2008 Indy Games

peterlally

Something interesting I found: - Click Here

Lego Indiana Jones Release Date a month after KOTCS is released on platforms:

WII/PS3/XBox 360/PS2 & PSP

Notice no mention of any other Indiana Jones release. Hrm...

Finn

Staff member
peterlally said:
Notice no mention of any other Indiana Jones release.
The thing doesn't have a title yet.

It's kind of funny how Indy 4 has jinxed things up. This section of the board used to be bustling ever since the first tidbits of info about the Emperor's Tomb came out. Now, nearly nada.

peterlally

Finn said:
It's kind of funny how Indy 4 has jinxed things up. This section of the board used to be bustling ever since the first tidbits of info about the Emperor's Tomb came out. Now, nearly nada.

I noticed that too, we are all busy with Indy 4 that these sections of the forum seem abandoned.

Good news for PS2 owners as well. I don't play much and I'm not going to buy a system just for Indy, at least not at the prices they want. Now at least I'll be able to play one of them at least.

peterlally

Edward The Head said:
Good news for PS2 owners as well. I don't play much and I'm not going to buy a system just for Indy, at least not at the prices they want. Now at least I'll be able to play one of them at least.

Very true I am still a PS2 owner myself, I expect I will upgrade in the coming months but I'm quite impressed how the PS2 is still well supported over a year after the PS3 release(well a year in March anyway). I dont think the PS3 has been super popular due to its price mainly. I bought a PS2 for Emps Tomb being released and then waited as it came out nearly a year late and then generally disapointed me. Come to think of it i bought a new PC for Infernal Machine...

-INDY-

Blackadder said:
Why did it had to be lego? :p Why dont they make a game like Emperor's Tomb?

Besides Lego there is another game for Indiana Jones 2008. It does not have a name yet. Pictures of the game are available on the net.

I also heard rumors that a PSP game of Indiana Jones was coming, and it was rated PG 18 or something so it couldn't be a Lego Indiana Jones. I think i read this news at pspfanboy.com

They were supposed to release Indiana Jones 2008 with the film or something. It will have the new generation Euphoria technology, so it's supposed to be a very interesting game.

snake_surprise

peterlally said:
I dont think the PS3 has been super popular due to its price mainly.

True, but the main reason is because the games are simply horrible for the most part.

(The best game is the Indy rip-off Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and even that is not persuading enough for me to buy a PS3.).

Bjorn Heimdall

PS3 is going a lot stronger then many believe, has sold as well as the 360 did after it's launch and with GT, MGS4 and FF games not too far off, it will only sell better. I'll get one when MGS4 arrives.

Finn

Staff member
snake_surprise said:
The best game is the Indy rip-off Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and even that is not persuading enough for me to buy a PS3.
Just a curious question, but why on Earth people use term "rip-off" at instances like this? It's not like Dr. Jones had exclusive rights to what we call adventuring.

Haven't played the game (and probably won't, unless it lands on PC), but I've heard it's good.

snake_surprise

Finn said:
Just a curious question, but why on Earth people use term "rip-off" at instances like this? It's not like Dr. Jones had exclusive rights to what we call adventuring.

Rip-off, clone, copy, take your pick...this isn't about 'adventuring', its about packaging, marketing, story, themes, characters, etc...

Obviously adventure games, literature, and films existed before Indy (Quartermain, Kong, etc...), but the way that said media is presented and produced is completely influenced by Indy. There is no way that properties such as Tomb Raider, The Mummy (the new ones), and National Treasure, and now Drake's Fortune would have the aesthetics that they have now without Indy.

To stay specific on the game (as I am sure you would appreciate, Finn), I used the term 'rip-off' to allude to the several similarities to Indy in addition to basic adventuring, based on what I have read about the game in addition to the hour or so I have spent playing it.

I will say, however, that the term 'rip-off' can be easily percieved as negative, but if various games or other properties try to emulate what was successful in the Indy games/series and actually produce a good product, then we all win! This is the case with Drake's Fortune...it is a pretty good game.

It is Indy without Indy.

Finn

Staff member
snake_surprise said:
Rip-off, clone, copy, take your pick...this isn't about 'adventuring', its about packaging, marketing, story, themes, characters, etc...
What little I've heard of the game's plot, it sounds more like a Clive Cussler novel than an Indy movie to me. And the guy's published his first novel in the seventies. Like I said, there's always been adventure in themes and if one guy defines the thing better than the rest doesn't mean everybody else is a copycat.

snake_surprise said:
I will say, however, that the term 'rip-off' can be easily percieved as negative, but if various games or other properties try to emulate what was successful in the Indy games/series and actually produce a good product, then we all win! This is the case with Drake's Fortune...it is a pretty good game.
You know, there's a positive term too for the very thing you describe. It's paying respect.

I understand that the game's recent release date that nicely coincides with KotCS, so that might make one think somebody's trying to ride with the big wave the film creates. But as far as my knowledge of video game development cycles go, I figure this game's been in the making long before there was any definite news about a new Indiana Jones movie.

snake_surprise

Finn said:
What little I've heard of the game's plot, it sounds more like a Clive Cussler novel than an Indy movie to me. And the guy's published his first novel in the seventies. Like I said, there's always been adventure in themes and if one guy defines the thing better than the rest doesn't mean everybody else is a copycat.
You are probably right about the Cussler similarities, but since I am mostly unfamiliar with those books my perception of this game is mostly the similarities I see with Indy. Big deal.

Indy captured this look/spirit/feel at 24 frames p/s and became the status quo for all things media in this genre since 1981.

Finn said:
You know, there's a positive term too for the very thing you describe. It's paying respect.
You are probably right, excuse my imperfect semantics (not being sarcastic).
However, I would debate you all day about how when things in games, other media, etc...are similar, the likelihood of the designers trying to 'pay respect' is dwarfed by making money by an already successful creative model, but I am not going to argue with you at length on your forum.

Finn said:
I understand that the game's recent release date that nicely coincides with KotCS, so that might make one think somebody's trying to ride with the big wave the film creates. But as far as my knowledge of video game development cycles go, I figure this game's been in the making long before there was any definite news about a new Indiana Jones movie.
I agree.
I am more or less referring to the impact that Indy has had on this genre in gaming, for better or for worse, without being seminal to Drake's specifically.

Finn

Staff member
snake_surprise said:
However, I would debate you all day about how when things in games, other media, etc...are similar, the likelihood of the designers trying to 'pay respect' is dwarfed by making money by an already successful creative model, but I am not going to argue with you at length on your forum.
This genre of adventure pulp tends to have some basic principles concerning characters and plot devices (like a masculine hero, pretty girl, exotic locations etc) you can find in every other piece before and after Indy. Drake's Fortune employs these same general devices, yeah, but up to my impression there's also enough differences to talk it as a standalone genre piece. As far as Indy goes, Spielberg and Lucas have themselves openly said that they were just trying to imitate that old matinee serial style.

I'm not trying to say though that every similarly-themed piece of fiction that came after Raiders would simply be "paying respects". The 1985 version of King Solomon's Mines is a good example of something that goes little too far in similarity. Released a year after ToD, it had roughly the same time setting, few other gimmicks here and there that went yours truly go "hey!", a bunch of Krauts as the antagonist and a hero wearing a little too similar headpiece. Worthy enough to be truly called rip-off, if you ask me.

And as far as arguments go, it's not part of my habits to start giving forum-related trouble to someone who's countering me with enough coherence. You, my friend, pass with flying colors on that field.

snake_surprise

Finn said:
And as far as arguments go, it's not part of my habits to start giving forum-related trouble to someone who's countering me with enough coherence. You, my friend, pass with flying colors on that field.

First off, I am not sure how to interpret this comment...

I am not sure if this is meant to be insulting or empowering with the acknowledgment of a good discussion at present.

Finn

Staff member
snake_surprise said:
I am not sure if this is meant to be insulting or empowering with the acknowledgment of a good discussion at present.
Lemme tell you then. It's nothing but a compliment.