TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 06-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
Drones33
IndyFan

Whats the furthest youve been from home, what`s the most Indy thing you`ve done?

It`s the mileage...

Further to TempleRunner`s recent post suggesting that the spirit of Indy is more than just a screen accurate hat and jacket, and Finn`s comment about being an "Outdoorsman", I was thinking about my own love of travel and adventure, inspired at least in part by the influence Indy has had on my life, and these questions occurred to me:

What`s the furthest youve ever been from home?
What`s the most Indy thing you`ve ever done?

For me, its my trip to Alaska, ( went rock climbing just outside Skagway, that was pretty amazing,) and a couple of years ago wife and I travelled through Thailand into Cambodia, visited Ankor Wat. Incredible experience.
What about you guys...?

Ankor Wat

Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Stoo
IndyFan

Drones,

There is a similar thread about this:
Farthest Away You've Been from Home?

Great pics! Angkor is on my hit-list so I envy you! One of my best friends went there during his honeymoon and loved it. Must have been a great adventure for you.

---
Some Ravenheads travel.
Some Ravenheads don't.
Some Ravenheads just play video games.
Some Ravenheads just go to Disney parks.
Some Ravenheads actually travel around the globe!
Some Ravenheads actually travel around the globe but don't post about it (like a certain someone who recently encountered tigers in India)!

For me, the furthest from home (Montreal) was to Egypt in 2009 & the most Indy-ish thing was crawling through the tight, sloped, claustrophobic tunnels inside Khafren's pyramid. (The 2nd largest & the one worth visiting for Indy fans.)

P.S. An equally cool, Indy-ish thing happened in Dominican Republic (1992) but it was not as far from home as Egypt...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
There is a similar thread about this:
Farthest Away You've Been from Home?

He even posted in that thread already. Almost the same thing sans pictures.

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Some Ravenheads actually travel around the globe but don't post about it (like a certain someone who recently encountered tigers in India)!

That guy sounds like a jerk.

Disney Parks is cool.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
He even posted in that thread already. Almost the same thing sans pictures.

I`d forgotten about that post. Well remembered.

Quote:
For me, the furthest from home (Montreal) was to Egypt in 2009 & the most Indy-ish thing was crawling through the tight, sloped, claustrophobic tunnels inside Khafren's pyramid. (The 2nd largest & the one worth visiting for Indy fans.)

Great photo Stoo, love the pith helmet

Last edited by Drones33 : 06-02-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #5
doppelganger
IndyFan

Furthest from home I have been is North Carolina with my then girlfriend ( when we lived in kent UK). The most indy like thing ive done during my formative years (about 18ish I think). When I lived on the isle of sheppey a cliff edge dropped revealing a small tunnel system. So mysrlf and a couple fruends decided to gear up and go gor a look. Incredibly stupid and dangerous but as we all know when you are 18 you are indestructable.

However after getting torches and stuff for the expedition we entered the tunnel. It turned out only be about 15' deep. Never mind..... but the next day another land slip covered it over..... NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!!!

Oh and my then girlfriend is no longer my girlfriend.....

SHE's MY WIFE... (holds out fist for fist bump).
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Drones33
IndyFan

It may have only been 15` deep, but you had the adventure AND got the girl.
Sounds very Indy to me
Old 06-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
That guy sounds like a jerk.
A total schmuck! On 2 separate occasions, I spent alcohol-filled nights with him in Oakland at 2 'exotic atmosphere' bars and, yes, the guy is a bona-fide douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Great photo Stoo, love the pith helmet
Thanks, Drones. (Stay tuned to the "Indy Gear and Props" section for my latest pith helmet purchase.)

Correction: I'm back & forth between 2 homes. The Cairo trip wasn't my farthest because that was from my "new home" in Neuchâtel, Switzerland (and not my "real home" in Montreal, Canada) so my farthest actual travel distance is from Neuchâtel to San Francisco (which I've endured twice now)....13 hours by direct flight.

Without a doubt, others have experienced much farther distances (Oakland to India, Norway to Indonesia, etc.)

---
To some, San Francisco might be just another American city but it's truly exciting to visit with lots of interesting history and a vibrant example of East Meets West. Been there 3 times and want to go back again. I met up with fellow Ravenheads, one of them being the self-proclaimed "jerk" (who is not a jerk).
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Glenville86
IndyFan

From the US to Korea for a year. Took forever to get there. East Coast to West Coast with stops in Alaska and Japan.

From the US to Germany many times. Travel within Europe.

From the US to the Middle East twice for a year each. First trip, military plane blew an engine and had to make an emergency landing in Spain until it was fixed.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
Drones33
IndyFan

Utah and Last Crusade film locations

Just returned home after a visit to the States. Spent 3 weeks travelling around Wyoming and Utah, visited (among other places) Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Canyonlands and Arches National parks. One of the highlights for me was a visit to Balanced Rock, as used in the opening shot from Last Crusade.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Indy86
IndyFan

Travels I did: France (snowboarding), Spain (as a kid), Tunesia, Egypt (been to the Valley of the Kings and the hottest place I've ever been) and Vietnam. Can't believe Vietnam has been my last trip and it's been four years ago already. The most Indy thing I ever did was I think Valley of the Kings but I didn't really liked Egypt at the time as I always thought I would. Than again I was only 16 at the time. Vietnam was 4 years ago at the age of 26. The Indy thing I did there was eating a duck embryo. Still sometimes it eaches and I know I just have to go for it. Guess I'm not much of a solo traveller. Even if it's just to take that step. Can't believe now I once flew to Ho Chi Minh by myself. I wasn't alone there, though.
Indy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Joosse
IndyFan

Furthest I have been? New Zealand. Which is on the other side of the globe from where I live, the Netherlands.

And as I went there via Tokio and returned home by way of San Francisco, I did indeed go around the world.

Most Indy thing I have done? Well, apart from the fact that I am a teacher, part time...

There are a lot of things to choose from.

-Jumping out of an aeroplane...
-Participating in experimental archeology...
-Meeting Sallah and Short-Round...
-Exploring ruined temples and secret passages in Greece...
-Obtaining an ancient Roman ring and smuggling it out of Turkey...
-Spending an evening at the Lapin Agile in Paris...
-Exploring ancient ruins in Egypt by day and talking about politics with the locals by night...

I don't know. I guess the thing that comes to mind right now is when I was in the valley of the kings wearing my fedora, the tumb of king Tuth Ank Amen was sealed off to the public because an Egyptian camera crew was filming there.

I was about to walk away when one of the crew shouted out:

"But do let that guy that looks like Indiana Jones in. He'll look great in the shot!"
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Glenville86
IndyFan

Military service has taken me to Korea, Saudi Arabia, England, Germany, Japan, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain, France.

Toured some sites and places when I had the chance.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
What`s the most Indy thing you've ever done?

I knew an arsehole who thought trekking through a montane rainforest at night during a torrential downpour was a good idea.

DSC03301

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 04-23-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
JasonMa
IndyFan

The furthest I've ever been from home is Barcelona, but I didn't do anything particularly Indy like on that trip.

The most-Indy like thing is either going to the British Museum in London or my hike up to Waimoku Falls on Maui. A trip through a bamboo forest to a 400 foot waterfall felt Indy-like.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote