Indiana Jones 5: A screenplay written by The Raven

Dr. Gonzo

From Indiana Jones 5 General Discussion thread...
Dr. Gonzo said:
I just realized how interesting it would be to start a project on this forum,
a group of Raven patrons write an Indiana Jones sequel,
since we are never going to see one...
and by interesting I mean:
could be... fun, horrific, fan boy garbage, perhaps some potential, a disaster, never ending arguments,
but if the right few minds came together...
it could be... well, back to that word again interesting.

I'm almost tempted...

Now just off the top, I know what a foolish endeavor this is.
It already has "fan boy garbage" and the usual fan fiction crap stigma associated with bad fan scripts attached to it without even doing anything yet... It very well could be a disaster indeed.

But let's explore the possibility of a few of us folks here at this self admitted fan message board who love this character so much coming together to create a frame work for a story...

I only offer this up because indeed we will never see Harrison on screen as Indiana Jones again. So what would be new to do or talk about here at the raven that is indeed Indiana Jones related?

There are plenty of ideas out there from several threads.

How about we begin listing certain elements that we'd like to see in our theoretical film...

The Hitchcockian element has been an idea that was expressed by many to be something they would love to see.

FROM OTHER THREADS:

Udvarnoky said:
In all serious, are we all pretty much agreed that the Van Helsing/haunted castle approach is basically the only option? It can be made to work with the 60s and it's a fairly decent concession to Ford's age.

Toht's Arm said:
That or the Hitcockian/innocent man accused suggestion that comes up often. Either of those two would work, I think. Or maybe combine the two?

Attila the Professor said:
They're definitely the two most common. Other details show up (Indy in a museum! Indy at the movies! Indy on a dig!), but as far as major pieces of a story, I think these are what we've got.

What else from past threads/ideas did people like to see in a theoretical new installment?

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Indiana Jones And The Quest To Remember Where He Left His Slippers

This far-reaching adventure will see Indy explore the entirety of his house.

The climax, with his slippers finally in sight, will see a terrifying encounter in the spider-filled cupboard under the stairs. For there dwells 'the thing under the stairs', a grossly deformed, barely human creature that's been stalking him for the past thirty years..the screaming banshee, Willie Scott!

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
so do I...

Montana Smith said:
Indiana Jones And The Quest To Remember Where He Left His Slippers

This far-reaching adventure will see Indy explore the entirety of his house.

The climax, with his slippers finally in sight, will see a terrifying encounter in the spider-filled cupboard under the stairs. For there dwells 'the thing under the stairs', a grossly deformed, barely human creature that's been stalking him for the past thirty years..the screaming banshee, Willie Scott!

And so it begins.

kongisking

I would love to be a part of this experiment. :D

An idea I've had in my head was to start the film, not with a slam-bang action sequence, but with a character-driven conversation between Indy and Oxley.

I'd also love to see the film start with Indy using a cane.

Actually, I've written down a whole synopsis of my concept for a fifth film. I'd love to share it on here, if you all are interested. Then we can critique it together.

Indy's brother

kongisking said:
I would love to be a part of this experiment. :D

An idea I've had in my head was to start the film, not with a slam-bang action sequence, but with a character-driven conversation between Indy and Oxley.

Actually, I've written down a whole synopsis of my concept for a fifth film. I'd love to share it on here, if you all are interested. Then we can critique it together.

I think the only way this could work here is the by submissions of each interested contributing member's synopsis; with rules in place for length and content, and then a poll added once the thread is closed for submissions.

Then, once every uneducated buffoon casts their vote for what they think would be best for the future of this franchise, then the real nightmare begins. Just like presidential elections here in the U.S.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

Will they both be searching for Indy's slippers?

Indy's brother said:
Then, once every uneducated buffoon casts their vote for what they think would be best for the future of this franchise, then the real nightmare begins. Just like presidential elections here in the U.S.
Will Dr. Gonzo be awarding trophies in the new tradition of Indiana Jones?

award_picl.jpg

Worst Prequel,Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
(Combined Category for 2008):

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull​

Gear

Why do these proposed plans have to project to the future? We're dwelling in story land, Indy V could be set 3 weeks into his conception.

Montana Smith

Gear said:
Why do these proposed plans have to project to the future? We're dwelling in story land, Indy V could be set 3 weeks into his conception.

Based on E.M. Forster's A Womb with a View? The first in a new trilogy, followed by Indiana Jones: Year One; and Indiana Jones: The Rugrat.

Here's an artist's impression of pre-rivalry ickle Indy and ickle Belloq from the third movie:

8.jpg

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
I think the only way this could work here is the by submissions of each interested contributing member's synopsis; with rules in place for length and content, and then a poll added once the thread is closed for submissions.

That could be a way to go...

I was thinking at the beginning here we kind of all spitball ideas, kind of in essence like the famed Raiders Story Conferences. Get all the ideas out there and sort of weed out the good and bad ones... you know just elements at first.

Then after we have a few set pieces that everyone mostly likes, move onto the synopsis/treatment model you're talking about and sort of pick the best put together one...

???

Montana Smith said:
Will Dr. Gonzo be awarding trophies in the new tradition of Indiana Jones?

award_picl.jpg

Indeed Mr. Smiff... indeed.

Man, what the hell have I done?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
If the consensus be that everyone involved takes it seriously then it has a chance of working.

I would suggest that all ideas are spitballed/discussed in this thread and a seperate thread be made for the screenplay.

Then people are just allowed to add sections to screenplay thread provided that involve themselves in the spitball thread.

It would have a nice orgainic feel. If someone feels they have a contribution to make then they can add it - if it's not serious or deviates to much from the spitball section then it can be struck out by the Mods.

In effect this...

Spitball - We have an astronaut, who like to crossdress as a gorillia and has dreams of being a ballet dancer

Result

astro.jpg

Stoo

Personal Request: Snow

Dr. Gonzo said:
What else from past threads/ideas did people like to see in a theoretical new installment?
Fan-fiction isn't really my bag but as long as we're dreaming...

If this Indy 5 reverie follows the events in "Skull" (instead of being a prequel), then it will be the winter of Indy's life...therefore, the story must have SNOW!!!:whip:

Many of us put forth some cool ideas in Indy's brother's long-running thread:
Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

Dr. Gonzo

Nice... very nice... me likey.

Moedred said:
Oh heck yes... Siberian aero-sled chase!
2096405019_a93a3f07a9_o.jpg

Many more here.

Indy's brother said:
Seriously, Moedred...GREAT find. This one looks like a scene from an Indy flick by the way they set up the "shot":

2096405315_4f4e097583_o.jpg

Frickin' Awesome!!!

Moedred said:

Le Saboteur said:
This could come in handy.

mount_kailash_10.jpg

There are several points in the world that can be considered to be the "Axis of the World," but perhaps none more so than Mt. Kailash in Western Tibet. At the Western edge of the Himalayas, it is not one of the higher peaks, but it has the distinction of being considered sacred by four different religions. And as such it has never been climbed.

For the Hindu, it is the seat of Lord Shiva and a place of eternal bliss; to Buddhists it represents a gigantic mandala of Dhyani-Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, as described in the famous Demchog (Chakrasamvara) Tantra; the Jain consider it to be the place where the first Jain Tirthankara, Rishabhadeva, attained liberation from the earth. And for the Bön, it is Tagzig Olmo Lung Ring, the seat of all spiritual power.

Why? It's four faces align with the four cardinal points of the compass; four of the world's major rivers have their headwaters at its base; and its southern face is famously marked by a long vertical cleft punctuated halfway down by a horizontal line of rock strata. This scarring resembles a swastika (yungdrung), a Bön symbol of spiritual strength.

1.1275415908.tarboche-with-mt-kailash.jpg

Stoo said:
Indy's brother inspired me in another thread so here are some more snowy ideas (which may or may not have been mentioned before):

1) AVALANCHE! An avalanche is a standard of the old serials and we haven't seen one in an Indy film yet. I would love to see Indy try to outrun a cascading torrent of snow! (The 1935 version of H. Rider Haggard's "She" has a cliff-side, snow avalanche which ends up revealing the entrance to a tunnel.)

2) CRACKING ICE! Remember the part in "The Lost World" (Jurassic Park II) where Julianne Moore is in a deathly situation on the slowly, cracking glass? For me, that tension-filled scene was the best part of the movie. Imagine a similar situation with Indy on a thin sheet of cracking ice, ready to break at any moment! (Fall into sub-zero temperature water with no way out, you're dead in about 30 secs.:dead:)

3) SWEPT UNDER ICE! Just like in "Damien: Omen II", where a guy falls through a weak spot of a frozen river and gets swept away by the current. His friends can see him under the ice being carried away and follow his path trying to break it with their hockey sticks! Scary stuff.:eek: How could Indy escape from something like this? I don't know but it's one hell of an idea!:whip:

and this thread... http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17857

Great ideas to be mined...
...and yes Stoo, the winter theme -- brilliant. "Indy in the winter of his life" (y)

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Great ideas to be mined...
...and yes Stoo, the winter theme -- brilliant. "Indy in the winter of his life" (y)

Just don't make the love interest Holly, Noelle, Scarlet, Neve, Nicole or even Olivia and we'll be good...

kongisking

This might be heresy, and no offense to our lovely Karen, but I think Marion should die in between KOTCS and our Indy 5. It would provide Indy with excellent characterization, as he will be still grieving, and a subplot of the story is him learning to move on and do what he has to to save the world. Kind of like that "Realm of the Dead" script Deadlock made way, way back.

Dr. Gonzo

kongisking said:
This might be heresy, and no offense to our lovely Karen, but I think Marion should die in between KOTCS and our Indy 5. It would provide Indy with excellent characterization, as he will be still grieving, and a subplot of the story is him learning to move on and do what he has to to save the world. Kind of like that "Realm of the Dead" script Deadlock made way, way back.

Ya know, I'm with you on this...

I'd like to see Indiana in a bad way, really troubled... Marion's death could accomplish that.
Now if we're just laying out cards on the table here (we're spitballing now) maybe we should see it. Or maybe the desired effect could be achieved another way. Indiana Jones the family man does kind of present a problem. This isn't "The Mummy" after all.

One thing is for certain, Mutt is going to have to be addressed one way or another. If he is written out or shows up, I don't know. But I think it would have to be addressed somehow in this "theoretical" film. I personally would prefer minimal/less of that character.

kongisking

Dr. Gonzo said:
Ya know, I'm with you on this...

I'd like to see Indiana in a bad way, really troubled... Marion's death could accomplish that.
Now if we're just laying out cards on the table here (we're spitballing now) maybe we should see it. Or maybe the desired effect could be achieved another way. Indiana Jones the family man does kind of present a problem. This isn't "The Mummy" after all.

One thing is for certain, Mutt is going to have to be addressed one way or another. If he is written out or shows up, I don't know. But I think it would have to be addressed somehow in this "theoretical" film. I personally would prefer minimal/less of that character.

Simplest answer to the problem is to say early on that he's attending college (against his will, of course), and then appears at the end when Indy, finally free of his grief and guilt, reconciles with him once and for all.