TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #101
curmudgeon
IndyFan

https://youtu.be/BBNc7Pz35OA

The new ad they released as ticket pre-orders went on sale is really pushing the Vader angle.
curmudgeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #102
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
https://youtu.be/BBNc7Pz35OA

The new ad they released as ticket pre-orders went on sale is really pushing the Vader angle.
The talk all along has been that Vader isn't in this film a lot.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #103
Moedred
Administrator

http://variety.com/2016/film/feature...edy-1201923806
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/22...ar-wars-movies
Sifting interviews for Indy news, none yet...
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #104
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Maybe when the press conference and premiere roll around. If not, Marshall will probably be doing the rounds for "Assassin's Creed" in the next few weeks.
curmudgeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #105
Moedred
Administrator

Post-production wrapped this week, November 28. Hope the ending works...
Quote:
Tony Gilroy, who was brought in to rewrite and help oversee reshoots for the Gareth Edwards-directed Star Wars film, out Dec. 16, will pocket north of $5 million for his efforts, say sources. He first was brought in to help write dialogue and scenes for Rogue’s reshoots and was being paid $200,000 a week, according to several sources. That figure is fairly normal for a top-tier writer on a big-budget studio film. But as the workload (and the reshoots) expanded, so did Gilroy's time and paycheck.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #106
Moedred
Administrator

http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-early-buzz
No reviews yet, embargo lifts tomorrow.
Word is half(!) the trailer footage didn't make the final cut.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #107
roundshort
IndyFan

saw it at Disney. It is good B+ The story jumps too much at first and too many characters. But quailty stuff. Fan boys will be happy. Lots fo toys to sell
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #108
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I had no problem with the start as they focused on different planets pulling together the different threads of the story to get to Jedha. Overall I thought it was very good. Well worth watching.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #109
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Early reviews are very positive and so far people seem to be reacting with great enthusiasm. I'm excited!
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #110
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Even though there's no opening crawl, John Williams isn't doing the score and the overall premise is pretty much what someone writing fan fiction online would come up with(and without Lucas's involvment) I say this the closest any Star Wars film has gotten since 1983 with capturing the same sense of excitement and quality on the level of original trilogy. I won't go as far and say it deserves a Best Picture nomination or anything, but as a blockbuster it's really fun and will, if nothing else, bring goodwill towards the Star Wars brand which is always a good thing.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #111
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Even though there's no opening crawl, John Williams isn't doing the score and the overall premise is pretty much what someone writing fan fiction online would come up with(and without Lucas's involvment) I say this the closest any Star Wars film has gotten since 1983 with capturing the same sense of excitement and quality on the level of original trilogy. I won't go as far and say it deserves a Best Picture nomination or anything, but as a blockbuster it's really fun and will, if nothing else, bring goodwill towards the Star Wars brand which is always a good thing.
Much like nothing will ever touch Raiders, those films are engrained on our minds and are cinema classics, it's going to be nigh on impossible for a sequel or prequel to top them. But I agree it's a good film.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #112
TheFedora
IndyFan

Really enjoyed the film...I think it is certainly better then the Force Awakens, although I am aware of how much that is a matter of opinion. But really, am still in shock and awe.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #113
Goodsport
IndyFan

While Rogue One: A Star War Story took place just before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, the following took place just after it.

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #114
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
saw it at Disney. It is good B+ The story jumps too much at first and too many characters. But quailty stuff. Fan boys will be happy. Lots fo toys to sell

That was my assessment as well. I thought it jumped around from planet to planet to much early on, without fully introducing and developing the characters. That being said I loved the movie, though I do prefer "The Force Awakens." It certainly shows a grittier more realistic approach to combat than we have seen in any previous Star Wars film.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #115
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Is this a spoiler thread? I LOVED the film, it was really good, a lot of fun, tons of cool easter eggs and homages. Much better film than TFA!
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #116
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I liked it a lot. It was the gritty, dark Star Wars film I've been wanting for a long time.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #117
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
This film was the SW film I was looking for all this time- this was the kind of thing I expected from Ep 3 and didn't get. It was also the quality I wanted in TFA but didn't get.

I seriously can't express my love for this film. But I did make a Jyn Erso cosplay so that counts.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #118
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
Is this a spoiler thread? I LOVED the film, it was really good, a lot of fun, tons of cool easter eggs and homages. Much better film than TFA!

We don't really do spoiler or non-spoiler threads save for new Indy films, but as it just came out, and many haven't seen it yet, discretion is appropriate, whether that's spoiler tags or talking around the subject.

As for me? Best World War II commando film (or homage to/pastiche of same) since Inglourious Basterds.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 AM   #119
JollyGreenSlugg
IndyFan

It's a shame Bail Organa was foolish enough to return to Alderaan given his importance to the Rebel Alliance and that he knew the Death Star could destroy a planet and as the home of a known Rebel leader, Alderaan would be an obvious target.
JollyGreenSlugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #120
roundshort
IndyFan

SPOLIER for anyone reading this thread but had nto seen the movie.....

The last scene - if Vader knew what was going on (and being a bad ass jedi we have to belive he knew the urgency of the situation) why didn't he just nuke everyone in passage way? Instead of the cutsiey killing them one by one - and giving the rebels enough time to make the most drawn out hand off ever? TO me this is as big of a plot hole as why the little people didnt take they giant eagles to drop off the ring in the hobbit movies....
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #121
Pale Horse

Quote:
TO me this is as big of a plot hole as why the little people didnt take they giant eagles to drop off the ring in the hobbit movies....

Well, we are talking about a man who hates sand. You know, it's coarse. Gets everywhere. Perhaps he was thinking about other things at the time.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #122
Joe Brody
IndyFan

roundshort, I think it you listen to the stormtrooper back-chattering in Rogue One you'd understand that Vader is an older model whose processor needs to be warm up after a long stint in a Bacta Tank.

It's likely the same reason why Vader's settings weren't right in his TIE fighter in New Hope -- he still didn't have his equilibrium back, which I would argue Vader didn't get back until Bespin in Empire.

To round short's point and speaking of New Hope, my big problem with Imperial technology is how does a ship get a name like 'Star Destroyer' when it can't even blow up a tiny blockade runner?

Seriously, as to Rogue One, I've never been a big Star Wars fan -- but I have always been a fan of Star Wars production art, going back to the original 'Star Wars Sketchbook' that came out shortly after New Hope. My copy is battered and dog-eared but it is one of my most prized possessions from my childhood. Without even really cracking a copy, I bought my son 'The Art of Rogue One' for Christmas. I have been very impressed with the quality of the art and believe that some part of the success of the film can be attributed to the early artwork to help the identity of the picture. If you get a chance, I recommend it to all.

Last edited by Joe Brody : 12-26-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #123
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
SPOLIER for anyone reading this thread but had nto seen the movie.....

The last scene - if Vader knew what was going on (and being a bad ass jedi we have to belive he knew the urgency of the situation) why didn't he just nuke everyone in passage way? Instead of the cutsiey killing them one by one - and giving the rebels enough time to make the most drawn out hand off ever? TO me this is as big of a plot hole as why the little people didnt take they giant eagles to drop off the ring in the hobbit movies....

Vader doesn't carry a hand-held nuke. Vader only carries a lightsaber. So that's what he used.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #124
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Vader doesn't carry a hand-held nuke. Vader only carries a lightsaber. So that's what he used.
Spoiler below

I guess he means why didn't they target the rebel flag ship that had the transmission, instead of boarding it and risking people escaping with the plans. I am unsure if the first Death Star is supposed to be capable of targeting a capital ship (It targets cities in Rogue One so maybe its possible), plus its recharge time is much longer than the Death Start II, which could fire again quite quickly. After firing on Scarif, it may have needed time to recharge. Perhaps Tarkin would have been better off firing on the rebel flagship instead of Scarif. I didn't think about it until after the movie, but the Empire must have still had personnel on Scarif, showing their disregard for their own men.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #125
Moedred
Administrator

http://scriptshadow.net/what-the-f-i...ue-one-trailer
http://scriptshadow.net/film-review-rogue-one
Heavy critiquing and damage assessment. From August:
Quote:
Gareth Edwards knows how to make a movie look good. That’s never been in question. What’s still up in the air is whether he knows how to tell a story.

This is the director’s choice to mute characters, to keep all of their line-readings subdued, and it’s what doomed directors like M. Night.