Indy

Raiders90

Spoilers ahead.................

It's kind of sad that Indy will be an unwilling or unknowing deadbeat dad. I wonder if that'll effect him at all, given his regret at his lack of a close relationship with his own father. Since Mutt's his son, and is about 19/20, that's 20 years he's missed out of his son's life, unwillingly much worse than his father. At least his father was there, even though he was distant. It's kind of sad to see Indy's family cycle repeat itself in that way. I wonder if that'll effect Mutt or if Indy will be angry at Marion for that.

Darth Vile

Well that's an interesting comment. You can't do much about your behavior as a father if you don't know you are a father. It's what Indy does with the rest of their relationship that counts (like many estranged fathers).

Raiders90

Darth Vile said:
Well that's an interesting comment. You can't do much about your behavior as a father if you don't know you are a father. It's what Indy does with the rest of their relationship that counts (like many estranged fathers).

I know, but I was just saying that because one of the major points of YIJ and LC is Indy's lack of closeness with his father. We saw, though, that Indy loved his father. If he didn't, he wouldn't have rescued him. The lack of a relationship obviously effected him, so it'd have to sadden him a little to realize he didn't get to see any of his son's early moments, his first words, his first crawling etc. Indy'd have to resent Marion at least a little for not allowing to even once see or get to know his own son.
In Mutt's case, won't it effect him too? To go from knowing an old guy as a stranger to all of the sudden having to call him ''Dad'', must be a big shock. He'd have to resent his mother even just a little for not allowing him to know his real father.

Skipper

Raiders112390 said:
Why do you say that?
I just don't picture him being the patient, nurturing type. Can you picture Indy playing catch with his son in the backyard? I can't. Once his kid reached a certain age, Indy would have fun hanging out with him, but I just don't think of Indy as fatherly type.

The_Raiders

Skipper said:
I just don't picture him being the patient, nurturing type. Can you picture Indy playing catch with his son in the backyard? I can't. Once his kid reached a certain age, Indy would have fun hanging out with him, but I just don't think of Indy as fatherly type.

I agree, I have said the same thing on several ocastions. :hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
And really do you see Indy of Raiders settling down with Marion for all time? Obviously Marion thought not and decided that this would probably be he best chance at being a mother and figured hey, at least it's Indy's kid. Besides if we were to go with what happened between them in the Marvel comics, there's your reason for leaving and having a child on your own.

For those who don't know, #23 is the last comic with Marion appearing. Marion goes to the airport at the end of an adventure that Indy has with some chick who needed his help in the first place. Indy and the girl get off the plane and without Indy's permission, while Marion is watching the girl kisses him and just before he pulls the girl away Marion runs off. In the context of KOTCS, she could have been pregnant at the time and was at the airport to surprise him and tell him but then that happens and she takes that as the last straw to leave. Also if Indy had proposed to her back then, he would have probably kept putting off the wedding date for his adventures.

Raiders90

Violet Indy said:
And really do you see Indy of Raiders settling down with Marion for all time? Obviously Marion thought not and decided that this would probably be he best chance at being a mother and figured hey, at least it's Indy's kid. Besides if we were to go with what happened between them in the Marvel comics, there's your reason for leaving and having a child on your own.

For those who don't know, #23 is the last comic with Marion appearing. Marion goes to the airport at the end of an adventure that Indy has with some chick who needed his help in the first place. Indy and the girl get off the plane and without Indy's permission, while Marion is watching the girl kisses him and just before he pulls the girl away Marion runs off. In the context of KOTCS, she could have been pregnant at the time and was at the airport to surprise him and tell him but then that happens and she takes that as the last straw to leave. Also if Indy had proposed to her back then, he would have probably kept putting off the wedding date for his adventures.

Basically, he needed to be free in his 30s. It wasn't time yet for him to settle down. He still had things to do. Honestly, thinking about it, it was right she had taken the kid and left, because if she hadn't, it would've had a life just like hers (either never seeing it's father, or being dragged all over the world on dangerous adventures looking for bits of junk, as Marion would say). Also, what kind of life would it be for Marion to have her husband always going off on adventures, never knowing if he might not come back and leave her a widow and their child fatherless.

When you consider it, that's the second time Indy's ruined Marion's life in a way. Left her a young mother in her 20s, no more fun for her.