Temple of Doom cuts on the DVD's

Kumba

MrE26 said:
Sick son of a b*tch? Was that really necessary? And no, i don't 'catch your drift' at all. Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. In fact, if anything, it confirms exactly what i said in the first place. i.e. You are no more free to watch whatever you want than we are.

Fine, you're not a sick SOB. I was just blowing off some steam. The reason there are censorship boards is to make films better to see with your g/f or family, alright. that's my point. i don't want to see some movie where someone gets their nads ripped off in a bloody mess by some knife-wielding freak. Sure, i don't mind movies like hannibal or scream. Now do you understand? And also, I think the temple cuts were ridiculous.

Canyon

Kumba said:
Ok, NO! That wouldn't be classified as controlling what you watch. It'd be given an 'R' rating, but people could still see it without it being cutted. Spielburg wanted to make it a 'PG' movie so more kids would see it, which was a good move by Spielburg. Ah, Canyon, so you'd like to know my age, eh? Well i'm afraid i'd be violating the forum's rules if i told you that information, but what i can tell you is that i'm a junior in high school. Class of '05! Yeehah!

Sorry my friend. Over here in the UK we go by different grades in our schools. Just tell me what year you were born in and that'll do! :D

BTW, whats all this about violating the forum rules? Are we not allowed to say what our ages are?

Najemikon

Been reading this thread with interest, trying to find out what the actual cuts are, since I found out we in the UK are been offered substandard versions.

I've decided their substantial enough to get the set from another region. Some of you have previously mentioned Amazon.com and/or customs charges. Not so!

If you want the Region 1 set, go to http://www.dvdboxoffice.com who are based in Canada. They don't charge for shipping & I've yet to have a package from them get caught by customs. It's something to do with how they ship, but whatever; the price on the site is what you pay with no extras. Delivery on average takes about a week.

If you don't like NTSC or your player can't even play multi-region, go down under to Oz. I use http://www.chaosmusic.com . Region 4 editions are compatible with Region 2 & are PAL to boot. Although the Aussies charge for shipping, again, I've never had a problem with customs.

http://www.dvdcompare.net say that the sets are all uncut, apart from UK. I reckon the Australian set is best choice, because of PAL & their compatibility with players that are Region 2 only.

Hope that helps!

MrE26

Kumba said:
Fine, you're not a sick SOB. I was just blowing off some steam. The reason there are censorship boards is to make films better to see with your g/f or family, alright. that's my point. i don't want to see some movie where someone gets their nads ripped off in a bloody mess by some knife-wielding freak. Sure, i don't mind movies like hannibal or scream. Now do you understand? And also, I think the temple cuts were ridiculous.
Okay, that's cool. The point i was making was that both of our countries have the same levels of censorship. Granted, some of their decisions do differ at times, but in general they're pretty equal. I agree that the censors did get a little bit scissor-happy when they rated Temple Of Doom, but a few shots were a little too graphic to make PG in my opinion. I do also think the uproar about the level of violence in the film when it was released in the US contributed to the amount we had cut out of our version. What annoys me is the fact that Paramount haven't even bothered trying to get the shots reinstated into the film. I'm pretty sure a lot of these cuts would be waived nowadays.
Originally posted by Najemikon
I reckon the Australian set is best choice, because of PAL & their compatibility with players that are Region 2 only.
I don't think Paramount normally encode their DVDs to play in more than one region, so i'm pretty sure the Australian set will be for Region 4 or multi-region players only. I may be wrong though.

[Edited by MrE26 on 10-19-2003 at 10:43 am]

Kumba

Canyon said:
Sorry my friend. Over here in the UK we go by different grades in our schools. Just tell me what year you were born in and that'll do! :D

BTW, whats all this about violating the forum rules? Are we not allowed to say what our ages are? [/B]

Well Canyon, seeing in how you are so persuading, I'm sure you could ask one of your American pals what the normal age is for someone that's a junior in high school. Actually, I made up that part about violating forum rules, although, for all i know there just might be a rule that says that, haha :p . Nahh, if I told you what year it was that take all the fun away, lol. What I can tell you is that it was after 1975.

airwolf

Temple of Doom Cuts

I'm sure that on the British VHS Boxset release, the scene where short round is whipped was completely cut on there also. Is this the same for the other two scenes mentioned above by Canyon? I don't have a multiregion player, so will be stuck with the R2 DVD.

Najemikon

Region 4 is generally compatible on Region 2 only players. The majority of Australian releases are dual encoded, especially the big releases like Indy.

I can't confirm as yet whether the Indy set is definitely compatible, but I'd be very surprised if it isn't. Unfortunately, I've been unable to confirm it.

If you know of any site that may have a picture of the back cover, you might be able to see the region symbol. It may have "2,4" rather than just a single digit. Not all dual-encoded releases use this symbol, but if Indy does, at least you'll know for sure!

airwolf

Thanks for the reply! I'll certainly have a check around on the internet. I hope to god they are dual encoded. I'd hate to be stuck with the sliced and diced version. If I find anything, I'll post it.

airwolf

Well, I've checked all the R4 DVD websites that I can find, and they all say that the DVDs are R4 encoded only. This means that myself and many others who have not been blessed with multiregion DVD players will have to buy the R2. Damn Paramount Home Video and damn the BBFC. Those beggars don't mind granting meritless French hardcore films such as baise-moi an uncut theatrical release, but give them a decent title and they cut it mercilessly to ribbons. That's typical of the mindset of organisations like that in Britain. They need a good kick up the backside.

jamieuk2

Craving violence eh! I think the BBFC made their cuts to protect the rest of us from those that feel shots of hearts being ripped out enhance a kids film!

J

Najemikon

No, the BBFC decided that they understand how to edit films better than Steven Spielberg or George Lucas. Judging by Phantom Menace they may be right about the latter, but that's hardly the point. To be fair, had Temple Of Doom been resubmitted, I doubt it would have been cut this time, but it was Paramount who couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself! I've had it confirmed that the Region 4 release is NOT compatible with Region 2. A contributor on the DVD Profiler forums has the set & tested it with DVD Genie.

As I promised earlier, I am surprised by this as I have many R4 releases & only a few won't play on R2 only players. Obviously this is something else Paramount couldn't be bothered with!

Still, those with multi-region players will still find the Aussies set the best value with it being uncut.

airwolf

I'm certainly not craving violence. I just feel that it should be left to responsible adults to decide whether children should watch what I don't really believe is a kids film.

If you ask any film buff about a film they love, they will definitely want the uncut version for the simple reason that they would feel cheated if they were provided (as us Indy Fans have been) with a cut version.

The thing that irks me is the fact that it is through pure laziness on Paramount's part that they could not be bothered to submit the proper version to the BBFC. They may spend a fortune ont he restoration and the extras, but all that is completely pointless if they don't get the film itself right.

jamieuk2

Its really not that big a deal is it? Definately nothing to get angry about.

I think its worse to replace guns with walkie talkies or make Greedo shoot first!

At least the film is the same as I remember it when I was a kid.

airwolf

Well, I can officially eat my words. Since my last post I have seen the R2 DVD of "Temple of Doom" and can state emphatically that, contrary to rumour, there have been NO extra cuts made by the BBFC for the DVD. I compared the running time of the DVD to the previous UK Widescreen VHS release fromt he 2001 boxset, and the running times match tot he second, at 1:52:30.

It is still a shame that the full American version is not present, but the only thing that worried me was the supposed extra cuts made especially for the DVD.

So everyone who bought the Region 2 DVD, enjoy!!!!

Canyon

Canyon said:
Yes, dear boy. I might not live in the US, but here in the UK we have, Elstree Studios, Wested Leather, Herbert Johnson, Nathans and Burmans, not to mention the fact that Denholm Elliot, John Rhys Davies, Julian Glover, Paul Freeman and several crew members from the trilogy are British... ;)

Originally posted by Kumba
Ok, well i've never heard of Wested Leather, Herbert Johnson, Nathans and Burmans. And "dear boy"?! You must be mad woman! I'm not any boy, madame[i/]. In fact, I'm probably older than you are. You're always acting as gitty as a schoolgirl! Haha, and yes, i took that from LC :)p)

Older than me. You think so, eh? ;)

Ah, Canyon, so you'd like to know my age, eh? Well i'm afraid i'd be violating the forum's rules if i told you that information, but what i can tell you is that i'm a junior in high school. Class of '05! Yeehah!

Originally posted by Canyon

Well Canyon, seeing in how you are so persuading, I'm sure you could ask one of your American pals what the normal age is for someone that's a junior in high school. Actually, I made up that part about violating forum rules, although, for all i know there just might be a rule that says that, haha :p . Nahh, if I told you what year it was that take all the fun away, lol. What I can tell you is that it was after 1975.

Hmm interesting. Seeing as I was born before 1975 as well..... ;)

SAB

Hi guys,
I don't post here regularly but thought I'd try to help out here.

The Australia versions are not cut at all, they are the original versions. I believe Australia uses the same region coding as the UK - region 4. So you can buy them and have them shipped over without needing a multizone player.

You can buy them from this website
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223668
and get a free Indiana keyring as well!

cheers,
SAB