it's kinda cool.

What that whole bad-inside-joke-of-a-career (note, I've never seen the Miracle) seems to have built up to perfectly is Death Proof -- where QT did what he does best and create a part for the bad-inside-joke that helps take the given film to another level.

And once the bad-inside-joke is bestowed with a Band Apart role there just ain't nothing left. I'd argue there's even less than nothing left.

What purpose had there been to John Travolta's existence since 1994 except to rebut Vega Brother rumors?

Similarly for Russell. What the heck was he doing in Furious 7 -- other than (shudder) give Toretto a reason to drink something other than a Corona? You'll never find me defending Furioius 7 as a quality film but Russell's character brought the whole film down a very big notch. Is it as bad a Travolta's Michael or Phenomenon? No -- but I wish we were spared.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
A little about the man that Robert Osborne dubbed the Walt Disney Company(ies) top studio star of the 1970?s. Y?all remember he auditioned for the role of Han Solo, but lost to Ford, right?

All of this because he tore a shoulder muscle while playing minor league AA ball for the California Angels with a batting average of .563!?! He missed ?The Show?,

...and perhaps that is the basis for your unsettled approach to one Kurt Vogel Russell (yes, like the villain in Last Crusade)

Joe Brody said:
Look at his filmography. The guy is the poster boy for 'Bad Hollywood'

There is evidence there to validate this?Big Trouble in Little China, Captain Ron, Sky High, Soldier (with his 79 words..yes, I counted ?em-11 are ?Sir?), Tango and Cash, self scripted Escape from L.A?

Joe Brody said:
?whose whole career has been a bad inside joke.

?but it?s here I take exception.

Escape from New York, The Thing , ghost directed Tombstone, ?the best sports movie of all time ~Ebert? Miracle. Backdraft, Golden Globe nominated Silkwood, Emmy nominated Elvis, Tequila Sunrise, The Deadly Tower each with a unique merit on its own, yet all propelled by the quiet cool, slightly older kid who lived next door magic that the aforesaid ?bad-joke? may play to its own demise.

What exactly that joke is, I'm not sure ?and some I'm sure would even argue that it's kinda cool.

I think is some regards, it?s very cool.

What that whole bad-inside-joke-of-a-career (note, I've never seen the Miracle) seems to have built up to perfectly is Death Proof -- where QT did what he does best and create a part for the bad-inside-joke that helps take the given film to another level.

Coincidentally enough, he criticizes the use of Scottish Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken because to Russell, Snake is ?quintessentially American.? That?s moxie.

And once the bad-inside-joke is bestowed with a Band Apart role there just ain't nothing left. I'd argue there's even less than nothing left. FOR EXAMPLE What purpose had there been to John Travolta's existence since 1994 except to rebut Vega Brother rumors?
Ouch. True, but ouch. Maybe he?s just supposed to be the straw-man Scientology uses as a distraction? (That?s not a hair plug joke, I promise) Nevertheless, I won?t contest this. He did make a good Nick Cage, though. LOL

Similarly for Russell. What the heck was he doing in Furious 7 -- other than (shudder) give Toretto a reason to drink something other than a Corona? You'll never find me defending Furioius 7 as a quality film but Russell's character brought the whole film down a very big notch. Is it as bad a Travolta's Michael or Phenomenon? No-
I haven?t seen Furious?from 2-7 so I am unable to offer perspective on his character therein. I hardly think he was brought on for anything besides the ?coolness? factor. But that?s just my assumption, too.

- but I wish we were spared.

Russell is a Libertarian, politically; monogamous in Hollywood ( a praise in its own right); and an FAA licensed pilot much like Ford. I suspect the first two are also part of the reason Hollywood tries to malign him through the campy roles they offer him. What I respect about Russell, is that he, like that slightly ever-cool older boy next door, doesn?t give a F**k.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
A little about the man that Robert Osborne dubbed the Walt Disney Company(ies) top studio star of the 1970’s. Y’all remember he auditioned for the role of Han Solo, but lost to Ford, right?

I did not. Too much Sellect talk here over the years I guess.

Pale Horse said:
...and perhaps that is the basis for your unsettled approach to one Kurt Vogel Russell (yes, like the villain in Last Crusade)

You are so good at the IJ tie-ins.

Pale Horse said:
…but it’s here I take exception.

Escape from New York, The Thing , ghost directed Tombstone, “the best sports movie of all time ~Ebert” Miracle. Backdraft, Golden Globe nominated Silkwood, Emmy nominated Elvis, Tequila Sunrise, The Deadly Tower each with a unique merit on its own, yet all propelled by the quiet cool, slightly older kid who lived next door magic that the aforesaid ‘bad-joke’ may play to its own demise.

Russell's Elvis performance(s) are classic inside jokes (and some of the above cited performances are pretty bad). As for Elvis, my memory is vague but I think I watched that nominated performance as a kid (did I know Russell from Disney?) and it turned me into an Elvis fan. My Dad had been an Elvis fan and to that point I couldn't get it. Up to then my only exposure was Sunday Morning Elvis movie reruns and maybe a (cringeworthy) TV Vegas special -- so I wasn't feeling it, though the Hawaii and Acapulco movies are still favorites.

Pale Horse said:
I think is some regards, it’s very cool.

I respect that.

Pale Horse said:
Coincidentally enough, he criticizes the use of Scottish Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken because to Russell, Snake is ‘quintessentially American.’ That’s moxie.

But understandable.

Pale Horse said:
Ouch. True, but ouch. Maybe he’s just supposed to be the straw-man Scientology uses as a distraction? (That’s not a hair plug joke, I promise) Nevertheless, I won’t contest this. He did make a good Nick Cage, though. LOL

FACE OFF is streaming on Netflix. I prefer KISS OF DEATH though if you want to talk Nic Cage performances.

Pale Horse said:
I haven’t seen Furious…from 2-7 so I am unable to offer perspective on his character therein. I hardly think he was brought on for anything besides the ‘coolness’ factor. But that’s just my assumption, too.

Trust me, '[C]oolness' is a little past his prime. For me, there's a coolness continuum for actors from that age: starting with (post Ghost, pre-death) Patrick Swayze (G*d rest his soul), then (pre-Big Lebowski) Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell, then Alec Baldwin (watch Miami Blues), then someone like Michael Madsen, etc.. Now, back to Death Proof. QT could have gone for the tough and scary talent like Madsen for Stuntman Mike. Madsen would have been effective and scary. Instead, QT goes with someone ironic like Russell and the whole feel of the movie changes. Suddenly there's this creepy twisted quasi realism to the performance because of Russell's stunted career. That's cool. Mr. Nobody in Furious 7? Trust me, it's not cool. It's sad.

Pale Horse said:
What I respect about Russell, is that he, like that slightly ever-cool older boy next door, doesn’t give a F**k.

Well said. I like the way you think and put that. Frankly, I did not know all the background on Russell and you've given me a new appreciation though I still wish he'd disappear from film.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I did not. Too much Sellect talk here over the years I guess.
chuckle, among other things.

Trust me, '[C]oolness' is a little past his prime. For me, there's a coolness continuum for actors from that age: starting with (post Ghost, pre-death) Patrick Swayze (G*d rest his soul), then (pre-Big Lebowski) Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell, then Alec Baldwin (watch Miami Blues), then someone like Michael Madsen, etc..

Does Jeff Goldblum and Michael Keaton fit that bill yet? (or is that another discussion, a poignant one as our children are getting on now...)

Now, back to Death Proof. QT could have gone for the tough and scary talent like Madsen for Stuntman Mike. Madsen would have been effective and scary. Instead, QT goes with someone ironic like Russell and the whole feel of the movie changes. Suddenly there's this creepy twisted quasi realism to the performance because of Russell's stunted career. That's cool. Mr. Nobody in Furious 7? Trust me, it's not cool. It's sad.

You got me thinkin'. The stereo-consensus is that QT makes what wasn't cool/new/fresh again. Looking at his actor bullpen, is there any one, besides maybe Waltz, who has reinvented themselves? That may be rhetoric.

Well said. I like the way you think and put that. Frankly, I did not know all the background on Russell and you've given me a new appreciation though I still wish he'd disappear from film.

Perhaps I am just enamored by him from his Tombstone stand-out. Or maybe too, I've been spared his really bad camp. (I've not seen Big Trouble, Poseidon , Furious...). All in all, he'll never "Thank the Academy"; that's for sure, and I know that. Maybe in the end, his best work in film at this point could be, behind the scenes. Like ...a stuntman.

QfN3uKF.gif

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Does Jeff Goldblum and Michael Keaton fit that bill yet? (or is that another discussion, a poignant one as our children are getting on now...)

That's an excellent question. I didn't consider Goldblum but he could be on his coolness rating but he's got no tough guy credentials, right? And as a Pittsburgh guy I'm a huge Michael Keaton fan but he's no Batman.

Pale Horse said:
You got me thinkin'. The stereo-consensus is that QT makes what wasn't cool/new/fresh again. Looking at his actor bullpen, is there any one, besides maybe Waltz, who has reinvented themselves? That may be rhetoric.

Agreed on Waltz -- but QT is doing more than making something new again in his casting choices. I once heard him explain irony as simply anything you do as a filmmaker that let's the audience know that your making a movie (think of Uma Thurman making the square symbol in Pulp Fiction). Now think of the foot massage speech. I submit that when QT picks an actor like Russell or Travolta he's giving the audience a foot massage. He knows that we know the baggage that a given talent has and he knows how it's going to effect the viewer.

Pale Horse said:

I would submit that you sir selected his finest moment on-screen right there.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
It was that one, or this one:

tumblr_m96tbbl1861qi66kho1_500.gif

[jokingly]With all the cross dressing gender bending that's going on today, that performance wouldn't even raise a (false) eyebrow today.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Great news about Hateful 8! They are using my old town of Telluride to film it. This is great news and proves QT knows what he is doing! Not even going to mention I plugged Tride to him on a 4th of July pool party once.....

Mace Windu thinks his film will be better than that one by JJ Abrams.

AlivePastelInexpectatumpleco.gif

And judging by the trailers of both, I may just have to agree. One will certainly make more money, though.