Temple of Hera, Samos, Greece.

Joosse

templeofhera5.jpg

The temple of Hera was built at the location that the Godess Hera was supposed to have been born on the Greek island of Samos.

templeofhera1.jpg

The temple of Hera is the largest Greek temple ever built. At it?s height, the temple was bigger than the Parthenon, but now only very little of it remains.

dsc00956ny.jpg

A single column of this colossal octastyle dipteral Ionic temple still stands, in the northeast corner.

templeofhera2.jpg

The surviving statues from the Temple have been removed and placed in the museum of Samos City (Vathy). This includes the giant 5 meter high Kouros, wich in turn is the largest surviving Greek statue.

dsc00950j.jpg

Stoo

Wow, Juicy Joosse. I saw a loads of Greek stuff at the "Valley of the Temples" in Agrigento, Sicily but nothing as tall as that column. It's ENORMOUS!:eek: Did you make it to Delphi by any chance?

In a couple of weeks, I'll be at the Greek temples in Paestum, Italy where a scene from the '60s version of "Jason & the Argonauts" was filmed. Supposedly, Ulysses stopped by there on his Odyssey.

Joosse

Yes, Lance. BIG BIG Temple!

;)

Stoo said:
Wow, Juicy Joosse. I saw a loads of Greek stuff at the "Valley of the Temples" in Agrigento, Sicily but nothing as tall as that column. It's ENORMOUS!:eek:

It is quite impressive. Gives you an idea of how big the temple was.

Stoo said:
Did you make it to Delphi by any chance?

Unfortunately no. I wanted to go, but it wasn't achievable. But now I did get to add both Greece and turkay to my list. (y)

Stoo said:
In a couple of weeks, I'll be at the Greek temples in Paestum, Italy where a scene from the '60s version of "Jason & the Argonauts" was filmed.

Excellent!

I hope you'll be garcing us with pictures! :D

Stoo said:
Supposedly, Ulysses stopped by there on his Odyssey.

Well, if his wanderings took him from the Aegean to Italy on his way to Ithaca, then he really was lost... ;)