What is Indy best at? Gun, Whip or Fists?

Pandora

I think he's good with everything. I define good as helping you survive. And he always survived.

He is in fact an expert in cracking the whip because this is a really extraordinary weapon ant not many people know how to handle it.

In one of the novels a read some weeks ago (IJ and the Dinosaur Eggs) his friend Granger says that Indy was quite a poor shooter.

He is good with his fists but his best weapon to me is: the whip.

Grimdiana Bones

Pandora said:
In one of the novels a read some weeks ago (IJ and the Dinosaur Eggs) his friend Granger says that Indy was quite a poor shooter.

poor shooter, pssh! He killed like 3 nazis with one bullet from a luger! ;)

Pandora

Probably this was a lucky shot.

So Indy is not a poor shooter, he's avarage. He mostly hits the aim put not with a professional technique.

Johan

I think he is medeocre at all three, but because he can do all three it works to his advantage.
Indy wouldnt stand a chance at the whip compared to the guys on the movie "The Rundown"
So that's when he would use his gun.

Grimdiana Bones

Indy Parise said:
ahem Walther P38 not luger and it was point blank range.

it may have been point blank, but he aimed it so precisely as to puncture a major organ of all three, but also to continue its path onto the next one! :)

IAdventurer01

Grimdiana Bones said:
it may have been point blank, but he aimed it so precisely as to puncture a major organ of all three, but also to continue its path onto the next one! :)
It was luck if you ask me.

I'd have to say whip, mostly because it is a talent few possess.

Canyon

Pandora said:

Hi Pandora. Good to see you here! :D

I like the character of Granger, but not when he's ripping into Indy's shooting. :mad:

I like it when Indy replies with: "Would you quit picking on my shooting. It may not be fancy, but it gets the job done!"

Way to go, Indy! :whip:

Paden

Echoing some of the sentiments already expressed, I'd have to say that Indiana's greatest proficiency is with the bullwhip, a weapon that most are not familiar, much less skilled, with.

Indy's brother

Gun, he misses. Fists, he's hit or miss. Whip? Seriously, who is better with the whip on the bigscreen? This needs to be a poll. Which is more enjoyable to watch? For me it's a toss-up between the three. I just love watching Indy/Ford kick ass.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Gun, he misses. Fists, he's hit or miss. Whip? Seriously, who is better with the whip on the bigscreen? This needs to be a poll. Which is more enjoyable to watch? For me it's a toss-up between the three. I just love watching Indy/Ford kick ass.

The whip is the more unique homage, as a brutal weapon:

Richard_Alexander--Zorro_Rides_Again_2.jpg

And as a fun multi-purpose tool to disarm:

PDVD_002-3.jpg

PDVD_003-1.jpg

and, courtesy of Stoo, to travel:

JungleJim_Comparison.jpg

Without the whip Indy's just another man in a hat with a gun. And there were always plenty of those.

HJTHX1138

Ehh . . .

He kinda has to be good at everything though. If Indy's "best" at anything it's ingenuity under pressure and reflexes. He still has to think it through, sometimes it seems like he doesn't or he messes up and he ends up getting himself in more trouble, but the fact he can develop plans very quickly makes his ingenuity his most useful skill.

Think of one fight he finished just blindly punching, whipping or shooting things . . . oh, wait the swordsman :gun:

If I did have to answer this question as asked, I'd say the whip or maybe the fists. He can carry his own weight with the darn thing, that's hard.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Funny, I thought he was bad at all of it...just lucky!

Ain't that the truth. He's a walking, running, riding, swinging distaster area. Everywhere he goes there's chaos. Indy might talk big in the classroom, but he?s no practical archaeologist. He?s a treasure hunter and tomb robber who?s more interested in the reward that preserving an historical site.

Greed and pride make him pig-headed, and that gets him into trouble. The gun, whip and fists are there, but it's wits and jammy luck that finally get him through.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Though he was a damn good shot in Raiders...

A lucky headshot. ;)

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well, two...one under fire/in the fire and another moving target in the ammo truck.

It's significant that he's trained himself to finish situations quickly, before they turn bad and he has to draw on his luck. As with dispatching that poser, the Cairo Swordsman.

And when he has no gun, things do go badly, as in Temple of Doom.

oki9Sedo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Funny, I thought he was bad at all of it...just lucky!

Though he was a damn good shot in Raiders...

He's definitely a good fighter, and naturally so. He's not trained, but he can hold his own against guys much bigger than him.