Why Do We Love Temple of Doom?

deveraux

VP said:
"March of the Slave Children" is nothing compared to "Slave Children's Crusade". ;)

ough... you right :eek:

But did you notice, in the extended edition it seems to has no name ...and on "John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999" it's even called "Parade Of The Slave Children" ... veeery confusing :D

deveraux

VP said:
The official name is Crusade.

yes you're right, but in the official John Williams Songbook it's definitely called "March", though it's the same song

(scroll down a bit to the tracklist)
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/pages.html?cart=338235837939441615&target=smp_detail.html%26sku%3DAP.PFM0008&s=pages-www.google.de/search&e=/sheetmusic/detail/AP.PFM0008.html&t=&k=&r=wwws-err5
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/014897/details.html

I don't know why there are so many names for one song; but let's call it furthermore "Slave Children's Crusade" ... sorry about the confusion :eek:

indyrcks

I liked the story in Temple Of Doom but I didn't like when Molo Ram pulled that guy's heart out like why and when Indy turned bad like why did they make Indy like that anyway I think it is a good Indy movie and Short Round is brilliant :D

martinland

Matt Holcomb said:
"ToD" is cinematic cocaine.
Now finally someone has found the right wording I have been looking for all my life to describe the kick I got and always will be getting out of watching Temple of Doom! :D

Dewy9

One word- Willie! It wouldn't have worked for Raiders, but it was fun to have someone who is the exact opposite of Indy get dragged along for the ride. It would be fun for Kate Capshaw have a little cameo in Indy V, if it gets made. She added a lot of humor to an otherwise dark movie. And without her, we wouldn't have "We are going to die! :mad: " Ha!

Bump...

I don't love it, but these are all reasons I enjoy it...

Jay R. Zay said:
...the soundtrack and the poster art.
VP said:
...lots of classic Indy moments, is full of action
Lon said:
...it doesn't try to be a carbon copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark
ElodieJones said:
- The mine car scene
- Saving the children
Gustav said:
The whole thing is comepletely unplanned and uncivilized...
Vlad Dracula said:
Mola Ram...spookiest Indy villain

That sums it up nicely...:hat:

michael said:
I'll drink to that, Rocket! :hat:
Cheers! :hat: There are many things that keep Temple off the junk heap. But it was similar to how they responded to Planet of the Apes. Even though it made money they began to "go cheap" on the sequel/prequel...from axing the London Symphony, to cutting development time. The list goes on. Thankfully, Indy's shoulders were broad enough to carry the extra weight.

It's kind of funny how people who "love it" only post in the hate thread though...:rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's kind of funny how people who "love it" only post in the hate thread though...:rolleyes:

Maybe because a lot of us never realized this one existed. It was comatose for almost two years!

Rocket Surgeon said:
Cheers! :hat: There are many things that keep Temple off the junk heap. But it was similar to how they responded to Planet of the Apes. Even though it made money they began to "go cheap" on the sequel/prequel...from axing the London Symphony, to cutting development time. The list goes on. Thankfully, Indy's shoulders were broad enough to carry the extra weight.

Harrison's Indy is the consistent factor. Shoulders broad enough also to keep KOTCS from completely sinking.

It doesn't make much sense for a follow-up to a successful movie to have less love bestowed upon it by it's creators . The Apes were a good example of diminishing production input and cash. They could use the excuse that by the end of the second film they'd written themselves into a corner, and Heston didn't even want to be a part of that movie in the first place.

There's little excuse for TOD being perceived as a lesser project. The star was still there, as were the main creative force. We know that production was beset by difficulties, both personal and political.

Though, through it all, there is Indy. And a story that was strangely compelling, and one that left me wanting more, and wanting to know more.

Darth Vile

Although I never think of TOD as being a great Indy movie, there are still many moments I thoroughly enjoy... be it the whole "no one's flying the plane" scene, (which is one of the best Indy homages to Hollywood movies of the 30's IMHO)... to the entire 'Short Round Helps' scene, which is a great piece of entertaining nonsense (in the best possible way). And I still love that teaser poster which hangs proudly in my home cinema. :)

Forbidden Eye

I love Temple of Doom because it's fresh. While George and Steven copied Raiders afterward and thus created the "Indy formula" the only thing that connects Temple and Raiders is the character Indiana Jones. It is the 2nd most iconic in the series, with the mice-cart chase and the bridge scene cemented in mind the same way they are with others. It also happens to be the film Indy almost looses his hat, and grabs it before the wall closes. That scenes always if referenced/spoofed as oppose to the whip one in Raiders.

I love Temple of Doom because in this day of age when family films try hard to comfort their audience, bending down to them and compromising to the point they give us tripe, Temple truly goes all the way and offers genuine scares.

I love Temple of Doom because it reminds the world Christianity and Judaism aren't the only religions in the word.

I love Temple of Doom because it has one of the most thrilling opening 22 minutes I've ever scenes and rivals many movie openings(including Raiders).

I love Temple of Doom because Harrison Ford is in his prime.

I love Temple of Doom for its terrific use of John Williams music.

I love Temple of Doom for its fantastic use of colors and locations.

I love Temple of Doom as its the only film where Indy actually wins.

I love Temple of Doom because of nostalgia and that it always brings me to more pleasant place at a more pleasant time.

I love Temple of Doom because its FUN!

JP Jones

Forbidden Eye said:
I love Temple of Doom because it's fresh. While George and Steven copied Raiders afterward and thus created the "Indy formula" the only thing that connects Temple and Raiders is the character Indiana Jones. It is the 2nd most iconic in the series, with the mice-cart chase and the bridge scene cemented in mind the same way they are with others. It also happens to be the film Indy almost looses his hat, and grabs it before the wall closes. That scenes always if referenced/spoofed as oppose to the whip one in Raiders.

I love Temple of Doom because in this day of age when family films try hard to comfort their audience, bending down to them and compromising to the point they give us tripe, Temple truly goes all the way and offers genuine scares.

I love Temple of Doom because it reminds the world Christianity and Judaism aren't the only religions in the word.

I love Temple of Doom because it has one of the most thrilling opening 22 minutes I've ever scenes and rivals many movie openings(including Raiders).

I love Temple of Doom because Harrison Ford is in his prime.

I love Temple of Doom for its terrific use of John Williams music.

I love Temple of Doom for its fantastic use of colors and locations.

I love Temple of Doom as its the only film where Indy actually wins.

I love Temple of Doom because of nostalgia and that it always brings me to more pleasant place at a more pleasant time.

I love Temple of Doom because its FUN!
You're AWESOME dude! 100% Agreed!(y)

?There?s so much movie in this movie?that?s the basic reason that ?Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? is so appealing. Its main show, a five-minute chase sequence in mining cars between Indiana and Short Round and Willie in one car and the henchmen of the evil child-abuser Mola Ram in another.

This beautifully directed and edited chase is even more exhilarating than one?s childhood memory of the roller-coaster sequence in ?This is Cinerama? (1952).

And it?s almost as exciting as a real trip on Walt Disney World?s Space Mountain. Credit Spielberg and producer Lucas? special effects team at Industrial Light & Magic for this entry on anyone?s list of filmdom?s greatest chases.? ? Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune