Short Round in Indy 5, Who's with me?

lao che & sons

mr.kotcs said:
In my idea he is working for the Korean Government to find the McGuffin, before Indy does. He doesn't know he's trying to get it from Indy. Heck, just Look at the Chase sequence for Indy 5 thread.

why would shorty be working for korea, when he isn't even korean? And he moved to america with indy and went to boarding school.:rolleyes:

lao che & sons

Goonie said:
That would be Tom Hanks' son.

yeah, that's the one! wouldn't he make a great indy 5 opening villian. He may be like a senior in 1957. He graduates in 58. And he goes after a priceless object which he become greedy about. I can see some wity dialogue from indy in that scene.(y)

The Drifter

lao che & sons said:
yeah, that's the one! wouldn't he make a great indy 5 opening villian. He may be like a senior in 1957. He graduates in 58. And he goes after a priceless object which he become greedy about. I can see some wity dialogue from indy in that scene.(y)

"But, Indiana. You told me to get out of the library. And, that's exactly what I have done! Bwhahahaha!"

Cole

Bringing Shorty back might be one of those ideas that are fine for a book/novel...........but I really don't think it would translate well to the screen.

Shorty's almost 40 now. It's simply not the same character.

Chewbacca Jones

I'm with you on this one, mr.kotcs! I wasn't head over heels about Shorty in ToD, but I liked certain things he brought out in the Indy character. I have been thinking a bit lately about how an adult Shorty could fit in, and not too far off from where your mind is going. I'm hoping to collaborate with Canyon on my first Indy Fan Fiction story, and bring Shorty in. Possibly, to be as ToD'ish as I can, by making it a prequel to KotCS by a couple of years. :hat:

I also think seeing Sallah again would be cool, even if in a small role.

As for a side kick... I just finished reading Secret of the Spinx, and I think there's material in there to work with to build a non-romantic female lead in a post-marriage Indy-verse. Both a contemporary and a younger woman appear, with distinct relationships to Indy.

JP Jones

lao che & sons said:
why would shorty be working for korea, when he isn't even korean? And he moved to america with indy and went to boarding school.:rolleyes:
He could've easily moved to Korea to help in the war.
But, since he has become an archeologist, Korea uses him to get a McGuffin.
These are just ideas.

Mickiana

Something tells me that is a bad idea. Dredging up old characters is not something they have done well (deliberately) in the Indiana Jones series. The characters of Marcus and Sallah were reduced for LC, Marion's appearance in KotCS had too much schmaltz factor. With all the possibilities of different tales for future movies (with and without Harrison), why can't we be given something new with new characters every time? I suppose they know the undiscerning public rather prefers the familiar...

Lance Quazar

Mickiana said:
Something tells me that is a bad idea. Dredging up old characters is not something they have done well (deliberately) in the Indiana Jones series. The characters of Marcus and Sallah were reduced for LC, Marion's appearance in KotCS had too much schmaltz factor. With all the possibilities of different tales for future movies (with and without Harrison), why can't we be given something new with new characters every time? I suppose they know the undiscerning public rather prefers the familiar...

Indeed. Having re-watched "last crusade" recently, I was shocked by how utterly pointless Sallah's inclusion in the film was.

Sure it was nice to see him from a fan POV, but he is completely superfluous. He goes in and out of the plot as necessary. For example, he shows up at the tail end of the tank chase to help Henry get off the tank, but what the hell was he doing for the twenty minutes in between?

And many fans are annoyed by how they turned the suave, intelligent Marcus into buffoonish comic relief in LC, as well.

Sadly, my opinions on KOTCS as a whole are very unfavorable and Marion was seriously mishandled.

That said, the opportunity for Short Round's return to the franchise was in the wedding scene in KOTCS. It would have been a cameo that actually made sense and it is maddening that he was not included there. It was a no-brainer and they totally dropped the ball.

Basically, there was none of Indy's history in what should have been one of the most important days in his life, which is a damn shame.

Robyn

Lance Quazar said:
That said, the opportunity for Short Round's return to the franchise was in the wedding scene in KOTCS. It would have been a cameo that actually made sense and it is maddening that he was not included there. It was a no-brainer and they totally dropped the ball.

Basically, there was none of Indy's history in what should have been one of the most important days in his life, which is a damn shame.

I agree, he definitely at least should have been at the wedding...

secondtimearound-jonathanqe_8b6d2febef4e18bd1565445255d13183.jpg

"You don't even invite me to your wedding?! Play with you, no fun Dr. Jones!"

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Who knows if he was asked or not. John Rhys-Davies was tapped for a wedding cameo, but he turned it down because literally all they offered him was a shot smiling in a pew in London that they could splice into the film, and he passed on the basis that it wasn't worthy of the character. Maybe he was greedy, or maybe he really felt that way, but he apparently didn't care much for the film overall once he saw it.

JP Jones

Cole said:
Bringing Shorty back might be one of those ideas that are fine for a book/novel...........but I really don't think it would translate well to the screen.

Shorty's almost 40 now. It's simply not the same character.
Excatly, he'll serve as an important part. Not like the little kid sidekick that's does nothing. I can see him having the same qualities as the 12 year old short round, but serving a different purpose.
The other thing that is upsetting people is the fact that He could be the main sidekick. Like I said before; He'll be like Mac. Not really the main focus, but an important piece to the puzzle.:hat:

What a terrible idea! While we're at it let's bring back Wu Han. That Key Hui Kwan appeal is timeless!

They should re-cast him, he could be like Sallah!:rolleyes:

lao che & sons

The more I think about this the more sceptical I am about short round returning. Yes he is my favorite indy character of all time but I would so much rather that they make some new sidekicks for indy in the future. For this one don't bring back anyone, except maybe charles stanforth but just have him as the usual cameo and no more! Make a completely new adventure with characters that will become icons in the indy world. Now THAT would be great.

lao che & sons

mr.kotcs said:
He could've easily moved to Korea to help in the war.
But, since he has become an archeologist, Korea uses him to get a McGuffin.
These are just ideas.

but why korea? why wouldn't he help his OWN COUNRTY... CHINA! Why would he help them? That's all I'm saying it's possible for him to help korea in the war, but it's not at all plausible. I can easily see him moving to china, but why korea? Just answer that to me and I'll shut up!

JP Jones

lao che & sons said:
The more I think about this the more sceptical I am about short round returning. Yes he is my favorite indy character of all time but I would so much rather that they make some new sidekicks for indy in the future. For this one don't bring back anyone, except maybe charles stanforth but just have him as the usual cameo and no more! Make a completely new adventure with characters that will become icons in the indy world. Now THAT would be great.
In KotCS Marion returned, but there were new characters too. Mutt is now an icon in the Indy world. In LC Sallah returned, but Henry Sr. became an icon.
For Indy 5 they should bring back shorty, but have a new sidekick to go along with him.(y) or(n)

lao che & sons

Lance Quazar said:

I really like that idea. they could've included shorty and sallah maybe and that would've been great! It would've nehanced that scene so much. I love the scene already, but I think it really would've just helped it become an alltime favorite scene. maybe even willie could've come by to the wedding. That's something that has now made me a bit more dissapointed with KOTCS.

lao che & sons

mr.kotcs said:
In KotCS Marion returned, but there were new characters too. Mutt is now an icon in the Indy world. In LC Sallah returned, but Henry Sr. became an icon.
For Indy 5 they should bring back shorty, but have a new sidekick to go along with him.(y) or(n)

I guess that's true, but I hope they don't pull a marcus on us and make him a bumbling fool.

I'm just saying, I'd rather they left us with the fond memories we have of shorty, and not some trash. If they want to take the risk then so be it.

JP Jones

lao che & sons said:
but why korea? why wouldn't he help his OWN COUNRTY... CHINA! Why would he help them? That's all I'm saying it's possible for him to help korea in the war, but it's not at all plausible. I can easily see him moving to china, but why korea? Just answer that to me and I'll shut up!
I'm thinking of countries involved in wars at the time. I don't think China was a major part of the Veitnam war or the Korean War. If we could fit China in there somehow, that would be my idea. I really would like him in Indy 5 so I'm really trying hard to find something.

Robyn

lao che & sons said:
maybe even willie could've come by to the wedding. That's something that has now made me a bit more dissapointed with KOTCS.

No.. I don't think Marion would have appreciated x-girl-friends at the wedding... "Honey... these are all the women that weren't you!" lol