Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Dr.Jonesy

One of the first reviews of the 'Raiders' Blu Ray restoration;

Raiders of the Lost Ark appears in an aspect ratio of approximately 2.35:1 on this Blu-ray Disc. Across the board, the movie looked very good.

Sharpness was strong. The only examples of softness resulted from the source, as some shots ? like a few during the opening or at Marion?s bar ? have always been a smidgen fuzzy. Otherwise, the film delivered tight, concise visuals. I noticed no issues with jagged edges or shimmering, and edge haloes weren?t a factor. Print flaws also remained absent. Blacks were dense and deep, and shadows appeared nicely delineated and concise.

Did the image suffer from the use of digital noise reduction? I found that hard to say, but I suspected that if DNR got applied, it was done so in a mild manner. Grain was light most of the time and only became prominent during opticals. Perhaps some DNR lessened grain in other shots, but I don?t see negative effects, as detail remained strong, and elements that often get zapped by DNR stayed intact. For instance, the smoke in Marion?s bar showed up as it should.

Colors looked solid, though I wondered if some changes were made to the palette. The film looked a bit more arid than I expected, and a few shots seemed a little bluer than I recalled as well. On one hand, it?s possible that alterations to the color scheme occurred. On the other hand, it?s also possible that prior representations of the film ? those that I?ve watched for the last 28 years on home video ? were ?off?and the Blu-ray finally got the hues right.

I can?t say what the palette as originally intended should be, as I?ve not seen the movie anywhere other than home video since 1983. (Because both come from the same era, I wouldn?t use the 2012 IMAX reissue as a guide to the ?correct colors? ? it seems likely that it and the Blu-ray share the same hues.) All I can state is that the colors looked a little different to me ? not radically altered, but not the same, either.

Despite some potential concerns with colors and DNR, I still felt quite pleased with the image. This isn?t a case where I?m ignoring the visuals as originally intended and saying ?source be damned ? it looks good and that?s all that matters?. In this case, I?m saying that while I think some changes may have occurred, I can?t be certain, and I?m not going to fault the image without greater clarity. In addition, I feel that any potential alterations remain minor; nothing glaring or major affected the presentation. This still looked like the Raiders I?ve loved for 31 years.

Let me provide two additional notes related to the transfer. First, many will note that the Blu-ray?s case refers to this film as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Personally, I refuse to use that alteration of the original title, and I?m happy to report that the folks at Lucasfilm didn?t tamper with the credits on this Blu-ray?s transfer; it still comes billed just as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One bit of digital noodling does occur, however, during the scene in which Indy falls among all those snakes. In the original movie, one could easily see Ford?s reflection in the barrier that kept him from one of the critters. The transfer uses technology to erase that impression. It does so smoothly and works well.

While not quite on a par with modern mixes, the DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack of Raiders of the Lost Ark seemed splendid for its age. The movie employed an almost shockingly active soundfield that presented a great deal of auditory information. The score enjoyed solid stereo imaging, and the track offered much localized material. The mix featured a lot of different auditory pieces that were placed appropriately in the environment.

These included a lot of elements from the rear speakers, and quite a lot of this showed stereo surround information. For example, during the runway fight, a plane zoomed distinctly from left to right in the rear, and the shots on the dock as Indy and Marion prepare to board the boat also featured unique elements in the two back speakers. I was surprised to get so much stereo information from the rear. The surrounds added a great deal of information to the track, and they helped make it an engulfing affair.

Audio quality slightly showed it age but usually seemed very positive. The dialogue occasionally was a little hollow, and I noticed periodic examples of awkward looping. Nonetheless, the lines betrayed no signs of edginess, and they mostly sounded natural and distinct.

John Williams? rousing score came across as bright and dynamic, with great definition for the various parts. Effects also showed a bit of thinness, but not often. The various elements mostly seemed accurate and concise, and those pieces presented surprisingly vivid low-end. The bass of Raiders packed a real punch and helped bring a lot of life to the mix.

Actually, bass response might?ve been a bit too strong, as low-end occasionally threatened to become overwhelming. It seemed like every punch and gunshot and eyelash flutter came with a loud ?thud?. This stayed within the realm of acceptability but could lean toward excessiveness. Even with that minor gripe, however, I still really liked this track and thought it added to the experience.

How did this Blu-ray compare with the Special Edition DVD from 2008? Audio sounded more robust and full; the soundscape also appeared more active and involving. Visuals came across as tighter, better defined and more natural. Prior DVDs always looked a bit ?off? to me, but this one was much more accurate.

Because it comes as part of a five-disc/four-movie collection, almost no extras show up on the Raiders platter itself. We get both a teaser and a trailer from 1981 as well as a reissue trailer. The last one doesn?t provide a date of re-release, but I?m guessing this was from 1983; if I recall correctly, the movie hit theaters again in the spring of that year.

Note that I didn?t give this disc a grade for bonus materials because of its place in the ?Complete Adventures? package. When I review the ?Bonus Features? platter, I?ll offer an overall supplements grade.

More than 30 years after its debut, Raiders of the Lost Ark remains one of the greatest movies ever made. It absolutely defines the action adventure and presents a virtually perfect piece of excitement. The Blu-ray boasts excellent picture and audio. Here we get a top-notch rendition of a classic film. Without a doubt, Raiders has never looked or sounded better.

Note that as of September 2012, you can purchase Raiders of the Lost Ark solely as part of this ?Complete Adventures? set that also includes 1984?s Temple of Doom, 1989?s Last Crusade, 2008?s Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and a disc with bonus materials.

http://www.dvdmg.com/raidersofthelostarkbr.shtml

WeAreGoingToDie

Looks like the Target lithographs WILL be happening, and the price is going to be $69.99:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/604703-target-ad-09-16-09-22-12-a.html

Target Exclusive 20 minutes of bonus footage and slipcover: Katy Perry : Part of Me: Blu-ray+Dvd+Digital $19.99- 3d Combo Pack - $27.99

Target exclusive 5 lithographs: Indiana Jones Complete Box Set: $69.99

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3 - Blu-ray+Dvd - $22.99 - Combo+ Digital - $27.99
Tigger Movie: $19.99
Modern Family - Season 3: $37.99
Supernatural - Season 7: $45.99
Titanic - Blu-ray+Dvd+Digital: $19.99
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: $22.99
Cabin in the Woods - Blu-ray+Digital: $22.99

Lance Quazar said:
You may be disappointed.

I discovered early this year that UK blu rays will play on only a very tiny percentage of US players.

I can't decide to pull the trigger or not! I was reading and there is something about the "region free" discs being produced in 60i vs 50i, one is PAL one is NTSC, and I also read if you change the Blu ray player setting from 1080p to 1080i they'll play. How is the Amazon UK return Policy?

From the Amazon UK Blu Ray playing on US Player Discussion

"If I may be of help here. 50i refers to the 50Hz (50 times a second) signal of the European PAL television system. In the U.S. we use the 60Hz signal which originated with the NTSC (National Television System Committee) and continues in the ATSC (Advanced Television System Committee) system. As long as the disc is region free, generally it is indicated by the letters A,B.C, and the movie or TV show is encoded at 24p (24 frames per second) it will play on any blu-ray player. The 24p signal is understood by all blu-ray players regardless of region. However, the extras on the disc may not play if they were encoded at 50i (interlaced) format. I have learned the best way to determine whether a disc is compatible with U.S. players is go to blu-ray.com and look up the reviews. They will note if it is region locked or not.

"I have the Sony 580 and just figured out the issue with the British blu rays such as Downton Abbey (UK version) and Midsomer Murders (also blu ray):
I went into the player's setup menu, went into the video output, clicked on HDMI, then scrolled to the bottom and clicked 1080i.
This solved the framerate issue. They look great now!"

WeAreGoingToDie

Dr.Jonesy said:
So what are the lithographs supposed to be?

I'm guessing they'll be of the two page spreads from inside the disc booklet. Probably one for each movie as well as one of the cover.

Star Wars had that with the Target exclusive:

110911_p11ak_cmb_2_SZ.jpg

Montana Smith

Mandible said:
Hey all.

I picked up the blu rays yesterday and finally had a chance to look over them today.

I consider Raiders to be a "perfect" movie, so as you can imagine I was pretty excited about the blu ray release and especially the extensive remastering that has been done on Raiders.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
OMG...WTF???
I put Raiders into my high-end THX Integra player, switched on the calibrated Pioneer plasma, and within 10 seconds of it starting, thought I had a problem with my system; the color was washed out with an ugly yellow/orange wash through the whole thing and the contrast level was pumped so high I had extensively blown-out whites.

Quickly, and before my head exploded, I placed the Avatar blu ray into the player and low and behold, it was perfect...

Back in went Raiders, followed by the other three, in sheer hope and desperation that it may have only been Raiders that had this problem. Unfortunately, it's on all four films.

My first thought was that it must be a faulty disc, but before charging off to my retailer, I decided to do some investigation on the net. To my surprise, that is how all the currently available (Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand) versions look - and man is it bad.

So in conclusion, I would warn anyone living in those areas to run a mile and hold hope that the US mastering has nailed it. My copy is the Australian version and, further to my previous comments, the skin tones are so repugnantly orange I had to flick my calibrated plasma over to the crappy "Cinema" preset so that it was watchable.

Now the wait begins to see if the reviews of the US version sing a similar tune; God, I hope not, for it will be a grim day for any Indy fan if this has been a conscious decision by Spielberg.

Fingers crossed people.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116197

This must be the colourful equivalent of

The film looked a bit more arid than I expected...

http://www.dvdmg.com/raidersofthelostarkbr.shtml

Crack that whip

Hey, does anybody know yet a) whether the collector's edition will be available anywhere other than the UK, and b) whether that UK set will include the full version or the censored version of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Montana Smith

Mandible doesn't like it.

I'm so annoyed. The whole opening title sequence of Raiders is horrendously bad. I've never noticed the guy that gets scared away by the stone face (with the bats flying out) is wearing a hideous looking beanie cap, but the colors are so overt on this version it sticks out like a sore thumb.

As far as detail goes, it looks good in some spots and bad in others. They've cranked the contrast so much it looks like the film was over exposed in a lot of shots.

I am personally dumbfounded at this (color) grade.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4868463#post4868463

Crack that whip

OMG, they digitally repositioned Indy behind Spielberg's credit! :eek:

:p

Actually, I must say the bottom screenshots in those two examples (the ones said to be from a previous HDTV broadcast) look closer to how I've seen it in IMAX (seven times in the past six days). Is it possible the shots got mixed up with each other (i.e., that bottom ones are actually the Blu-ray ones)?

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:
Actually, I must say the bottom screenshots in those two examples (the ones said to be from a previous HDTV broadcast) look closer to how I've seen it in IMAX (seven times in the past six days). Is it possible the shots got mixed up with each other (i.e., that bottom ones are actually the Blu-ray ones)?

It seems very unlikely.

Here's a thread discussing the ROTLA Blu-ray:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/3...ords-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray

Crack that whip

Montana Smith said:
It seems very unlikely.

Here's a thread discussing the ROTLA Blu-ray:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/3...ords-about-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-blu-ray

I figured not, but having just gotten back from IMAX Raiders viewing #8 :D , I have to say the bottom ones really do appear to me more like what I've been seeing this past week at my local AMC (though of course I couldn't do a side-by-side A/B comparison between this thread and the screen while I was in the theater, so...).

Getting back to my earlier question that nobody bothered to answer... :p

Crack that whip said:
Hey, does anybody know yet a) whether the collector's edition will be available anywhere other than the UK, and b) whether that UK set will include the full version or the censored version of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

It appears so - the Blu-ray will mark the first time that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom will get an uncensored official release in the UK. Moreover, for the first time ever in the UK, the movie is also getting an uncensored theatrical release, as part of a specially programmed series of uncut original versions of various movies that have always been censored or banned in the UK until now, to mark the centenary of the BBFC (!), perversely enough. The series runs throughout November, and includes lots of notable movies, of which Temple of Doom is just one. This probably warrants its own thread, actually...

**goes off to create separate thread**

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Finally have a date for the Limited Edition and what's with it for Australia.

Love the steelbook for this one and am counting down to the 12th of October. :whip:

Though I do find the stuff about the colour balances strange. It's almost like an aesthetic decision to help make KOTCS look less like the odd one out as KOTCS did have a more bluer and lighter hue than the others initially. But then Spielberg's supposed to have sworn off that so maybe not likely.

Dr Bones

Got exited when the Facebook page annouced a replica grail...seems this was a misprint?

Wait til Xmas and they'll be dramatically reduced in price as was Star Wars last year.

digitalfreaknyc

ddschneider1972 said:
I can't decide to pull the trigger or not! I was reading and there is something about the "region free" discs being produced in 60i vs 50i, one is PAL one is NTSC, and I also read if you change the Blu ray player setting from 1080p to 1080i they'll play. How is the Amazon UK return Policy?

From the Amazon UK Blu Ray playing on US Player Discussion

"If I may be of help here. 50i refers to the 50Hz (50 times a second) signal of the European PAL television system. In the U.S. we use the 60Hz signal which originated with the NTSC (National Television System Committee) and continues in the ATSC (Advanced Television System Committee) system. As long as the disc is region free, generally it is indicated by the letters A,B.C, and the movie or TV show is encoded at 24p (24 frames per second) it will play on any blu-ray player. The 24p signal is understood by all blu-ray players regardless of region. However, the extras on the disc may not play if they were encoded at 50i (interlaced) format. I have learned the best way to determine whether a disc is compatible with U.S. players is go to blu-ray.com and look up the reviews. They will note if it is region locked or not.

"I have the Sony 580 and just figured out the issue with the British blu rays such as Downton Abbey (UK version) and Midsomer Murders (also blu ray):
I went into the player's setup menu, went into the video output, clicked on HDMI, then scrolled to the bottom and clicked 1080i.
This solved the framerate issue. They look great now!"

It's horrendously inaccurate. Most UK discs will play in US players. Although region coding exists, not a lot of companies are actually utilizing it.

Lance Quazar

digitalfreaknyc said:
It's horrendously inaccurate. Most UK discs will play in US players. Although region coding exists, not a lot of companies are actually utilizing it.

Look, I am absolutely no one's expert on the subject. I'm assuming a "digital freak" knows much, much more on the subject than I do. This is purely anecdotal.

But I bought an UK blu earlier in the year that I could not play.

Doing some research, I discovered only a very small fraction of US blu rays are equipped to play 50hz. And that is NOT considered "region coding". The discs were advertised as "region free."

I would simply advise anyone looking to buy the UK discs to do some research so they don't get stuck, as I did, with something they cannot play.