Boots

silhouette53

Hi to all :)

I'm new to the forum - based in the UK
Does anyone know if its possible to buy the boots ( or ones similar ) worn by Harrison Ford in the I J movies ?
I'd appreciate any help

Thanks

Colin

Ryan Jones

Yes it is possible. His boots if I remember correctly are the Alden 405's. You can purchase them at the alden website.(www.aldenshoes.com). But, I got my pair from a friend who had a pair of Wear guard boots.

Ryan

VP

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=109

welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, silhouette53.

silhouette53

Thanks guys - pity there's nowhere in the UK stocking these boots ( as far as I can tell ) because buying direct from the USofA works out kinda steep once the customs vultures have taken their bite !! For example I recently bought two pairs of khaki pants direct from Bills Khakis and had to pay £59GBP in duties when UPS delivered my package.:mad: Still, I guess if you want something bad enough ............ LOL

Colin

roundshort

Over priced is in the eye of the beholder. Aldens are some of the best made shoes ever, not ever needs or wants steel toe, esp. int he heat or cold.

Molorom

THEY ARE,
the best shoes ever made.
Bar none. I was hesatant about buying them at first, but once i dropped
the money i was extremely happy with them. And dropping 300$ on a pair of
boots isent exactly a easy thing to do in my first year of highschool.
The oldest pair to date is around 25-26 years old. (worn the whole time)
Adam

San Holo

You can't go wrong with some good 'ol Redwings, the second best boot a man can buy. Indy was supposed to wear Redwings in the early drafts of Raiders. The model 1908 is a pretty nice substitute for the Alden's. J.Crew also puts out some close enoughs.

Eric Solo

The Alden boots are very nice but yes the price is high. The laces that come with them are kinda flimsy. I recommend replacing them with combat boot laces. Alden is good about letting you buy replacement heels and laces as needed. I just put a coat of brown shoe polish over my boots and they look much more Indy-ish without the white stitching on the toe.:)

Viper

I don't wear boot with my Indy costume, I don't know why... Indy just strikes me as a shoe person...

I kind of cheat by wearing Dr. Marten's. Those could be good if you don't mind shoes. And aren't most Dr. Marten's made in the UK?

Raider Joe

FYI- I?m a newbie around here and had been contemplating doing an Indy costume for Halloween for several years. I had incrementally collected various items but finally pulled the trigger on doing it this year.

Regarding the boots, I didn?t have anything sufficient and didn?t want to cough for the Alden 405s. I did a bit of searching and found what I believe is a very good proxy and what might be (in my opinion) a better product.

Johnston & Murphy makes a boot called the Trafford Moc Toe Boot, which sells for $140. If any of you know J&M, you know they make very good quality products and I?ve always enjoyed their shoes and leather goods in the past. Imagine my pleasant surprise to see this boot, which I think is a good fill-in for the Alden.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/catalog_detail.aspx?CNAME=Footwear&SNAME=Casual&PLOID=55433

JMTrafford.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else out there. I?ve had mine for a few weeks now and after breaking them in?which takes some time?I?ve found them to be wonderful!

Raider Joe

ClintonHammond said:
I think they look pretty good.... 140 is a more reasonable price.

I just don't like ankle-height boots....

You know, that?s what I said too! I have never been a fan of men?s boots at all. But I have really gotten into these. Maybe because I *want* to with the Indy thing or something, but they are hella comfortable, go great with khakis and jeans, and, if I lived up north again, would probably wear with corduroy pants too.

And I?m used to wearing hiking boots and such so it wasn?t a stretch too much to get into something ankle high that is a nicer looking boot. At any rate, I?ve heard that the Aldens are uncomfortable from some folks and without having worn them (I?m not able to judge it one way or another), I?ll just say that these J&Ms are great. The memory foam footbed and sole are outstanding. And you don?t have to do mail order stuff like with Alden?go visit a J&M store and get great personalized service.