God would have given us wings.

Is anybody here afraid of flying? Everytime I go near an aeroplane I start to sweat, tremble and am prone to flatulence. The only time I would feel safe is if Charlton Heston were in the cockpit. Turbulence is the thing that shakes me up, literally. Perhaps the question shouldn't be 'Are you afraid of flying', rather, 'Are you afraid of crashing?'

:dead: :eek:

indy34

I'm not afraid of flying I've spent my entire life around planes. The risk of a plane crashing is extremely small except for those bargain planes in places like Indonesia but it's mostly crappy piloting. A plus for me I live in Australia Qantas has never had a crash.....yet.

No Ticket

I have absolutely no problem with flying. I like it. Although I do realize if something went wrong, your pretty screwed up there.

No Ticket said:
Although I do realize if something went wrong, your pretty screwed up there.

2000_concorde_crash.jpg

Concorde was the world's safest plane...

Indyologist

I had my first trip on a jet about 5 years ago when I went to stay with my uncle in Florida for a week. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had. It was just incredible seeing/feeling it take off and seeing everything below me get smaller and smaller until the earth itself seemed like some tiny world in a child's dream. When we got really high and the clouds in the sky were actually below us, looking like a beautiful, alien kind of sea, it was just breathtaking! And the sunset I saw on the way back, reflecting every color of the rainbow? Gosh...it took my breath away seeing God's amazing creation from such an awesome height. It made realize just how small I really am. It was such a spiritual and humbling experience. I long to experience it again.

Still, I could see how someone could be very afraid on a plane. I thought of people who have died in plane crashes and I can't imagine the pure horror they felt, feeling the plane going out of control and falling from such a dizzying height. I put the thought immediately out of my mind and just enjoyed the flight, though, knowing the odds of that happening were pretty slim. Heck, I'm sure the odds are greater that a person would be killed in a car crash than in a plane accident. Still, incredible experience!

No Ticket

salussolia said:
plane crashes are very rare

planes are safer than cars

Well there is less stuff to run into up there. And most pilots don't drink and fly. And I imagine it takes a bit more to get your pilot's license than your driver's. Plus I doubt many teenagers are flying up there.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I've never been afraid to fly...except one time when a bunch of crazy looking guys got on the plane. I was a bit nervous and kept awake the whole trip. (Chalk it up to post-9/11 jitters)

Little Indy

I am afraid also. I get really nervous. I tell myself all that crap about planes being safer and more likely to die in a car crash. Doesn't work for me. In a car wreck you don't drop out of the sky. But I love to travel, so I put up with all the nerves so I can visit other places. I have had some interesting stories on air flights though. One near miss on the runway, some guy went from a white Australian to a black Jamaican. The captain came on one time after we taxied away from the jet-way and said sorry folks we forgot a piece of equipment!!!. What the hell, I began sweating, and going through all the scenarios. What if they put it in wrong. What if they do a fast job and forget to finish a step. Turned out it was a special wheel chair for one of the travellers.

But I do agree with Indyologist, the view is spectacular(y)

Spikes & Lava

When it comes to vehicles I definitel feel less save driving in heavy traffic or in rainy/snowy conditions, mostly due to worrying about others plowing into me. Flying is so very much more closely regulated as to who gets into the pilot's seat that there is a lot more skill inherent in the few folks guiding your conveyance.

adventure_al

Planes are great, I find them fascinating. I've never felt scared even in smaller planes. But I guess I can understand why you might be scared, it's doesn't seem natural to be all the way up there (y) makes more sense than alot of the irrational phobias out there.

MaxPhactor23

I used to be horrified, but I‘ve come to not only live with it but outright enjoy it. Actually, I loved it so much so that I considered piloting school and hopefully will someday at least be certified. It’s only natural to fear heights. In the air we’re out of our element. But aeronautics is an exact science. Place your confidence there. What to worry about isn’t so much the act of flying itself but rather the piloting and construction of the craft. We put our lives in the hands of engineers on a daily basis - so it’s really no different. Its just such a regular occurrence that we don’t notice. We still cross bridges, we still drive automobiles, we still trust light sockets to ignite our light bulbs and not our homes walls. You can’t live you life in fear. Plane crash’s are so rare that the only reason you hear about them on news broadcast is because, well, they’re just that rare that it‘s somewhat of a spectacle. Think of all the car accidents that happen, and then consider how many actually are deemed important enough to make the news - a fraction. Flying actually is truly the safest way to travel.