A new nemisis for #5 ? Who would you cast?

Dig Site 1138

I vote for a rival archaeologist played by:

j6mv7p.jpg
[/IMG]

Tom "Magnum" Selleck!!!!

(y)

kongisking

I think it would be neat if, for once, the main villain was a really young character, like early 20's or something. That would be a good contrast with the older Indy, and I can see them constantly ribbing each other about their age difference, and the merits of youth versus experience. The villain's demise could be him succumbing to youthful arrogance, thus showing Indy is better PRECISELY because he's older.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I think it would be neat if, for once, the main villain was a really young character, like early 20's or something. That would be a good contrast with the older Indy, and I can see them constantly ribbing each other about their age difference, and the merits of youth versus experience. The villain's demise could be him succumbing to youthful arrogance, thus showing Indy is better PRECISELY because he's older.

And he could wear a black leather jacket, carry a comb in his back pocket, and constantly say things like, "What are you, like eighty?" :p

Dig Site 1138

Montana Smith said:
And he could wear a black leather jacket, carry a comb in his back pocket, and constantly say things like, "What are you, like eighty?" :p

No offense KongisKing, but it did seem a little familiar. ;)

The Drifter

Short Round is after the same McGuffin as Indiana Jones! Will these old friends become new enemies as they traverse the earth in search of the fabled ________?
Watch and find out!

Dig Site 1138

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Short Round is after the same McGuffin as Indiana Jones! Will these old friends become new enemies as they traverse the earth in search of the fabled ________?
Watch and find out!

That. Is. Awesome.

(y)

Darth Vile

Taking into consideration that the villains of Raiders and TOD (and to a lesser degree TLC) had lesser known actors as the antagonists, I'd lean towards the less well known names.

Dig Site 1138

Darth Vile said:
Taking into consideration that the villains of Raiders and TOD (and to a lesser degree TLC) had lesser known actors as the antagonists, I'd lean towards the less well known names.

Fair enough, Darth. But who WOULD you suggest? :whip:

Darth Vile

Dig Site 1138 said:
Fair enough, Darth. But who WOULD you suggest? :whip:

That's the thing really... I'd rather the actors were off my radar... but someone along the lines of (but not)...

Sean Pertwee
Aidan Turner
Dominic West
Kevin McKidd
Benedict Cumberbatch
Rafe Spall
Michael Fassbender etc.

Dig Site 1138

Darth Vile said:
That's the thing really... I'd rather the actors were off my radar... but someone along the lines of (but not)...

Sean Pertwee
Aidan Turner
Dominic West
Kevin McKidd
Benedict Cumberbatch
Rafe Spall
Michael Fassbender etc.

Ooh! I like the idea of Sean Pertwee. Good, solid character actor.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
One also supposes that as Paul Freeman, Wolf Kahler, Vic Tablian, Terry Richards, Roshan Seth, and Kevork Malikyan so ably managed to serve as antagonists of Dr. Jones in the trilogy and later filled various roles in the Young Indiana Jones series that a number of the actors employed there might make the migration to the large screen. Rather a lot more time has passed, of course, but there might be a handful who would work, depending on the role.

Another thought is Canadian actor Colm Feore, who has done a lot of relatively high-profile work, including a lot of Shakespeare (he was a superb Cassius opposite Denzel Washington's serviceable Brutus in <I>Julius Caesar</I>), but is relatively unknown in the States. He'd do quite well as the sort of rogue American military man or bureaucrat I've always felt would do well as an antagonist in a latter-day Jones film. (And he can probably do any accents that might be asked of him, too.)

Hmm: a number of us have bandied about the notion of a Hitchcock influence, any of the "wrong man" scenario films in particular. Anyone out there who could be James Mason-esque?

Last edited:

Dig Site 1138

Attila the Professor said:
One also supposes that as Paul Freeman, Wolf Kahler, Vic Tablian, Terry Richards, Roshan Seth, and Kevork Malikyan so ably managed to serve as antagonists of Dr. Jones in the trilogy and later filled various roles in the Young Indiana Jones series that a number of the actors employed there might make the migration to the large screen. Rather a lot more time has passed, of course, but there might be a handful who would work, depending on the role.

Another thought is Canadian actor Colm Feore, who has done a lot of relatively high-profile work, including a lot of Shakespeare (he was a superb Cassius opposite Denzel Washington's serviceable Brutus in <I>Julius Caesar</I>), but is relatively unknown in the States. He'd do quite well as the sort of rogue American military man or bureaucrat I've always felt would do well as an antagonist in a latter-day Jones film. (And he can probably do any accents that might be asked of him, too.)

Hmm: a number of us have bandied about the notion of a Hitchcock influence, any of the "wrong man" scenario films in particular. Anyone out there who could be James Mason-esque?

Geoffrey Rush and Alan Rickman are both very solid and flexible, but perhaps too recognizable these days?

I think it's hard to think of really good "character" actors, because the best ones sort of blend into the films in which they appear.

I think one of the great strengths of ROTLA is that it HAS that sort of cast. Guys like Ronald Lacey and Wolf Kahler and Paul Freeman and even Vic Tablian and Alfred Molina.

We need some guys who can handle roles like Peter Lorre and Thomas Mitchell and Victor McLaughlin.

Along the lines of the earlier Sean Pertwee suggestion, maybe Sam Troughton?

kongisking

Dig Site 1138 said:
No offense KongisKing, but it did seem a little familiar. ;)

I see that as a plus, in that it could give Mutt an opportunity to see, after listening to this jerk beat on his dad, just how disrespectful he sounded. Nice bit of character development. I happen to really support bringing Mutt back, if only because I'm fascinated by the dramatic possibilities inherent in Indy having to deal with being exactly what his own dad was: an absent father figure.

Mickiana

Yes, Woody Allen. With all that anxiety and depression he could give Indy no end of grief. Or maybe as a colleague instead of what's-his-name from KotCS? He would inject a bit more life into the role.

Montana Smith

And Daniel Craig, who never made it to the trilogy, but appeared in YIJC's Daredevil's of the Desert. Another nod, like Connery in TLC, to Indy's Bond heritage.

Jude Law?

EDIT: I was two minutes late, Dr. Sartorius!

kongisking

Sartorius has the right idea. Gary Oldman is one of the most awesome actors to have ever lived...period. Why? Because he is terrific at playing both super-nasty villains and very compassionate, good-hearted heroes. I can't decide which Gary I like better: Evil Oldman or Good Oldman.

And plus, Harrison and Gary have already been enemies on screen before, in Air Force One. Wouldn't it be great if Indy at one point were to tell Gary Oldman's villain "GET OFF MY (insert vehicle here)!!!" And then Oldman would dryly go, "I've gotten that before."

Dewy9

I'd love to see my all time favorite musical artist, David Bowie, go up against Ford. Bowie does have a Lucas connection- Labyrinth- as the wonderfully creepy Jareth the Goblin King.