How to beat Von Beck

Btrains

Ok, I've gotten as far as Von Beck's Revenge. The only way I got this far is by using god-mode and unlimited ammo, because I am TERRIBLE, I mean, utterly TERRIBLE at video games. Without codes I've yet to get past level two (i started a second game without codes and have only gotten to the second level, then I die because of various reasons).

But, I have played Von Beck's Revenge a total of 2.5 hours now, and have died a total of 120 times so far. I shut the codes off so the game would automatically reload. I should also say I have NOT gotten past the first turn yet either, I can't get past the third pit, or I'll be on the turn and fall in the pit immediately after the turn (I got that far 3 times).

I'm getting really aggravated and I'm ready to dump this game into the trash.

That's why I'm regressing, trying to beat the game without codes, which I know it won't work, cuz I have such slow reflexes to games and things, and also why I'm deciding to swap meshes and other things to make the best of the other couple dozen levels. I'd have never gotten past the big white croc in Ceylon without the codes, cuz I could never outswim it.

So, does anyone know the secret? Help a kid with slow reflexes to a video game beat it. I'm playing the PC version, as I'm not lucky enough to have a PS2, even though I have played the PS2 version and have found the console even harder then my own adjusted keyboard and mouse commands.

Btrains

I can't get a girl, so I gave up looking and found video games.

Anyone with any REAL help would be greatly appreciated!

nOOb

about all you can do is try switching the level folders around so you can skip the von beck level.

if emperors tomb seems too fast-paced, just play infernal machine. its slower but still has lots of action. and quicksaves(yippee!)

IndyBlues

Btrains, that IS a really tough level. The only way to get past it is to either find out how to skip it, or parcatice and more practice. There are NO tricks to that level, that I have found. That level is tough. Maybe try taking a break for awhile, and do soemthing else. Usually when you go back to try, it gets a little easier, because you won't be so aggravated. Trust me, and let me know how you make out.

Tom Jones

Btrains said:
I can't get a girl, so I gave up looking and found video games.
Well now. I think 00 Kev's got?a point.

You could always find a pretty good-looking girl in: Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. :D

00Kevin

Indyfan
I know what ya mean Tom, I got DoA 3 myself...can't wait for DoA online...but that's another story

well btrains, no offense, it just seemed like you spent way too much time on that 1 level and didn't get anything done!

now, you can check out the walkthrough:

http://www.theindyexperience.com/Ihint.shtml

but you'll probubly still end up wasting hours.....if you want, give it a few more shots, then put it down....and if you advance, refer to that walkthrough, that level gets alot more annoying......

I suggest that you go with something else, stay away from video games.....

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah, come on guys...even if you are right, that getting a girl would be better than spending time on the game, I must sympathize. After all, this is Von Beck's Revenge we're talking about. And once he's done, then the girl. So, for your sake, I hope you finish soon.

00Kevin

Indyfan
hey, I said give it a few more shots...I just don't want to see someone waste hours and hours on this when they could be out doing something

Btrains

00Kevin,

Not to worry! This game is the most I've done in a while.

I've died 170 times so far! I can't wait to see the Netherworld, I'll be there thousands of times I bet!

By the way, my game is set on "Easy" difficulty level.

Btrains

Well, I reached my self set limit of 200 deaths in that level, so I give up, and now I have removed it from the mission list so now I can finish the rest of the game instead of wasting hours upon hours on this one lousy level, which you get really nothing out of.

Randy_Flagg

I admire you, Btrains-- I removed Von Beck's Revenge from the mission list after about seven failed attempts. Now, before you all start yelling at me and calling me a quitter, my logic is this-- I buy a game to have fun. The moment the game stops being fun is the moment I feel like I wasted my money. Von Beck's Revenge stopped being fun at about the third attempt, but I perservered through another four attempts and then said "screw it" (or words the that effect), and removed it.

nOOb

lol it took me about 25 tries and i finally beat the thing. now whenever i replay it takes me 1-2 tries. the trick is to tap the jump and whip button quickly in those parts where you whip across a pit and the ground falls in just ahead of where you land.

Yolegoman

Btrains, may I suggest that you turn off the artificial intelligence: That way, you don't have to fight the guys and you can spend your time enjoying the game.

You obviously know where the missionlist.txt file is, so I will abbreviate:

indy\vars.cfg open that in notepad, and if you havne't installed the patch, change aiDisabled=false to true. If you have installed the patch, put this line at the very top of the page: aiDisabled=true and save it. Now load your game.

Note: Some levels (The whole Temple of Kong Tien level, the second two levels in Emperor's Tomb itself, and one the second to last level in Peng Lai Mountain) are unbeatable with aidisabled because it won't triger checkpoints.

It won't help on Von Becky, but it is sometimes good on the rest of the levels, allowing you to spend your time exploring and having fun, instead of getting the pickles beat out of you.

Hope you have better luck in the future with this (imo) great game!

Clintwood

I've gave up "Von Beck's Revenge"...

Now I hear there's a possibility to skip the level and continue on the next level? How do I do that? :confused:

Is there some file to remove or rename? I would really appreciate if someone can help me, cause I really hate the Von Beck level! :mad:

War Eagle

Shame shame on you "intrepid" archaeologists who "give up" and try to skip to the next round. Henry Sr would be so ashamed. ;)

Meanwhile I'm mysteriously stuck on the next level cuz I can't seem to grab this last lantern, and its instant death. :(