Indy & Marion Divorce?????

Sharkey

Jack Nelligan said:
Do you thinks Indy and Marion's marriage will last???

Of course! They're in their golden years...besides Mutt finishing school, all the make or brake arguments are over!

Jack Nelligan

Stoo said:
Not for me. I've mentioned the idea a few times before (at the risk of a frying-pan-smack from Robyn and Violet, "Marion Fan Extraordinaire";)). Either killed or seriously injured by the villain/s and only because it would create some REAL drama if Indy's new family suffered in some way. A divorce is much too tame. In '89, seeing Henry Sr. get shot was a shocker!:gun:

I'm not very big on "wish threads" but if there are 2 things I'd like to see in Indy V, they would be: snow & blood.

Indy would look good in a B-3 leather bomber coat.(y)

Crack that whip

Attila the Professor said:
Hey, whatever explanation works...

What's wrong with just not having her along? It's not as though everyone with a spouse has her or him with oneself at all times. Yeesh...

Stoo said:
Not for me. I've mentioned the idea a few times before (at the risk of a frying-pan-smack from Robyn and Violet, "Marion Fan Extraordinaire";)). Either killed or seriously injured by the villain/s and only because it would create some REAL drama if Indy's new family suffered in some way. A divorce is much too tame. In '89, seeing Henry Sr. get shot was a shocker!:gun:

I'm not very big on "wish threads" but if there are 2 things I'd like to see in Indy V, they would be: snow & blood.

Ok, but killing her off entirely in service of drama? Perhaps, but if she's going to die, I want it to serve some real dramatic function, rather than just introducing a little extra drama into this one movie - it should be something with far-reaching, lasting repercussions throughout dozens of additional movies, were there to be any, which obviously there won't be. Things with lasting impacts on Indy and Marion's relationship are "bigger" than any one particular adventure, and I'd want the movie to reflect that. Really, to do it the kind of justice we're talking about here, it would have to mean the whole movie (and with it, the entire film series) would end on a downbeat note. That could be interesting, but I don't think it's really what most people want from these movies.

If anything, I think perhaps finally giving Indy his eye wound (something you've expressed an interest in as well) would better do the trick. Such a serious and permanent injury would not only serve the function you discuss here, but additionally / in particular would very well address the complaints of those who felt the "fridge" scene in the last movie makes him pretty much invulnerable, and it would also cement the continuity with the "old Indy" segments in the Chronicles.

As far as blood goes, I'm sure it'll be there in the movie somewhere (assuming the movie gets made at all) - it's there in all the other movies, after all (albeit to widely varying amounts). Do you mean you want lots of it, like in a Saw movie or something like that? I don't think that's going to happen; I don't think the Beards are interested in making one of these movies rated R or NC-17. I presume you mean more blood than is seen in the last movie(s)?

Stoo

Jack Nelligan said:
Indy would look good in a B-3 leather bomber coat.(y)
Damn straight, Jack!(y) Maybe his old squeeze, Lesley-Anne Down, will come back into Indy's life and he'll dump Marion.:p

18944388.jpg

Crack that whip said:
As far as blood goes, I'm sure it'll be there in the movie somewhere (assuming the movie gets made at all) - it's there in all the other movies, after all (albeit to widely varying amounts). Do you mean you want lots of it, like in a Saw movie or something like that? I don't think that's going to happen; I don't think the Beards are interested in making one of these movies rated R or NC-17. I presume you mean more blood than is seen in the last movie(s)?
I agree with what you've said, especially about the downbeat note but something bad should happen to her or Mutt. As for LOTS of blood? No, just an amount on par with "Raiders" and "Doom". A divorce seems just too...pedestrian.

Last edited:

Jack Nelligan

Crack that whip said:
What's wrong with just not having her along? It's not as though everyone with a spouse has her or him with oneself at all times. Yeesh...

Ok, but killing her off entirely in service of drama? Perhaps, but if she's going to die, I want it to serve some real dramatic function, rather than just introducing a little extra drama into this one movie - it should be something with far-reaching, lasting repercussions throughout dozens of additional movies, were there to be any, which obviously there won't be. Things with lasting impacts on Indy and Marion's relationship are "bigger" than any one particular adventure, and I'd want the movie to reflect that. Really, to do it the kind of justice we're talking about here, it would have to mean the whole movie (and with it, the entire film series) would end on a downbeat note. That could be interesting, but I don't think it's really what most people want from these movies.

If anything, I think perhaps finally giving Indy his eye wound (something you've expressed an interest in as well) would better do the trick. Such a serious and permanent injury would not only serve the function you discuss here, but additionally / in particular would very well address the complaints of those who felt the "fridge" scene in the last movie makes him pretty much invulnerable, and it would also cement the continuity with the "old Indy" segments in the Chronicles.

What about having Indy loose his eye while trying unsuccessfully to save Marion at the beginning of the movie and he has to live with the eye as a constant reminder of Marion and her death. Also the eye could serve as a reason for Mutt to step up into a larger roll and help Indy find who killed Marion.

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
I agree with what you've said, especially about the downbeat note but something bad should happen to her or Mutt.

But I thought you didn't want them in the movie at all? Surely you don't mean just killing them off between movies, so that they're dead at the time the fifth movie begins. Aside from ruining much of whatever enjoyment one gets from the fourth movie (I know that's not much to start with for some here, but plenty of us do like it), that just seems like too much of a cop-out and a cliché.

I'm fine with having Marion and Mutt back; both would be believable, suitable adventuring companions, and all that's needed to make them great is some decent writing (I think a lot of the problems most people have with them in the fourth movie would've been taken care of if they'd just been handled a little better in the script), but alternately, if it's really important that they don't get a lot of screen time (or any at all) in the movie for some reason, I don't see why they wouldn't just stay in the US while Indy is outside the country conducting an excavation or something. Real archaeologists and other researchers doing fieldwork are often separated from their families for months at a time, after all.

Personally, if the movie is indeed to be a traditional Indy adventure in the same general mold as the other four movies, I'd like for Marion and/or Mutt to either accompany Indy on the adventure, or just stay at home; I don't have a preference between the two. I'd also be fine with Something Dramatic that shakes up Indy's relationship with one or both of them (splitting up with Marion, a death, whatever), if it's made the focus of the drama - something that takes the place of much of the action we'd normally expect in one of these movies, even becoming the primary focus of the movie. What I don't want is for something significant to happen to one of them followed by Indy just going humming along shoving bad guys out of vehicles and so on as if nothing's happened. If Marion or Mutt dies, it should drastically affect the entire movie.

AnnieJones

Jack Nelligan said:
Would it be too traumatic for Indy fans for Marion to be killed off in Indy V?
I totally agree with you Jack Nelligan! Yes it would be traumatic.

Last edited:

Stoo

Jack Nelligan said:
What about having Indy loose his eye while trying unsuccessfully to save Marion at the beginning of the movie and he has to live with the eye as a constant reminder of Marion and her death. Also the eye could serve as a reason for Mutt to step up into a larger roll and help Indy find who killed Marion.
YES!(y) How did Indy lose his eye?
Rocket Surgeon said:
eh, never liked the elastic cuffs and waistband.
Kind of akin to Simcoe elastic-waistband jeans as opposed to good ol' Levi's.;)
Jack Nelligan said:
Heh, I knew you did, Jack, but "Hanover Street" is closest image we have...for the time being;)
Crack that whip said:
But I thought you didn't want them in the movie at all? Surely you don't mean just killing them off between movies, so that they're dead at the time the fifth movie begins. Aside from ruining much of whatever enjoyment one gets from the fourth movie (I know that's not much to start with for some here, but plenty of us do like it), that just seems like too much of a cop-out and a cliché.
I don't want them to be in the hypothetical new movie but *if* they will be, I'd like something bad to happen. Now that it's all wine'n'roses for Indy some EMOTIONAL PAIN would be the correct avenue to pursue. Either that or make it a prequel. (Even though we may disagree on this, I alway enjoy reading what you have to say, Crack!:hat:)

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
YES!(y) How did Indy lose his eye?
Kind of akin to Simcoe elastic-waistband jeans as opposed to good ol' Levi's.;)
Heh, I knew you did, Jack, but "Hanover Street" is closest image we have...for the time being;)
I don't want them to be in the hypothetical new movie but *if* they will be, I'd like something bad to happen. Now that it's all wine'n'roses for Indy some EMOTIONAL PAIN would be the correct avenue to pursue. Either that or make it a prequel. (Even though we may disagree on this, I alway enjoy reading what you have to say, Crack!:hat:)

I appreciate that. :hat:

That said, that much emotional pain would make for a fine dramatic movie, but it'd also warrant (indeed, it would demand, in my view) a serious treatment that necessitated this being something other than just a typical Indy adventure, something with a downer ending. I'm not sure I want what's probably going to be the last Indy movie ever ending with him drinking himself to death mourning his family as the credits roll, but I also don't want him to just blow off their deaths like it's no big deal - if they die, I want him to be in a terrible state at the end of the movie, a total wreck, and I just don't think I want the last movie ending that way.

Moreover, if things truly are "wine 'n' roses" for Indy now, I'd like him to get at least some time to enjoy them. I'd rather not have Marion / Mutt killed off just right after the movie in which they get together; it really feels like a cop-out ("we'll marry 'em in this one to get the requisite happy ending, but we don't want to be stuck with the same supporting cast, so let's kill 'em off in the next and be done with them" - meh).

I'm not saying it should be completely out of the question - indeed, I'm open to a lot of things I think not everyone would be. I'd actually be fine with a fifth movie that didn't feature any adventure or a villain or a quest at all, but instead was a pure, straight drama, with a pensive Indy reflecting on his life or whatever while adjusting to his new life with Marion, for example. I just don't want a movie that kills off the people nearest and dearest to him in a way with no weight but just makes it something that happens in the movie thirty minutes before he's out in a desert fighting huge guys and dodging darts. Their deaths should have a greater impact on the audience than mere popcorn thrills do, and the audience should want them not to die. Given this thread, it seems like a lot of people here actually want them to, which to me ironically means it's not the best time for them to do so.

Robyn

Stoo said:

Alright Stoo.. You asked for this!:gun:
marionpan.jpg

I know you don't want her in the movie Stoo, but a lot of people who love Marion do want her in the next movie, so the movie can't just be ruined for fans like me! There's gotta be a compromise to at least halfway please fans like you and me right?

Jack Nelligan

Crack that whip said:
I appreciate that. :hat:

That said, that much emotional pain would make for a fine dramatic movie, but it'd also warrant (indeed, it would demand, in my view) a serious treatment that necessitated this being something other than just a typical Indy adventure, something with a downer ending. I'm not sure I want what's probably going to be the last Indy movie ever ending with him drinking himself to death mourning his family as the credits roll, but I also don't want him to just blow off their deaths like it's no big deal - if they die, I want him to be in a terrible state at the end of the movie, a total wreck, and I just don't think I want the last movie ending that way.

Moreover, if things truly are "wine 'n' roses" for Indy now, I'd like him to get at least some time to enjoy them. I'd rather not have Marion / Mutt killed off just right after the movie in which they get together; it really feels like a cop-out ("we'll marry 'em in this one to get the requisite happy ending, but we don't want to be stuck with the same supporting cast, so let's kill 'em off in the next and be done with them" - meh).

I'm not saying it should be completely out of the question - indeed, I'm open to a lot of things I think not everyone would be. I'd actually be fine with a fifth movie that didn't feature any adventure or a villain or a quest at all, but instead was a pure, straight drama, with a pensive Indy reflecting on his life or whatever while adjusting to his new life with Marion, for example. I just don't want a movie that kills off the people nearest and dearest to him in a way with no weight but just makes it something that happens in the movie thirty minutes before he's out in a desert fighting huge guys and dodging darts. Their deaths should have a greater impact on the audience than mere popcorn thrills do, and the audience should want them not to die. Given this thread, it seems like a lot of people here actually want them to, which to me ironically means it's not the best time for them to do so.

If Marion were to be killed at the beginning of the movie and Indy?s eye injured(lasting reminder), this would set Mutt up as a larger player as Indy?s side kick trying to avenge Marion?s death, and also give Mutt some motivation for a future film. During the search for vengeance, Indy could realize, with the help of a new love interest, maybe Willie Scott, that vengeance is futile and he decides to hang it up. Mutt on the other hand, being young and full of rage over his mother?s death, vows to not stop until he avenges her death, and this brings us to the new Mutt series.

Crack that whip

I just don't think a dark revenge fantasy is the right way to go for what would likely be the series finale, and I'm not crazy about Marion dying right off the bat in the movie immediately following the one in which they get married. Perhaps if there were at least one movie between KotCS and the one in which she might die, and then at least one more after that, it would work for me, but that would mean doing at least three more movies, which I just don't see happening.

And rumors to the contrary notwithstanding, I don't think a movie spinoff series centered around Mutt is likely to happen.

Jack Nelligan

Crack that whip said:
I just don't think a dark revenge fantasy is the right way to go for what would likely be the series finale, and I'm not crazy about Marion dying right off the bat in the movie immediately following the one in which they get married. Perhaps if there were at least one movie between KotCS and the one in which she might die, and then at least one more after that, it would work for me, but that would mean doing at least three more movies, which I just don't see happening.

And rumors to the contrary notwithstanding, I don't think a movie spinoff series centered around Mutt is likely to happen.

Indy + Mutt = $$$$ Indy + Mutt - Indy = $$$$

If they think they can make money with a Mutt series, you can bet your a$$ there will be one!

Crack that whip said:
I just don't think a dark revenge fantasy is the right way to go for what would likely be the series finale, and I'm not crazy about Marion dying right off the bat in the movie immediately following the one in which they get married.

The likelyhood is slim to anorexic. Shoe horn the wedding in to set up a real tragedy in his life? They've gone far too soft for that.

Indiana Jones is not going to back to anything remotely hardcore...

Jack Nelligan

Rocket Surgeon said:
The likelyhood is slim to anorexic. Shoe horn the wedding in to set up a real tragedy in his life? They've gone far too soft for that.

Indiana Jones is not going to back to anything remotely hardcore...

One can hope. I don't really care about Marion on way or the other and wish they hadn't thrown the wedding into the mix. I think it would have been a lot more interesting to have had Indy and Marion break up at the end of KoTCS. I just don't see those two strong personalities lasting in a marriage.
That being sais, Marion has to die off before Indy, and he has to lose an eye, so I would like to see them capture these moments in what will no doubt be the last Indy movie and to save time, they could both happen in the same scene.

IAdventurer01

While I don't necessarily want Marion/Mutt to play a large role in another film, I sure as heck don't want them to divorce or kick the bucket.

As a friend of mine frequently asks, "what happened to blue skies?"

Indiana Jones doesn't need a particularly campy brightness to the series. It can get dangerous and gritty, but it's got to keep the "blue skies" and unbridled optimism and enthusiasm that has been with the series throughout. Such a downer such as Indy's chance at a happy life being crushed on screen just is not in line with the series, and I think would upset FAR more people than would approve of it.

Robyn

Jack Nelligan said:
One can hope. I don't really care about Marion on way or the other and wish they hadn't thrown the wedding into the mix. I think it would have been a lot more interesting to have had Indy and Marion break up at the end of KoTCS. I just don't see those two strong personalities lasting in a marriage.
That being sais, Marion has to die off before Indy, and he has to lose an eye, so I would like to see them capture these moments in what will no doubt be the last Indy movie and to save time, they could both happen in the same scene.

If you actually believe that the majority of Indy fans would prefer to kill off Marion and bring back Willie Scott as his love interest then I think you need to get in touch with reality...

I mean let's face it, even if some of people don't like Marion and never wanted Indy to get married, the fact is MOST people love Marion, she's already been brought back into the story and Indy was indeed married, don't like it? Get over it ;) You can't just expect Marion do be killed off or for them to get divorced just to please a very small group of the fans.

The Drifter

Robyn said:
If you actually believe that the majority of Indy fans would prefer to kill off Marion and bring back Willie Scott as his love interest then I think you need to get in touch with reality...

I mean let's face it, even if some of people don't like Marion and never wanted Indy to get married, the fact is MOST people love Marion, she's already been brought back into the story and Indy was indeed married, don't like it? Get over it ;) You can't just expect Marion do be killed off or for them to get divorced just to please a very small group of the fans.

I would love it if they got divorced. Not just for the heck of it, but because it think it would add another layer into the story. It would give Indiana Jones a much bigger drive to come out on top during the course of the film.
But, I do realize that most do not share my views.