River Phoenix vs. Sean Patrick Flannery

G_Knotti

River Phoenix was better by a nudge...SPF was alright!! I'm just glad no one's voting for the kid...sorry kid you s**ked!

N

nikita

Hey Raffey, thanks for welcoming me. Sorry I'm still holding firm on Sean Patrick Flannery. Guess i was never one to follow the band wagon. I didn't want it to come down to this, but Sean Patrick Flannery is just way hotter than River Phoenix. Flannery and Harrison Ford are so similar. I love Harrison too.

N

nikita

A.J. you said it. Great argument. I agree that Phoenix does not have much to be judged on, and that is not always fair when compared to someone who acted the part for years. I guess for me I got more accustomed to Flannery playing the role because he did so for a much longer time. It was just easier envisioning Flannery as young Indy because of the many adventures he went through, and character developments, as compared to Phoenix's one run.

J

J.J. Jones

Phoenix River

What kind of name is River Phoenix anyway????? Duh
Too bad the kid kicked over.......:(

Indy 4

Sean Patrick Flannery all the way!

Sean Patrick Flannery I think is the better between the two Young Indy's. For two main reasons, one as others mentioned River Phoenix was only Young Indy for a about 15 minutes or so. SPF REALLY was the one who built up the Young Indy character, he showed us Young Indy's thoughts, feelings, and changes throughout Indy's young life.
River Phoenix was basically there to show you how Indy got his trademark features. His hat, the scar, and a intense fear of snakes. Also he showed the rift Henry Sr. and Indy use to have. Overall River Phoniex was the foundation for Young Indy, SPF was the one who built on the character's young life from there.

"This should be in a museum!" Young Indy:Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

A

AJ

SPF all the Way! - snakes?? when?

I haven't seen all the episodes cos my tightass video store won't stock them all (waaaahhh!) but in what episode did they go into indy's fear of snakes?
AJ

Y

young indy

Sean! just because i didnt like the fat boy scout with the buggle what were they thinking.

Y

yep_yep _yep

simple stuff

You are all going on about how good they acted, who brang more character to Indy etc, but what about the basics! Sean is so much better looking and, most important, ALIVE. No matter how brillent an actor you are it is really hard to act from 6 feet under.

QueZTone

River Phoenix! I like his name hehe

and he runs funny LOL. Plus he has the exact scream like Harrison. You know in the train when he falls in the train of snakes. He screams. Exactly the same like Harry screamed: "MARION!!" "MARION!" or at other occassions Harry also screamed like that :)

anyway they're both great but i like phoenix more cause he was in the movies ;P

Stoney

River Phoenix was a good actor, and would have become even better if he hadn't died.
The name came from his New Age parents. I think his sister is called Summer Rain, and of course, there's his brother Joaquin (Commodus in Gladiator) who used to go by the name 'Leaf' (I guess because he felt left out of the whole 'back to nature' thing...) Anyway, he gave that up when he started acting 'cos he realised Leaf is a pretty stupid name after all.

westford

*sigh* more Latin... :D:D:D

River Phoenix, but just cos he was in the film. Anyone know why he didn't take the part in the Young Indy series?

West

Magda

westford said:
*sigh* more Latin... :D:D:D

River Phoenix, but just cos he was in the film. Anyone know why he didn't take the part in the Young Indy series?

West

River Phoenix died of a drug overdose in 1993.

westford

Fedora Man said:
River died 1993, so he was still alive when the production of YIJC started. Why didn´t he play Indy there then?

Yeah Ameera, at the Viper Room I know, but I was going by this post...

Stoney

Stoney said:

The name came from his New Age parents. I think his sister is called Summer Rain, and of course, there's his brother Joaquin (Commodus in Gladiator) who used to go by the name 'Leaf'

Just checked up on this:
River's name was inspired by the River of Life in Hermann Hesse's novel Siddharta. He had 3 sisters; Rain Joan of Arc (later Rainbow), Liberty Butterfly, and Summer Joy, and his brother Joaquin. Phoenix wasn't the family's original name; they adopted it in 1977.
River was offered the lead role in the Young Indy series, but turned it down, I think to concentrate on his film career. After Last Crusade he was in I Love You To Death (1990), Dogfight (1991), My Own Private Idaho (1991?), Sneakers (1992), The Thing Called Love, (1993) and Silent Tongue (1993).
He died outside the Viper Club in Hollywood on 31/10/93, after overdosing on heroin and cocaine. He had been halfway through filming Dark Blood, and his estate was sued after his death for $5.5 million for breach of contract due to the use of illegal drugs. Just say no, kids...

Stoney

00Kevin

Indyfan
*BUMP*

Let's give some mondo grail water to this epic thread.

I've gatta go with River Pheonix.....

I don't know what it is, but sean just seems to have dull moments or something, mabey it's the writing, or directing, but I don't think Sean had alot of great moments, he was a good actor, but perhaps in the shadow of HF.........only River has pulled it off

Webley

I really want to say that Sean Patrick Flannery is my favorite and I think he is but in certian episods of YIJ he seems to be such a SALLY. Wheras River Phoenix appears to be much braver playing Indy at an earlier age.

Webley

Re: *BUMP*

Originally posted by 00Kevin I don't think Sean had alot of great moments, he was a good actor, but perhaps in the shadow of HF.........only River has pulled it off
Dont forget the old fart who played Jones in the TV show.