King Tut Exhibit

Le Saboteur

In related news, it's Howard Carter's 138th birthday!

howard-carter3.jpg

Howard Carter said:
...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold - everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.?

Kevin

Kevin said:
This is coming to Seattle, I'm definitely going to see it.:whip:

I went to see this a few weeks ago, and it was amazing. I highly recommend the exhibit to anyone who can make it to Seattle - be sure to spring for the audio guide, as it heavily features Harrison Ford (and its very informative).

Here is a pic of probably the neatest item in the exhibit, and from Tanis no less!

DSC_0947.jpg

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
In twenty-days it'll be here in San Francisco at the de Young Museum. I've read through all the information that I can find, but I don't see a reference to Harrison Ford's audio tour anywhere. Once I go, I'll see if I can't shed some light on the availability of his presentation. Maybe it's an exclusive to Toronto?

Did I go to this? I can't remember if I ever did take in this exhibit. There was that one in Los Angeles, but this one? Don't remember.

Anyway!

120230.jpg

We're nearing the 100th Anniversary of Howard Carter's discovery of King Tut's tomb, and in order to celebrate the occasion the California Science Center in Los Angeles!

California Science Center said:
To celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the discovery of King Tut?s tomb, the California Science Center is proud to present the world premiere of KING TUT: TREASURES OF THE GOLDEN PHARAOH?the largest King Tut exhibition ever toured! Discover over 150 authentic artifacts from King Tut?s celebrated tomb, many of which the boy king himself used in life and in death, including gold jewelry, gilded wood furniture, and ornate ritual objects?60 of which have never traveled outside of Egypt, until now. Come experience these priceless treasures before they return to Egypt forever.

The exhibit begins its ten month residency at the Science Center beginning March 24, 2018! That should be plenty of time for those Ravenites on the West Coast of the United States to take in the experience and report back. Details are scare at the moment, but, after the exhibit closes in Los Angeles, it's set to tour the Continent beginning in Spring 2019!

Stop in on the center's site for some early details. In addition to the exhibit itself, the center will also be screening the IMAX film Mysteries of Egypt on their seven-story screen! General Admission is free, but tickets for this special exhibit will run you thirty bucks for adults according to this interview with the center's Deputy Director of Exhibits, Dr. Diane Perlov.

In the meantime, got Netflix? Check out the 2005 BBC docudrama series Egypt. It features a two-part episode on Carter's discovery of Tut's tomb as well as episodes on Giovanni Belzoni and Jean-François Champollion.

There's also the three part iTV series Tutankhamen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K4QdO2Cc8IE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or Spike TV's three-part even, Tut!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P3FKkZYDhPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nosirrah

I saw the Tut exhibit in 1979 at the De Young Museum in San Francisco. I was riding my bike through Golden Gate Park on my way to Peru (story for another time), and stopped at the ticket tent on a lark. The show was sold out, they were just taking tickets. Directly behind me in line was an elegantly-dressed gentleman who had an extra ticket that he was preparing to turn in. He looked at me and my bike, and gave it to me instead.

Words cannot do justice to the artifacts. I had read about Carter and Carnarvon since I was a lad, and here I was in the very presence of those "wonderful things." When you look at the death mask, it looks back-- right through you, to eternity. I get shivers just thinking about it now, nearly four decades on.

A couple of years later, a well-dressed chap named Belloq, who didn't know that his personal history was nearly over, nevertheless put it well: "Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this *is* history."

Go if you can. Since to an archaeologist, context is everything, consider visiting the replica tomb in the Valley of the Kings:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/exact-replica-tutankhamun-tomb-egypt
Word is, it's pretty good work, and a realistic alternative to continued degradation of the original.