Did they find the holy grail?

Gary2880

what should be an intelligent discussion.

I thought you were talking about religion, no point flinging about such contradiction in terms ;)
I'm so not going to spell out the paradox in this statement.

Sorry i just didn't have the restraint not to!

God exists.

No it doesn't. :)

But yes, i find this awesomely interesting that the staunch fundamentalists are the ones so apposed to there being a grail. I don't know why that is totally but i find it extremely curious.

While my screw is not loose enough to believe in the ramblings of the bible I would like to think that the grail and ark are still kicking about some where. While obviously they would hold no magic powers i don't see why there wouldn't be a cheast to carry around the stone tablets that moses quickly knocked up while bored up a mountain one day to pass the time. Or a cup that has captured the blood of someone that wasnt the son of a god that doesn't exist.

So yeah why not. I think its cool. Although near impossible to find, as how would you be able to tell which were real. I think theres probably enough bits of "the true cross" floating about to build noahs ark a few hundred times over ;)

WillKill4Food

Gary2880 said:
I thought you were talking about religion, no point flinging about such contradiction in terms ;)
Sorry i just didn't have the restraint not to!
No it doesn't. :)
But yes, i find this awesomely interesting that the staunch fundamentalists are the ones so apposed to there being a grail. I don't know why that is totally but i find it extremely curious.
While my screw is not loose enough to believe in the ramblings of the bible I would like to think that the grail and ark are still kicking about some where. While obviously they would hold no magic powers i don't see why there wouldn't be a cheast to carry around the stone tablets that moses quickly knocked up while bored up a mountain one day to pass the time. Or a cup that has captured the blood of someone that wasnt the son of a god that doesn't exist.
So yeah why not. I think its cool. Although near impossible to find, as how would you be able to tell which were real. I think theres probably enough bits of "the true cross" floating about to build noahs ark a few hundred times over ;)
I hate to kick a dead horse, but someone needs to respond to this.
Religious discussions can be intelligent.
Science has yet to prove the existence of or non-existence of God.
The Bible is not a collection of ramblings. It has value, whether you believe in it or not. It's histories have been proven accurate and it's messages are worthy of consideration.
You are right, though, about the absence of power in those two objects. The Ark has been powerless since the Resurrection of Christ. Hundreds of Grails must exist, or did exist, though I find it implausible that a cup was dranken from by Christ and caught his blood.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I am a bit rusty on my Bible, but I don't recall a passage (Canonical or non) of any passage that states that Jesus' blood was ever caught in a cup...

Paden

I could be entirely misinformed, but I was under the impression that the idea of Christ's blood being caught in the Grail originated with Arthurian legend. French poet Robert de Boron was reportedly the first writer to attribute such an act to Joseph of Arimathea (and such a role to the Grail), all within the context of the Arthurian cycle.

Last edited:

WillKill4Food

Paden said:
I could be entirely misinformed, but I was under the impression that the idea of Christ's blood being caught in the Grail originated with Arthurian legend. French poet Robert de Boron was reportedly the first writer to attribute such an act to Joseph of Arimathea (and such a role to the Grail), all within the context of the Arthurian cycle.
You are correct. I read that it was a, um, Christianized version of magic cauldrons in Celtic mythology.

Pale Horse is also correct. That is why I don't understand how Gary2880 finds it curious that Christians generally don't believe in the Grail. Like I said in a previous post, the Grail has no more to do with the Bible than Indiana Jones does. It's just a story related to Jesus, sort of like Ben Hur.

Gary2880

Well you know, a lot of the stuff in the bible is made up fictional tosh so why not believe in the grail as made up fictional tosh as well.. ? Most seem fine with beliving any other bit of scribble that is in the book..

I was told about someone called Mithras the other day, So apprently the story of Jesus wasn't even an original one.

From what i told, and I'm no theologan so i don't know if its true but i figure its about as true as everything else.. anyway this mithras blokey was apprently bore to a mother who was a virgin on the 25th of december (of course we all know that Jesus wasn't born on the 25th of December) in a stable type establishment, had a few followers and decipels was apprently killed for sins then came back to life the next sunday. something like 1,000 or so years before Jesus. Alegidly ;)

Maybe all this son of god thing was quite common back then! Perhaps god is a bit of a pimp? having his way with any old virgin he liked ;)

Science has yet to prove the existence of or non-existence of God.

Heard a learned man say the other day that hammered home the point from my perspective

"Just because science hasn't explained everything, doesnt mean you can fill the holes with whatever fairy storys you want"

;) :hat:

But as with the "prove the existence or non existence" I go back to the small china tea pot orbiting around the sun argument. It's too small to be seen so no one can prove it, but most rational minded people know that something so ludacris couldn't exist. a-la - god.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Gary2880: Whatever you may think of religion, there are more decent ways of making your point. Don´t flame.

Paden

Mithras (alternatively named Mithra or Mitras) was a pagan diety that was imported to the Roman Empire from both the Hindu and Zoroastrian religions. He was a solar god that reportedly did not have a system of worship devoted strictly to him until a cult dedicated to him developed amongst the Romans. Depictions of Mithras found in ancient spaces dedicated to his worship depict him being born from a stone. Strangely, the religion of Mithras only allowed male initiates. There were no female adherents of the belief system.

http://www2.evansville.edu/ecoleweb/articles/mithraism.html

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Riveting discussion, very David vs. Goliath. A future lead mod's humble beginnings? :)
WillKill4Food said:
People have claimed to be the son of God all down through history
Gary2880 said:
Maybe all this son of god thing was quite common
There's more agreement here than at first glance. Maybe everyone's right? To quote P.J. O'Rourke, "After the events of the 20th century, God, quite reasonably, left Europe."

WillKill4Food

Gary2880 said:
Well you know, a lot of the stuff in the bible is made up fictional tosh so why not believe in the grail as made up fictional tosh as well.. ?
You're the only one here that has claimed it's existence. And the Bible is not "tosh." Much of Biblical history has been shown correct through Archaeology.
Gary2880 said:
Most seem fine with beliving any other bit of scribble that is in the book..
The Holy Grail is never mentioned in the Bible. Do you read other people's posts before replying to them?
Gary2880 said:
I was told about someone called Mithras the other day, So apprently the story of Jesus wasn't even an original one.
After reading Paden's post, I'd suggest that you quit listening to whoever told you that...
Gary2880 said:
Heard a learned man say the other day that hammered home the point from my perspective
"Just because science hasn't explained everything, doesnt mean you can fill the holes with whatever fairy storys you want"
Good and valid point. However, I do wonder where you think matter comes from. Matter cannot naturally be created or destroyed. But with God, all things are possible. Actually, many scientific theories coincide with Creationism. For example, the Big Bang theory. God said, "Let there be light." And with his other words he created the universe. Of course, that's just what I believe and I've learned not to state those as fact. But, theologically, I don't see any of our stands proven wrong.
Anyway, debate is fine but at least I am willing to consider your statements. Every post you have made in a religious thread has been unthinking and blatantly hateful.
Gary2880 said:
But as with the "prove the existence or non existence" I go back to the small china tea pot orbiting around the sun argument. It's too small to be seen so no one can prove it, but most rational minded people know that something so ludacris couldn't exist. a-la - god.
If that was the only reason to believe in God, I wouldn't believe in Him. Open your eyes, Gary. I have reasons for my faith.
Moedred said:
Riveting discussion, very David vs. Goliath. A future lead mod's humble beginnings?
There's more agreement here than at first glance. Maybe everyone's right?
I'm curious as to who you were calling a future lead mod. Paden I would presume. He has been very helpful and mod-ish.
Sorry, but I don't see any other agreements. I honestly think that Gary would have argued with me if he had seen where I wrote that.

Gary2880

Open your eyes
Now that's not fair, trying to make me fall about with laughter.

After reading Paden's post, I'd suggest that you quit listening to whoever told you that...

mmm, nah, You never been told something that wasn't true before. LOL sorry, completely forgot i was talking to a christian. :) Hardly one to dictate to someone who they should and shouldn't listen to for facts are you. After reading my posts you should suggest to yourself to stop listening to the utter arse that is the bible!

Someone catching blood in a cup no, the entire earth flooding for 60 days Yes! Woman created from a rib, Yes! Heaven and Hell, Yes! Perhaps the only reason you don't believe it is because its not psycho enough.
many scientific theories coincide with Creationism

I'm afraid i missed Einstein's ?The Theory of utter Bollocks? Please forward it to me.

Matter cannot naturally be created or destroyed. But with God, all things are possible.

Fantastic.

?The universe can't have just come in to existence!?

?Ok, so where did god come from?

?Oh hes always been there, Allllll things are possible with god!?

Of course anything is possible when you just pluck it out of thin air and make it up in the first place! Its called FICTION. I'd get more sense if i argued with a rock.

theologically, I don't see any of our stands proven wrong.

Prove them RIGHT. ?My faith is all the proof i need? Your faith and belief mean squat!

As i said, the only reason GOD hasn't been proven wrong is because its such a stupid moronic impossible ?theory? to begin with! If something is that stupid impossible and outlandish to start with there is no way you can prove it wrong. I here by decree that there are small mutant dwarf like people with 6 eyes 3 arms and 5 legs under the earths crust that live on pixie dust. Science hasn't disproved it there for i am right. How can you even argue with stupidity such as that. If someone does say that the reaction isn't ?Well so far we haven't proven you wrong, so congratulations you must be right!? Its Madness!

Something is WRONG until proven RIGHT, not RIGHT until proven WRONG.

Your pitiful bunch of ingrates fill me with hatred precisely because i DO think.

?bleeh, believing what scientists say. So closed minded!?

No! because they are LEARNED men. INTELLIGENT men. More so than you or i or 90% of the population or someone who has read one book more times that someone else has read the same book and then claim to know it all! It's just trash.

I'm not going to listen to this utter arse gravy of the highest calibre any longer. I have had it with you lot. If your goal was to **** me right off and create even more contempt than i had before for you people then congratulations. Just completely and utterly infuriating.

Seldom have i had this misfortune of coming to such a place expecting to find people with some common ground sharing the same interest only to be pooped upon from a great height at every turn, housing some of the most down right rude and obnoxious self centred self righteous people I've ever talked to! Just because they believe in Jesus this and god that, or are the biggest collectors of this or that. Does that make you a good person? No. Just a bit of a tosser! No desire to stay here one moment longer. Good afternoon.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
"Pooped upon," indeed, Gary. Since arguing with rocks is such an vitriol-inducing activity for you, I suggest you either learn how to engage in civil discourse, or just leave these threads entirely alone. Continuing as you are could easily result in your not being able to continue at The Raven as you are, <I>capische</I>?

roundshort

Gary2880 said:
Seldom have i had this misfortune of coming to such a place expecting to find people with some common ground sharing the same interest only to be pooped upon from a great height at every turn, housing some of the most down right rude and obnoxious self centred self righteous people I've ever talked to! Just because they believe in Jesus this and god that, or are the biggest collectors of this or that. Does that make you a good person? No. Just a bit of a tosser! No desire to stay here one moment longer. Good afternoon.

OH-OH, Did Clinton find his way back, please check!

roundshort

Finn said:
Actually, this guy's got mildly richer vocabulary...

perhaps, clint made more sense though. I feel like I am listening to every dork that goes to UK and comes home and spends a week using cool words like tosh, wanker, etc . . .Sounds stupid over there, sounds worse over here!

You k now finn for this thread we need clint (not that I want him back) and Jay R. Zay for a true smack down! Then bring in Temp and I for comedy relief!

Finn

Staff member
roundshort said:
You k now finn for this thread we need clint (not that I want him back) and Jay R. Zay for a true smack down! Then bring in Temp and I for comedy relief!
Unfortunately, it's a lot easier for me here to influence a ban on somebody than using that influence to bring someone back.

Sometimes I honestly find it a shame.

WillKill4Food

roundshort said:
perhaps, clint made more sense though. I feel like I am listening to every dork that goes to UK and comes home and spends a week using cool words like tosh, wanker, etc . . .Sounds stupid over there, sounds worse over here!
Well, I am to new to have been a part of any of ClintonHammond's, um, debates, but I see the similarities. A few nights ago, I was skimming through the archaeology section and found his posts. Gary2880 was the first person that came to mind. But you're right. Clinton made made more sense and even had his own brand of sarcasm: pigeon jokes. Gary2880 seems to be following in Clint's footsteps.
I know that I am not the most intelligible person here and that I have had my own moments of insolence, but Gary2880's posts are constantly hateful and violently degrading. I really wish he would heed the warning given to him by mods; it seems a shame for any IndyFan to be banned, even if it is their fault.
Finn said:
Unfortunately, it's a lot easier for me here to influence a ban on somebody than using that influence to bring someone back.
Sometimes I honestly find it a shame.
Are you saying you want Clint back?
Why?
He was an obnoxious troll, though sometimes respectable.